Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

So now even internships require candidates in that specific field to already have experience? What's this labor market coming to?

https://www2.apply2jobs.com/scrippsn...&CurrentPage=5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM

322 posts, read 384,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
So now even internships require candidates in that specific field to already have experience? What's this labor market coming to?

https://www2.apply2jobs.com/scrippsn...&CurrentPage=5
Wow, I've seen very few internships that require previous experience. The only ones that I have seen that require prev experience are looking for junior/senior level students. I have seen so many entry-level and junior level positions that are looking for 2 - 5 years of experience. The market is still very saturated with experienced folks.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Heh I have to lol, luckily not all internships are like this... At least for now

Old 01-06-2014, 02:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Why is this surprising? It is a paid internship and possibly an "Associate" level internship which are more senior level internships with hands-on role.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
"You must have previous internship experience, participation in college clubs/organizations or in-depth coursework in a related field"

I read this as: previous internship experience OR participation in college clubs/organizations OR in-depth coursework in a related field

Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM

48 posts, read 111,344 times
Not surprised considering the requirements for entry level jobs and the wages that sometimes come with them.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM

872 posts, read 1,262,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
"You must have previous internship experience, participation in college clubs/organizations or in-depth coursework in a related field"

I read this as: previous internship experience OR participation in college clubs/organizations OR in-depth coursework in a related field
This.

They are just trying to stack the odds in their favor, thinking that someone who has experience in a similar capacity will be successful in this role. Any "must haves" like this are generally wishes. If you really want something bad enough and don't tick all 703 boxes, send an email, use a cover letter, contact HR, etc. and explain yourself. These are small humps to get over, and being able to communicate your drive and passion will get you there.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM

170 posts, read 373,019 times
There is no "bottom rung of the ladder", no way to get professional experience working for a company unless you already have experience (along with 50 other requirements).

What I've done is connect with a guy who's letting me help him with some software projects he's doing in his free time. As long as I bundle that up in a presentable package, it should count as demonstrable experience.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

I read this as: previous RELEVANT internship experience OR RELEVANT participation in college clubs/organizations OR RELEVANTin-depth coursework in a related field
Fixed.

We can all say we took part in say Hall Council and Habitat for Humanity (like I did) but let's remember, it is up to the employer how strict or lenient they are for what is experience.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Fixed.

We can all say we took part in say Hall Council and Habitat for Humanity (like I did) but let's remember, it is up to the employer how strict or lenient they are for what is experience.
There's nothing to "fix" seeing as the rest of the internship requirements read:

Quote:
You should only apply for an internship that is related to your area of study
Quote:
• Assignments, projects and tasks will require fundamental knowledge and experience in the respective discipline
• You must be a rising junior, senior or graduate student at an accredited college/university
•You must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0
• You must have previous internship experience, participation in college clubs/organizations or in-depth coursework in a related field
• You must be legally eligible to work in the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment