Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 PM

160 posts, read 267,698 times

Advertisements

I applied to a job at First Data. After a couple of weeks I get an email stating that they are moving forward with other candidates,etc and thank me for applying, then 3 hours later I get an email from H.R telling they are interested in me for the role I applied for and to call and set up and interview. I call and leave a message only to wake up this morning to another email received that said they are moving forward with other candidates and thanks for applying.

Within fours hours I get another call from their H.R department following up with on setting up an interview. I have not returned the last call I received today because the whole thing is getting silly. Anyone experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,206,209 times
Someone doesn't know how to use the HR-IS tool, that's all.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,236,697 times
Yea, it seems like they don't know how to use the software.

Just let someone who really wants/needs a job have this one.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,569,214 times
What's the problem? You either want the job or you don't. If you want the job, you'll go on the interview.

Seriously, who cares that the software screwed up and sent you a couple of emails. An interview is an interview.

For all the crying and complaining we get about folks not being able to secure interviews, you get an interview and you're upset because the invitation didn't arrive how you expected.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,053,986 times
Always follow through with it, even if the company is a dysfunctional pit of dimbulbs. Why? So if anyone asks - such as the folks who track unemployment benefits and who make sure you're "looking for work" - the blame for the lack of a job can be placed squarely on the dysfunctional company, not you.

My own experiences:

1) Idiot Company #1: They called me to set up a phone interview and told when they'd call me. They then skipped out on it. I called them back, left a message and sent them an email. A WEEK later, they get back to me with a bad attitude about the whole thing and set up another phone interview. They then skip out on that one as well. I again get back to them about it. Another week passes, and they set up an on-site interview. I get there and they "forgot" to send me the full job application form. I go through the interview and receive a rejection letter in the mail the next day, which means I was basically auto-rejected from the job outright. Note that this was the place where nobody there was over 25... except me, in my mid 30's. Was it a waste of time? Of course. Was the company run by idiots? Almost surely. But I played the game and can still place the blame for failure on them, not on myself for missing out.

2) Idiot Company #2: A local college was interview for a lab position. The phone interview was random but went okay. The on-site interview was a joke with a Q&A session that was elementary in nature and then a "skills assessment" section that only proved to me that the department had no clue what they were doing. They wanted me to finish installing Windows 7 on a computer, but only had instructions for Windows Vista - they are not exactly the same - and they couldn't even find the registration code for that copy of Windows 7. You'd think they'd have that on-hand before "testing my skills." Duh... They then wasted my time with a SECOND on-site interview - for a lab position that payed about $35,000 a year - where I got to chat about nothing with the department head and learn that the guy who completely buggered up the first interview is her son. Yeah for nepotism. I didn't get that job either, probably because she found another relative who needed a job more.

Long story short - go through with it. If there's a job, you might get it. If not, you at least did your best and have a funny story to tell about how idiotic corporate America is these days.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,297,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's the problem? You either want the job or you don't. If you want the job, you'll go on the interview.

Seriously, who cares that the software screwed up and sent you a couple of emails. An interview is an interview.

For all the crying and complaining we get about folks not being able to secure interviews, you get an interview and you're upset because the invitation didn't arrive how you expected.

I agree.

It may be operator error or buggy software.

It really must be nice to be so picky.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,359,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I agree.

It may be operator error or buggy software.

It really must be nice to be so picky.
I agree its probably an operator error or buggy software. I don't think the OP is out of line for thinking this whole thing is silly. I do think that the OP should call HR to clarify, a phone call holds more weight than an automated email.

Always to keep in mind, you're not working for the HR department of the Company, their shortcomings shouldn't necessarily be held against the job that you're going for.

I heard there was a decent amount of restructuring going on over at Firstdata, I'm surprised they're hiring, but obviously some stuff is unrelated to restructuring so they must have some need.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,716,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

And what happens when the software screws up again and the OP gets another "we're moving on to other candidates" email again after interviewing? Is it a real email or another glitch?

I would address the issue with a phone call.

Another example of HR.

I got a turn down letter thanking me for my interest in a position, after being hired and was on my 3rd day at the new job. This was in 1999.

It was signed by the HR woman who did my interview prior to the hiring manager. She only interviewed a handful of people and I guess couldn't remember who they hired....LOL.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,340,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And what happens when the software screws up again and the OP gets another "we're moving on to other candidates" email again after interviewing? Is it a real email or another glitch?

I would address the issue with a phone call.

Another example of HR.

I got a turn down letter thanking me for my interest in a position, after being hired and was on my 3rd day at the new job. This was in 1999.

It was signed by the HR woman who did my interview prior to the hiring manager. She only interviewed a handful of people and I guess couldn't remember who they hired....LOL.
I wonder if someone else got a letter welcoming them to the company?!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM

160 posts, read 267,698 times
[quote=Chrisk327;33660743]I agree its probably an operator error or buggy software. I don't think the OP is out of line for thinking this whole thing is silly. I do think that the OP should call HR to clarify, a phone call holds more weight than an automated email.

Always to keep in mind, you're not working for the HR department of the Company, their shortcomings shouldn't necessarily be held against the job that you're going for.

I heard there was a decent amount of restructuring going on over at Firstdata, I'm surprised they're hiring, but obviously some stuff is unrelated to restructuring so they must have some need.[/quote

Right, I am absolutely not being picky. Basically, I got a rejection letter from HR, then an email to call for an interview, then after I left a message I got another rejection letter followed by a phone call for an interview. I never thought that someone doesn't know how to use the software tool. I was not sure if I was getting the rejection letter by mistake or the acceptance by mistake.

For those who misunderstood my post, I did call back two times and not received clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment