U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 21,640 times

Advertisements

I have been working at x company for some time now. I have proven myself and to my employer that I am a valued employee. I have been offered a promotion to a higher level position but the details have yet to be discussed (duties and salary). I currently make roughly $35,000/year. I want to be prepared with what to say in the event they offer me a salary that is less than what I want. This is a promotion they came to me with based off my performance so I believe I will have some leverage. Any tips welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 9,999,799 times
What do you want to make?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
What do you want to make?
Ideally $50,000 and no lower than $40,000. Does that sound unreasonable?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:53 PM

3,662 posts, read 10,110,495 times
It depends on what the job will generate in income/productivity to the company and how well the company is doing finacially. If you are talking about a job where you can generate a couple hundred grand to the company bottom line, that is much different than one where you generate nothing and the rest of the company offsets your expense.

Also, what does the industry pay for this position? If all of your peers earn $70k, then $50 is a bargain. If they only get $25, start thinking salary reduction in exchange for job stability.

There is no one answer to your question as there are too many business variables for us to provide you with a clear cut response.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,688,018 times
What industry do you work in? Do you know what people higher up make?

Last edited by beera; 01-11-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM

615 posts, read 1,318,423 times
$35,000 to $50,000 is a big jump for an internal promotion which are typically 5% to 10%. Even going from $35,000 to $40,000 is a 14% increase.

What type of education and experience do you have and what exactly do you do?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 AM

6,101 posts, read 7,269,191 times
Is it a step up to management or the same role with just higher pay? It's a bit hard to make a large jump without previous management experience. After 2 years experience, you would be worth significantly more.

Generally, internal moves will always be smaller than jumping ship. Other companies have lure you away with extra cash.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 9,999,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodDum2014 View Post
Ideally $50,000 and no lower than $40,000. Does that sound unreasonable?
Depends on the role, however, a step fashion promotion (on a ladder system) would probably be more around 15-20% increase in pay. You really need to sit down with your boss and discuss your employment plan with the company. You really need to make a list of goals that you would like to achieve (in the broad sense) and then list things (that your boss can help you with) that will help you get there.

Do not be surprised if the increase is more around the 8% margin. At the company I currently work at I have come to hear through the grapevine that the raises are poor and many people do not get promoted. It all depends on the company and how they view your work. If you are an essential asset they will have no problem honoring that with a nice promotion and raise.

You can try to negotiate a little, however, often times you are not in a position to do so. What are you going to say, "I want a 15% raise and if you can not meet me there then I will stay at my current position"? You are really subject to what they are willing to offer you. If they offer you something you are not comfortable with there is always more options (find a different job). Express what you would like to earn in x position and see what they offer, go from there. Good luck

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM

11,413 posts, read 20,855,168 times
Can't say without knowing the salary range for the position, what current holders of the position make and what they typically start that position out in. Internal promotions like this generally don't have huge pay raises and you really don't have a position to bargain from, but they may have a little wiggle room. Where I work it is, "Here is the position and this is the pay." If you don't take it, they move on to candidate #2.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Can't say without knowing the salary for the position, what current holders of the position make and what they typically start that position out in. Internal promotions like this generalIy won't have huge pay raises and you really don't have a position to bargain from, but they may have a little wiggle room. Where I work it is, "Here is the position and this is the pay." If you don't take it, they move on to candidate #2.
All I know right now is that they are creating this position for me. So, it is not an established position already. It will be a lead position and I will be assisting my manager with his duties because he needs back up. I work in the medical field/customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment