Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
He said they are working on making you a full-time perm employee. Wait awhile and see if this occurs.

Sounds like someone else brought in a family member or friend and your boss likely didn't have the power to override the decision.

Hang low...your boss wants you. That says a lot.

Really bad advice. Even if this boss is being sincere they clearly don't have the say so as to who gets hired. Whose to say this same scenario won't play out again?

To wait around and see if they make the OP a full time employee would be foolish.

OP, keep your current position, and yes you list it on your resume but start looking on your own.

Don't wait around, as the old saying goes "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:21 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I'd continue to look for work and yes of course list your current job! Just tell anywhere you apply to that you would prefer they not contact your current employer unless they are sure you have the job, many people understand this as you don't want to strain your current working relationship with anyone.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGunz View Post
...but did have some questions and wanted clarification on certain items, which included:

* Compensation
* More explanation about some of the job duties described
* Questions about FT benefits, which I currently do not receive

My boss and I talked, primarily about the job description and how it probably should be improved, based on where the organization is today and what the needs in our industry are now (the original job posting was in excess of 10 years old and was marginally modified). We did not even broach FT benefits or compensation. My boss said he'd get back to me after the holidays, after he's "batted it around" with HR and, in the meantime, would bring in a freelancer to handle some of the workload we're facing because of the departing staff member.
It sounds like miscommunication. To your boss, you two were having a conversation about how to improve the job description. However, in your mind, it was a job interview.

Did you make it clear that YOU wanted the job and that you thought you were having a formal job interview? Did you ask when a decision would be made? You already said that salary wasn't mentioned. That's because the boss probably didn't know you wanted the job. Were you qualified for the job?

Has the boss expressed any regrets or provided any explanations as to why you didn't get the job? If not, it's because he didn't know you thought it was an interview.

I would keep working the job while keeping your eye out for other possible opportunities.

Last edited by charlygal; 12-25-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 12:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Look for something else while retaining your current job. Your boss is stringing you along. You should have been searching this whole time anyways as I would never depend on someone to make you perm from a temp/contract position. It rarely happens (27%).
27% sound a bit high to me, I think 20% is a more likely number based on what I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This happened to me once at a company and I'm still very bitter about it. Made me lose faith in the company entirely and left me very hurt and upset about what happened. I was working as a contractor with a company for one and a half years full-time, but was dying to get a full-time position on the team (not contract). I started there as an intern, and quickly was promoted through ranks but couldn't seem to shake the contractor status. I was always told the company simply couldn't afford to hire another full-time spot, but that my work was very appreciated and they would do anything they could to get me hired if they could. I was also constantly praised for my work ethic and reliability. I don't think I ever heard a single complaint.

So a year and a half in, two of my coworkers in the department I work in left, so they had two unfilled positions. I immediately went to the managers and expressed my interest and they reassured me that I would get one of the spots. Next thing I know though, the job lists are online, and I'm getting strung along on trying to finalize the transition. Next I'm asked to do a hiring test "since it's only fair". I was upset, but did the test. I got strung along for a couple more weeks and next thing I know they are interviewing a bunch of other people for the position.

Long story short, they constantly told me they would give me a full-time position when it opened up, but when they did, they gave the job to TWO OTHER PEOPLE, one of which had WAY less experience than me... I left the company the week after. No way I'm going to tolerate that bull****.
Yup, sounds pretty standard to me. The two other people probably knew someone within the company. Don't you just love over privileged people?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
27% sound a bit high to me, I think 20% is a more likely number based on what I have seen.

Yup, sounds pretty standard to me. The two other people probably knew someone within the company. Don't you just love over privileged people?
Correct 27% is for positions explicitly labeled temp-to-hire. As for pure contract/temp it is probably even less than 20%. A temp job should always be something you take because it is better than unemployment while you search for a real job.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 PM

29 posts, read 51,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It sounds like miscommunication. To your boss, you two were having a conversation about how to improve the job description. However, in your mind, it was a job interview.

Did you make it clear that YOU wanted the job and that you thought you were having a formal job interview? Did you ask when a decision would be made? You already said that salary wasn't mention. That's because the boss probably didn't know you wanted the job. Were you qualified for the job?

