Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 AM

51 posts, read 126,914 times

Advertisements

11+ years paid experience with all different ages. Specifically infants & toddlers.
Lead infant teacher experience, full time nanny experience.

cpr/first aid trained.

child development student going for bachelors degree.

Own car with clean driving record.

What do you think i should be getting paid hrly and/or weekly at this point?

I dont get paid enough at my current job.

i work full time monday-friday, 7-315.
Two kids and a big dog.

responsible for kids laundry/dishwasher/ some errands occasionally/taking care of the dog, which shes another kid herself.

My boss is so cheap:

Will not pay for any teacher holidays except for two out of the whole year!
Will not pay extra when her oldest stays home from school.
I had to ask for gas money and that was an issue.
There was a random day that they told me a few days before they wont need me. Now i feel i should be getting paid for unexpected days off, especially if the day is right before a big school break where i will not get paid for 6 days! That was an issue.
I am responsible for kids laundry, but she never ever does it herself. Will leave it sitting there all weekend waiting for me on monday. Same with dishwasher, she never does it. Even after 4 days off with dishwasher full, she will leave it for me. Now i feel like i am becoming a maid.
Asked me to bring garbage pails in.
Last year, i dealt with new appliances coming to the house, delivery people coming in and out, and painters that were here for three days while me and her kid were confined to one room in the house. Its nice that shes at work not having to deal with this.
And last week asks me to go to home depot for a sink part that broke, and than asked me to go back the next day when it was wrong. What??? I am not the maid or the house renovater.

Any one have any advice or thoughts on this?

I am leaving ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM

31 posts, read 68,428 times
I recently left a nanny position. Graduate student studying adolescent counseling with pre-school teacher type experience, but no direct nanny experience. They paid me $10 an hour and would be increasing the pay once their fourth baby was born. What are your area rates like versus what you're being paid?

For your situation, tt really all depends on what you agreed upon in the beginning! Do you have a contract written out? If so, you could point to it and say that you didn't realize you would have the extra duties when you came on.

Personally, I did things like unloaded the dishwasher without a thought. I knew the mom and dad were busy, and it was something quick I could do while the kids were settling down after school. I ran errands as needed. I was also responsible for laundry associated with the kids and did it on a weekly basis. If this is your responsibility, can you get the kids to help? My charges were responsible for collecting their own dirty laundry and putting their clean clothes away each week.

Again, with the days off...what did you agree upon in the beginning? If you do end up leaving and searching for new work, ensure that you have all of the specifics laid out before you start. Make a contract of all the details and have both parties sign it. Personally, I knew that I would not be getting paid when the children were out of school and the mom took off to stay with them. There were days here and there that they didn't need me, or that they had me leave early. Sometimes they would still pay me for them, sometimes not. I didn't work, so I didn't feel the need to be paid.

Maybe you can step back and look at your position within the family. Maybe the mom is extremely busy and hasn't realized you have a problem with these tasks. Have a talk with the parents and discuss your role and responsibilities, just like you would at any job.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,603,350 times
It depends completely on where you live. I live in an area with a high cost of living, and hourly nannies get about 13-15 an hour if they speak English well, have a car, and have some education. However, you can't expect too much since basic childcare, cleaning and running errands is something that pretty much anyone can do. Also, one can get an au pair full time for a lot less if one wants that many hours. If you want to make a lot of money, then childcare is not the right career.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,218,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post
Any one have any advice or thoughts on this?

I am leaving ASAP!
Yeah, if you are leaving then what does it matter now?

If you want to stay then have you approached your employer to discuss these things?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM

The mom is very very cheap. My responsibilities in the beginning were laundry for the kids and of course clean up what we use in toys/kitchen. I brought up the dishwasher. I did alot of extra things last yr that were not part of my job and i got nothing extra for any of it. For example, i always do laundry on thursday and usually mondays. I was sick two weeks ago on a monday. I came back tuesday, not being there since friday, and the dishwasher was compltely full to the point that they didnt have forks clean. Why cant she do it? If im there, than im there but what is her problem she cant do it on the weekends? Like i said last yr, she had painters coming, delivery men. That was all done while i am there. I feel like that was not my responsibility at all and should have been done when she is home. And she gave me nothing extra at all.

I did a lot of extra things last yr such as fillling toilet paper, tissues, paper towels. Bring in extra things from extra fridge in garage. make notes of things she needs. bring down the garbage pails 2x a week and put in her manually done garage door. Shell leave a mug with coffe in the sink, pretty much for me to do. That is being a maid not a nanny. Her excuse about the garbage pails was, she doesnt like them being left out because it looks like no one is home. What??? Thats not part of my job!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:52 AM

No i disagree. Yes pretty much anyone can do it but it is my job, my source of income. If you aren;t a nanny and never have been, than you don't know. I work just like everyone else. Thats like your telling a maid or a caregiver, they shouldnt be making a lot. Not true. Its a job just like everyone else's. People have no idea the stress and how much these jobs can drain people. I am a student so this is not my career.

I don't really get what you mean childcare and cleaning and w/e is basic work that anyone can do. Whether anyone can do it or not, this is my job and my income.

And believe me, she has money. I work in a wealthy area as well. Alot of people want to pay like 8/hr. These are your kids we take care of, and homes, and pets if you have. Its a lot harder than alot of job and alot of work.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,270,419 times
Treat this like a good learning experience. Like someone else posted, you should have a very detailed agreement with exactly what you will and will not do for the money being paid. It should include what days off you have, what happens if they don't need you one day, ect. Literally everything you can think of. I'm guessing if you google it you can find some good draft agreements.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:58 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,603,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post
No i disagree. Yes pretty much anyone can do it but it is my job, my source of income. If you aren;t a nanny and never have been, than you don't know. I work just like everyone else. Thats like your telling a maid or a caregiver, they shouldnt be making a lot. Not true. Its a job just like everyone else's. People have no idea the stress and how much these jobs can drain people. I am a student so this is not my career.

I don't really get what you mean childcare and cleaning and w/e is basic work that anyone can do. Whether anyone can do it or not, this is my job and my income.

And believe me, she has money. I work in a wealthy area as well. Alot of people want to pay like 8/hr. These are your kids we take care of, and homes, and pets if you have. Its a lot harder than alot of job and alot of work.
It's not should or should not. It's basic economics - a little law called supply and demand. If very few people are qualified for a job, then it pays more. If tons of people are qualified for it, then it pays less. If you don't like what you're making, then find something more in demand, with less supply.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,250,103 times
Maybe this touches a nerve because I have two kids and a dog, so I don't really see it as rocket science, but the point that the poster made was that people are willing to pay what the work is worth. Since it is the kind of job that anybody can basically do, the pay demand is not very high, that's all. Skill and market demand.

Get what you are willing to do in writing. Things like Home Depot is ridiculous but seriously, complaining that the delivery guy is coming on days that you work? You work M-F, is she supposed to take days off work because of a delivery or appliances?

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,587,566 times
Move to an area where the competition for nannies is much stiffer.
New York, Dallas, San Francisco...there are more people wanting good nannies than there are good nannies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment