U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 PM
 
12 posts, read 169,132 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

After a year of probation of my work in a health care setting, I was told by my manager that I did not have enough experience, despite my efforts of attempting to learn the know-hows of the job. She extended my probation twice because she wanted me to stay but despite of my improvements as my boss have stated, it wasn't good enough (it was my first job after graduating college). I was let go of that job at the end of my probation. Normally for the job I had, it's best to have clinical experience but I by passed that and took the certification test.


Now I talked to a Union President (I was in a union in my job but the union president I talked to was NOT the union president for my job) about my situation and she has said that being let go during probation does not count as being "fired" because it is sorta like a time trial for both.

Any clear explanations with this?

Last edited by johncc87; 12-01-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 9,364,120 times
Reputation: 6530
It's similar to a TERM or TEMP job, similar to an internship. If the company doesn't think you'll fit then you leave. You can state on your resume it was a TERM position and that the TERM was for 1 year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 01:47 PM
 
12 posts, read 169,132 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It's similar to a TERM or TEMP job, similar to an internship. If the company doesn't think you'll fit then you leave. You can state on your resume it was a TERM position and that the TERM was for 1 year.
So "term" is the same a temporary job?

If a job that I apply for calls this former employer of mine, will they find out if they ask if it was a term job or not?

Won't they ask HR more questions?

I was wondering because in applications, they ask you "Have you ever been fired?" Would I put "No" and then the box under I'll explain: "did not pass probation"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 9,364,120 times
Reputation: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc87 View Post
So "term" is the same a temporary job?

If a job that I apply for calls this former employer of mine, will they find out if they ask if it was a term job or not?

Won't they ask HR more questions?

I was wondering because in applications, they ask you "Have you ever been fired?" Would I put "No" and then the box under I'll explain: "did not pass probation"
no term means it was a job that had a known time. if you apply to a job where someone tells you, "you will be on probation for 1 year..." that is a TERM job because it is for a 1 year term. Temporary is similar but usually is for even a shorter period of time.

they have the right to call and ask about work history if you list them as a previous employer, that would be your choice. usually before you leave a job or you are asked not to come back you need to at least ask if you can have a positive reference from your boss...but seeing as they didnt think you were qualified then id say you are out of luck on that positive reference.

Don't explain anything after you say no. that box is meant for people that have been fired and need to explain themselves for why they were fired. just say no and leave it blank.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:36 PM
 
12 posts, read 169,132 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
no term means it was a job that had a known time. if you apply to a job where someone tells you, "you will be on probation for 1 year..." that is a TERM job because it is for a 1 year term. Temporary is similar but usually is for even a shorter period of time.

they have the right to call and ask about work history if you list them as a previous employer, that would be your choice. usually before you leave a job or you are asked not to come back you need to at least ask if you can have a positive reference from your boss...but seeing as they didnt think you were qualified then id say you are out of luck on that positive reference.

Don't explain anything after you say no. that box is meant for people that have been fired and need to explain themselves for why they were fired. just say no and leave it blank.
Thanks for the response!

I just wasn't sure if i should put "yes" or "no" under a section "have you ever been fired" or something similar like that since I was on probation during the occurrence of me being let go.

Because if I list that job, they will ask what happened. And usually in the application they have a box that asks "reasons for leaving" for each job

And also how should explain the job that I did not pass probation to the person that will be interviewing me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:45 PM
 
12,620 posts, read 10,280,477 times
Reputation: 32865
You may want to contact your former employer to see how they list your separation. If they list it as an involuntary separation, an employer may think that you lied on your application or during the interview. This would all come out during a background search.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Status: "Enjoying the winter" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,960,043 times
Reputation: 37994
When I was a supervisor of union employees they were not able to join and get any union benefits/help until after passing probation. When people failed, the shop steward would often approach me and ask for reconsideration but they had no influence. The honest answer to the question of why you left your previous job is that you were unable to pass probation. Unfortunately that doesn't sound good, especially if applying for a similar job. Calling it a term or temp job is dishonest and depending on what they may say when calling to verify you might get caught. You were, in fact fired, and what you should do is come up with some wording for both future applications and interviews that
makes it sound like you were given responsibilities that you were not yet ready for, and have since been studying to be better prepared.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
 
12 posts, read 169,132 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I was a supervisor of union employees they were not able to join and get any union benefits/help until after passing probation. When people failed, the shop steward would often approach me and ask for reconsideration but they had no influence. The honest answer to the question of why you left your previous job is that you were unable to pass probation. Unfortunately that doesn't sound good, especially if applying for a similar job. Calling it a term or temp job is dishonest and depending on what they may say when calling to verify you might get caught. You were, in fact fired, and what you should do is come up with some wording for both future applications and interviews that
makes it sound like you were given responsibilities that you were not yet ready for, and have since been studying to be better prepared.
Thanks for the response. I've been mentally preparing the words I will use in the event I get an interview. Even then, it's not guaranteed.

Should I still put "no" if there's a section of "have you ever been fired" and under my job listings should i put under "reasons for leaving" is that "i did not pass probation" ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
 
12 posts, read 169,132 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You may want to contact your former employer to see how they list your separation. If they list it as an involuntary separation, an employer may think that you lied on your application or during the interview. This would all come out during a background search.

Would I need to contact HR or my direct supervisor? I don't really want to contact my former manager unless I really have to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 9,364,120 times
Reputation: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc87 View Post
Thanks for the response!

I just wasn't sure if i should put "yes" or "no" under a section "have you ever been fired" or something similar like that since I was on probation during the occurrence of me being let go.

Because if I list that job, they will ask what happened. And usually in the application they have a box that asks "reasons for leaving" for each job

And also how should explain the job that I did not pass probation to the person that will be interviewing me?
most likely they will ask you. tell the truth. say you were hired on probation and at the end of the probationary period you were not kept. they might ask you for the reasons behind this so you would need to tell them the truth as far you not meeting their standards and what not. if i were you i would look for an entry level position or even an internship or apprenticeship, youll need some training on things you do not understand.

i dont really see you as being fired, its just a missed opportunity. most people that come into our company are hired as temps and have to serve a 6 month probation period before they learn if they are kept or let go, so they are technically temp employees if they are not kept and full time if they are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top