Has the boss expressed any regrets or provided any explanations as to why you didn't get the job? If not, it's because he didn't know you thought it was an interview.

I would keep working the job while keeping your eye out for other possible opportunities.
Actually, I was asked if I was interested. I said yes and was sent the job description, after which my boss and I had that conversation. I fully expected to still be considered, if not the choice, thinking my boss was trying to amend some official details with HR. I don't see how this could have been perceived as not being interested. And being told they would tie up loose ends in the new year while hiring a freelancer in the short term doesn't suggest I should have expected my boss to then hire someone else.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 PM

389 posts, read 692,464 times
Quote:
Actually, I was asked if I was interested. I said yes and was sent the job description, after which my boss and I had that conversation. I fully expected to still be considered, if not the choice, thinking my boss was trying to amend some official details with HR. I don't see how this could have been perceived as not being interested. And being told they would tie up loose ends in the new year while hiring a freelancer in the short term doesn't suggest I should have expected my boss to then hire someone else.
It sucks, but let it go and don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'm sure it wasn't personal, anyway, the way he talked to you about it afterwards. It's pretty obvious you're an asset to your company, so use your skills and abilities to obtain a FT position elsewhere. You deserve it.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Should I even list this job on my résumé as I continue looking? I can tolerate the situation for the duration of the grant, if I had to, but I feel dumb right now. I guess that comes from thinking my boss sincerely wanted to work it out for me. But now I'm not so sure. He left me hanging and then proceeded to make all these maneuvers "behind my back."
List this job on your resume.

I think your boss was blindsided by this new hire, just as you were. Bosses have their own bosses that make decisions and the highest people on the totem pole have the final say. That's probably what happened here. Your boss probably feels very bad about the entire situation. But he cannot tell you all the details because bosses can't do that.

Don't take it personal. Politics in companies often overrule common sense. You just have to do what's best for you. If you really like this job and want to go perm, have a private meeting with your manager and express your desire to come permanent and ask the boss how long he thinks this will take and does he think it is very likely to occur. He might then open up to you about what occurred for this recent hire. He might also tell you the process he plans to go through in order to bring you on permanently, such as certain approvals that need to occur and the overall process flow for getting you permanent.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:59 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
I am working on a grant-based position and am several months in. My performance has been really good and recently someone left the company. My boss asked me if I wanted the job, said he needed to update the job description and later sent it to me. Upon review, I expressed my sincere thanks and appreciation for consideration but did have some questions and wanted clarification on certain items, which included:

* Compensation
* More explanation about some of the job duties described
* Questions about FT benefits, which I currently do not receive

My boss and I talked, primarily about the job description and how it probably should be improved, based on where the organization is today and what the needs in our industry are now (the original job posting was in excess of 10 years old and was marginally modified). We did not even broach FT benefits or compensation. My boss said he'd get back to me after the holidays, after he's "batted it around" with HR and, in the meantime, would bring in a freelancer to handle some of the workload we're facing because of the departing staff member.

After last weekend, my boss told me they'd hired someone for the role, but they'd work on figuring out some way to make me a full time, permanent employee.

I am pissed.

Should I be? Should I just leave and find something else at this point?
I'm kind of confused. It sounds like you were offered the positionn, but wanted to negotiate everything about it, including the job description, and because you did not want to begin right away (pending negotiations) he had to go out and hire someone else to do the work in the meantime. If that's the case, I can't blame them for not hiring you - sounds like they couldn't wait and you were slow to accept. Perhaps you thought you had it in the bag and didn't need to rush, but it seems like HR didn't see it that way. I think you hesitated and lost out.

Wait, just saw that you are temp to perm - possibly HR saw the outrageous price tag to hire you and changed their minds.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:28 PM

29 posts, read 51,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

Wait, just saw that you are temp to perm - possibly HR saw the outrageous price tag to hire you and changed their minds.
I didn't think about that until now. As a grant-funded employee, I am paid a higher rate than others. However, I get no benefits or paid time off. To bring me on FT might have seemed too costly to them, but I really don't know how much of a factor that was, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment