U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,524,406 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a part-time job to supplement my day job. Elance has been mentioned in many books I've read. Has anyone used it to freelance their skills? If so, do you have any advice? Is there a better freelancing website to seek work? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM

144 posts, read 251,624 times
I suppose it's all relative to your skill-set and how well you market it, but be prepared to compete against a cesspool of Indian and Filipino freelancers charging $2-$5/hr. https://www.odesk.com/ is also a good site with tests you can take to attract more clients and increase your job bids.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
I suppose it's all relative to your skill-set and how well you market it, but be prepared to compete against a cesspool of Indian and Filipino freelancers charging $2-$5/hr. https://www.odesk.com/ is also a good site with tests you can take to attract more clients and increase your job bids.
Thank you for your response. That's what I've been hearing...

Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM

24 posts, read 36,706 times
I've placed bids on several jobs, but have either been outbid by people willing to work for $2/H (as a poster above mentioned), or I have won a project, only for the project to never get off the ground. It's been my experience that elance has a fair number of questionable people (both those seeking work and those seeking workers) using its service.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,345,244 times
I've used Odesk successfully for awhile, but I had to lowball myself. We're talking working for like $7-8 an hour for work that I normally am paid $30-40 an hour for at a company. Repeat clients often would honor my raise prices on subsequent projects and I eventually made $15-20 an hour, which is better, but still not great.

As many others have said, I found both Odesk and Elance hard to break into. You have one group of people which is the people in India and Chine literally charging $1-2 an hour for work, and the other group of people with like 15 years of Elance experience and your profile pales in comparison to them when they have 100s of complete projects and client reviews.

I also heard that odesk and elance are merging, so I don't think they will be separate for much longer. All and all, I did it for about 8 months, but wouldn't do it again.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 11,916,329 times
I've done freelance web design on elance.com. There's a lot of competition but if you stick with it, you'll get something here and there.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM

24,497 posts, read 39,194,764 times
I had done some elance work in the early 2000s. The money was okay at the time but the competition for gigs got too high for it to be worth it.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 PM

6,683 posts, read 21,326,416 times
I won a contract job on elance that lasted a year and paid $12-15/hr. I won another job that I've been on for 3 years in the same price range. Odesk and Elance have merged; as far as I can tell right now, the two sites will remain separate. I haven't placed a bid in months if not years. What I've got now is enough for me! You can bust in but it will take time. Some buyers have had bad results with non-USA providers and won't consider them any longer.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Thank you everyone who commented. It seems like I'd make the equivalent or more money waitressing part-time than using Elance! $1-2/hr?!!! Um, no thanks! I will check out the other sites mentioned as well. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM

420 posts, read 724,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Thank you everyone who commented. It seems like I'd make the equivalent or more money waitressing part-time than using Elance! $1-2/hr?!!! Um, no thanks! I will check out the other sites mentioned as well. Appreciate the feedback.
You would probably make far less than part-time waitressing. My gf is a Speech Language Pathologist and kept her restaurant job for about a year because it was such quick and good money. I absolutely hate the food service industry but servers make good money. Money management is another story altogether
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment