Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,745 times

Advertisements

I feel this topic is a little out of place here since most posts are about business and STEM careers, and this career choice is unusual. Not many kids say they want to be an animal cruelty investigator when they grow up. But this is the only job I would actually look forward each day.

I have did a lot of research on the animal control & investigation field over the last few years and have finally decided to go ahead and choose this as my career choice. I have written an early plan to prepare for a future career in animal rescue. I will be going to college next year to begin the career journey. (I'm 19, delayed college for a year.) Here's my plan; it's not long and detailed but rather just a basic idea and steps to achieving my goal.

-Get a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I read that this degree could help you stand out when applying to jobs. It's not a requirement for this type of job, but I want to stand out and have a back up plan if I cannot snag a job in animal control or animal cruelty investigation.

-Go to Animal Cruelty Investigation School at University of Missouri, Columbia. A lot of Humane Societies want their certification. I don't live in Missouri, but I could enroll in their classes during summers between college years.

-Volunteer at my local humane societies to get experience. Obvious one.

-Try to get internships with county animal shelters, or job shadows. I want to learn gain a lot of experience. I'd like to try to get a temporary, part-time job at a humane society as an adoption counselor while in college. I have a job now, but an animal related career would look better on an application or resume. I'd enjoy it more too.

I have a few questions. I know animal control (county/city government) and animal cruelty investigation (humane society/nonprofit) are separate jobs. The animal control jobs that are run by local government want NACA certification, while the humane societies want the Animal Cruelty Investigation School certification. I want a humane society job if possible, but should I get certified in both?

Is anyone on CD involved in this career, do you have any suggestions I should know about? I'd like advice from someone who may know more about the outlook of this job and their experiences. I'm just worried because from what I've researched there isn't a lot of these jobs available, and it's just something I really, really would enjoy doing. No, it's not just from watching Animal Cops. I have always loved animals, I like to visit the humane society to see the animals and bring toys and food to them. Do you think my choice is realistic? Also I'm aware of the low pay, it doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Peekachu; 12-19-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 AM

881 posts, read 1,819,975 times
You should really talk to people already in the roles you are interested in. Ask them how they got started, what their everyday work entail. Ask if you can tail them for a few days. Ask them to be your mentor.

As an animal lover, are you sure you are prepared for what you might see and have to deal with on the job on a daily basis? You will see animals in horrible condition, there will be animals that can't be helped or saved. Are you prepared for that? Are you prepare to be the one who have to put down an animal that can't be controlled?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,251,532 times
I don't think there is anything odd about your choice - but if you actually want to 'save' animals (not sure if that is your goal), I would recommend alternatives. Working in any sort of front-line emergency services will absolutely desensitize you to suffering (or you will be gone within a year). I remember once upon a time giving money to the homeless, to being able to shrug off suicides and go to the gym 2 minutes later. Just be aware off that, it's harsh, but it's a reality.

Personally I'm not big on degrees in CJ, that's quite a debt to take on - have you thought of getting an associate and then perhaps finishing your degree while working, if you choose to?

In any field of CJ (including this one), a degree is not as important as your connections, your good sense, your field experience. If you are going to do the degree, make sure to volunteer and use your internships wisely - think of the studies as your ticket to getting the experience along the way, rather than your paper studies being more important.

And yes, you will deal a lot of happy healthy animals alongside the sick ones who will be euthanized for financial reasons. If you are prepared then go for it.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,586,799 times
You need to seriously look at the average salary and number of job in this field. If after having some facts and statistics, you still want to pursue the field, then go for it. I agree with the above poster in that a CJ degree won't be needed. If you want to get a full degree, you might want to look at an associated area like veterinary science.

Also, I agree you need to contact some people who are currently doing the job and ask them questions, including about job prospects, salary, geographically preferences, etc.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 AM

12,126 posts, read 23,430,114 times
Know that there are very few jobs (I wouldn't be surprised if the average was 1 person per county who was actively engaged in this type of work).

Your degree major does not matter and a CJ degree is not going to be a leg up or make you stand out. If that is what you want, fine, but don't get a CJ degree thinking it is going to be beneficial. It lets you check the "I have a degree" box just like everyone else who has a degree. From what you wrote, it sounds like the certification you mentioned is much more important than your major.

I would not be surprised (at least with some employers) that this is a position you work your way up to and not a position you are hired into.

Speak with people actually working in the field.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I will speak to someone who works in the field.There aren't a lot of jobs for this career, but that could be said for other careers too. I chose animal investigation because I want to be the one who rescues chained up, starving dogs from a backyard or any abused animals that need help. Plus the job does not only involve rescues, there is office and court work sometimes too. It will be hard emotionally seeing troubled animals but it will also be a great feeling every time you can save one.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,251,532 times
Well, you might want to talk to them about the realism of it. A lot of guys become cops to "make a difference" and truly, as time goes on, you realize how little you can change so you either get out or you harden the soul.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,525,903 times
I have yet to see a job ad in my state for this field that asked for a degree unless it was for a management position. The most common requirements I've seen are a high school diploma/GED and 1 year of experience working with animals. You can get this experience by volunteering at shelters/rescues or working as a veterinary assistant (not technician since that requires an associate's degree) or kennel technician. This job pays about $15 an hour (might vary a little by region) with little room for growth. I agree with others that a criminal justice degree will not help you stand out at all. A certificate in veterinary assisting or an associate's in veterinary technology would look better, but I think that's overkill.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM

12,126 posts, read 23,430,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekachu View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I will speak to someone who works in the field.There aren't a lot of jobs for this career, but that could be said for other careers too. I chose animal investigation because I want to be the one who rescues chained up, starving dogs from a backyard or any abused animals that need help. Plus the job does not only involve rescues, there is office and court work sometimes too. It will be hard emotionally seeing troubled animals but it will also be a great feeling every time you can save one.

Where I am at a police officer handles most of these calls and an animal control person is called in for removal. The Humane Society seems to get involved in major cases (like the crazy cat lady who has 100 cats in her house) and cases where specialized knowledge is needed, such as dealing with neglected horses and livestock.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Where I am at a police officer handles most of these calls and an animal control person is called in for removal. The Humane Society seems to get involved in major cases (like the crazy cat lady who has 100 cats in her house) and cases where specialized knowledge is needed, such as dealing with neglected horses and livestock.

Yes I would rather work with Humane Societies than the police department. I agree that they get more challenging cases. So a CJ degree will not help? Thanks for the heads up.

Sure, the pay isn't great and the jobs are hard to find but I'm passionate about doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment