Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM

269 posts, read 371,079 times

Advertisements

I started a new job about a month ago, on the same day as another employee who would be doing the same job as me (although his role was marked as senior, while mine was not). Almost ever since I started I've been feeling like the poor cousin next to this guy. He has a PhD, talks extremely well and the rest of the team think he's the best thing since sliced bread, and love him. He appears to have picked up the job role very well and the team lead is constantly praising him.

Me on the other hand, I have not received any positive comments whatsoever, only negative. I'm kind of quiet, lacking in confidence and I am sure the team lead is disappointed in me. Technically I am better in some areas than the other person (I've helped him out with things) - however I don't broadcast this to everyone. Whenever the other person accomplishes anything he makes sure the team lead knows about it. I haven't really achieved anything worthy to show so far, and really it's not me to say oh look what I did. I'm more of a quiet achiever.

It's all kind of getting me down. I guess this is more of a rant, not sure what advice I'm after. I know I need to put my head down and start looking more productive, but I feel as though next to the other person I'll always look inadequate. I don't think my job is in danger or anything.

Has anyone been in a similar position? And did you do anything to change things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
I think we need more info about the job.

Also, start copying the other guy's behavior. I.e. when you accomplish something, broadcast it. Apparently that is what works in this company.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM

I'm a programmer, which is what I am best at, however so far we've been spending a lot more time analysing rather than actual coding. We haven't had a lot of direction from the team lead on what he expects from us - but the other person has taken initiative and started achieving already. He also speaks up a lot in meetings, whereas I usually stay quiet (even when I do want to say something, I can't get a word in due to the bigger personalities). I'm also the only woman, but I don't think that has anything to do with it - it's more my personality holding me back.

Thanks, I will try out being a bit more vocal about achievements (once I have some worthy of it).

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
As long as you are doing your job, there is nothing to worry about. Each position has a different role. Employers don't expect lower level positions to outshine their senior positions.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,355 times
We seem have a lot in common personality-wise, and I understand where you are coming from. I started a job with a new company a year ago, another girl started a week after me. We are in the same position, same level, part of a 5 person team. We all do the same job but we are all at different levels and Ive come to realize its ok. That's what makes it a team. We all have our strong points and help others who are weak in that area.

I felt really discouraged for the first few months because she worked a lot faster than me, like sometimes even twice or 3 times as fast and she was praised constantly. It was so annoying and made me feel inadequate. But really it was just my own confidence getting in my way.
A few months later I had my review with the management team and everything was great... They were happy with my performance and that's really what matters. Come to find out my coworker had bad quality, and just looked good from the surface because she got a lot done and in a short time. But after awhile it came back to bite.

We all have different personalities, work at different paces, and have different skill-sets. Sometimes you just have to get out of your own head.
They hired you for a reason, felt you were the best person for that position, and you have only been there a month so give yourself a break.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
As long as you are doing your job, there is nothing to worry about. Each position has a different role. Employers don't expect lower level positions to outshine their senior positions.
His role is titled senior, but we were recruited to do exactly the same job. I think he negotiated during his recruitment process for the title whereas I wasn't fussed what my title was. He is actually a few years younger than me as well, which makes me feel even worse being compared to him (which I am sure is happening).

Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks daisies76, your situation does sound a lot like mine. I feel he is only doing well on the surface as well and he sells himself very well. As I mentioned I've helped him out in a few technical areas (which he then forgets about, and then later on will mention to me, as though he is trying to teach me what I already taught him?? So frustrating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
We all have different personalities, work at different paces, and have different skill-sets. Sometimes you just have to get out of your own head.
They hired you for a reason, felt you were the best person for that position, and you have only been there a month so give yourself a break.
Thanks you are right - it's only been a month and I should be able to become more confident over time.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
Thanks, I will try out being a bit more vocal about achievements (once I have some worthy of it).
This, in my opinion, is where you make your biggest mistake. Have you ever heard a "self help guru" say "If you don't love yourself, how can you expect others to love you?". They are right. How do you expect your boss to recognize your achievements if you yourself already put them down as not worthy?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,630 times
But, if the 'senior' is coming in with the PhD and the senior has confidence as a result then perhaps what your intuition is telling you is that you feel inadequate for lack of a higher degree. Perhaps his higher degree has given him confidence. You're both doing the same job, for now, but in the future the senior could rise to an executive position after having learned the position he's in now. They listen to him and his observations perhaps because they expect more, and he could possibly give more if he were under his own direction (in time).

Emulating him might look a bit trying on your part. In other words, it might backfire. And, as you said, you're not that type of person anyway. My guess is that it would be very hard to fake a PhD in IT (?). Perhaps he has brought his research experience and connections to the company. I don't know.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
This, in my opinion, is where you make your biggest mistake. Have you ever heard a "self help guru" say "If you don't love yourself, how can you expect others to love you?". They are right. How do you expect your boss to recognize your achievements if you yourself already put them down as not worthy?
I just don't have much to show for my time there yet. While Mr PhD has already written some code that is turning out to be quite useful for us (he just took the initiative and did it without being asked). I'm probably feeling a bit envious that I can't come up with these kinds of ideas - I'm still trying to understand things that he's already grasped long ago - mostly due to me not putting my head down and really trying to learn things.

But I hear what you are saying, I think I need to focus on my own achievements no matter how small rather than comparing to everyone else. Try to have a more positive outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment