U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 AM

29 posts, read 46,058 times

Advertisements

I am working on a grant-based position and am several months in. My performance has been really good and recently someone left the company. My boss asked me if I wanted the job, said he needed to update the job description and later sent it to me. Upon review, I expressed my sincere thanks and appreciation for consideration but did have some questions and wanted clarification on certain items, which included:

* Compensation
* More explanation about some of the job duties described
* Questions about FT benefits, which I currently do not receive

My boss and I talked, primarily about the job description and how it probably should be improved, based on where the organization is today and what the needs in our industry are now (the original job posting was in excess of 10 years old and was marginally modified). We did not even broach FT benefits or compensation. My boss said he'd get back to me after the holidays, after he's "batted it around" with HR and, in the meantime, would bring in a freelancer to handle some of the workload we're facing because of the departing staff member.

After last weekend, my boss told me they'd hired someone for the role, but they'd work on figuring out some way to make me a full time, permanent employee.

I am pissed.

Should I be? Should I just leave and find something else at this point?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 AM

10,173 posts, read 15,599,329 times
Look for something else while retaining your current job. Your boss is stringing you along. You should have been searching this whole time anyways as I would never depend on someone to make you perm from a temp/contract position. It rarely happens (27%).

Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,102 posts, read 35,574,800 times
Maybe the decision to refill the position was beyond the boss's control? The fact you were given input into the process means you've been shown a lot of consideration by the boss. The quote below from your post implies you are valued by him.

Quote:
After last weekend, my boss told me they'd hired someone for the role, but they'd work on figuring out some way to make me a full time, permanent employee.
It seems like your issue is with the people in the management levels above your boss. Are you so bothered by their decisionmaking that you'd quit this workplace?

Old 12-25-2013, 08:09 AM

16,377 posts, read 20,484,373 times
He said they are working on making you a full-time perm employee. Wait awhile and see if this occurs.

Sounds like someone else brought in a family member or friend and your boss likely didn't have the power to override the decision.

Hang low...your boss wants you. That says a lot.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 9,323,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGunz View Post

I am pissed.

Should I be? Should I just leave and find something else at this point?

It would probably be best if you found something else first, rather than quit first.

You can't be blamed for being irritated, but its a better policy to keep it under wraps, you never know when you might need this current employer's cooperation in other matters in the future.

I'm sure that the employer had a very good reason to hire someone else for this particular position, I doubt if it was because of a personal dislike for you, you shouldn't take it personally.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,279,810 times
This happened to me once at a company and I'm still very bitter about it. Made me lose faith in the company entirely and left me very hurt and upset about what happened. I was working as a contractor with a company for one and a half years full-time, but was dying to get a full-time position on the team (not contract). I started there as an intern, and quickly was promoted through ranks but couldn't seem to shake the contractor status. I was always told the company simply couldn't afford to hire another full-time spot, but that my work was very appreciated and they would do anything they could to get me hired if they could. I was also constantly praised for my work ethic and reliability. I don't think I ever heard a single complaint.

So a year and a half in, two of my coworkers in the department I work in left, so they had two unfilled positions. I immediately went to the managers and expressed my interest and they reassured me that I would get one of the spots. Next thing I know though, the job lists are online, and I'm getting strung along on trying to finalize the transition. Next I'm asked to do a hiring test "since it's only fair". I was upset, but did the test. I got strung along for a couple more weeks and next thing I know they are interviewing a bunch of other people for the position.

Long story short, they constantly told me they would give me a full-time position when it opened up, but when they did, they gave the job to TWO OTHER PEOPLE, one of which had WAY less experience than me... I left the company the week after. No way I'm going to tolerate that bull****.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 AM

389 posts, read 633,657 times
Work this job while looking for a FT position elsewhere. Nothing is guaranteed.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:45 AM

29 posts, read 46,058 times
Should I even list this job on my résumé as I continue looking? I can tolerate the situation for the duration of the grant, if I had to, but I feel dumb right now. I guess that comes from thinking my boss sincerely wanted to work it out for me. But now I'm not so sure. He left me hanging and then proceeded to make all these maneuvers "behind my back."

Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 AM

389 posts, read 633,657 times
Quote:
Should I even list this job on my résumé as I continue looking? I can tolerate the situation for the duration of the grant, if I had to, but I feel dumb right now. I guess that comes from thinking my boss sincerely wanted to work it out for me. But now I'm not so sure. He left me hanging and then proceeded to make all these maneuvers "behind my back."
Why wouldn't you list it? You've been working there a while and have a good relationship with your employer.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:02 AM

453 posts, read 582,164 times
Quote:
It may not have been his decision to make. Bosses get overruled all the time by their bosses.

Besides, it's better to have this position on your résumé than to have what would appear to be a work gap, indicating yourself as currently unemployed. It's stupid as hell that employers seem only to want to hire people who already have jobs, but that seems to be the trend lately, so don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment