Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,389 times

Advertisements

I discovered I hate EET yet I love geography and history, and I have figured I need to go to college if I want to make more than a menial living.

Will having a 2 or 4 year degree in a subject like linguistics help me even if I am not able to get a job relevant to my field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:09 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Linguistics is a little different from the average concentration in the humanities. If you come out of college speaking three or four languages fluently, operationalizing your linguistics background, then that'll help you find good-paying work. If you just come out of college understanding linguistics pedantically, or perhaps being able to combine your linguistics background with some low-level capabilities to understand, read, and speak other languages, then that probably would not help you get good-paying work.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
Linguistics is not really humanities once you get into the core of it - it is much more like a health science/hard science. You start out in 1st year with simple stuff like learning about languages (the difference between romance languages and germanic languages, inflections, syntax, whatever), and then by 3rd and 4th year, you are working in-depth with detailed human physiology, speech pathology, small subsections of morphology, etc. Yes, there is a lot of learning about things like the evolution of the English language, but it's much more science than people think. History is history, linguistics is linguistics, they are not really the same thing although they overlap in some points (but only as a background).

If you can qualify as a speech language therapist, you can get a good job in hospitals or schools - but this may require graduate study, depending on your location.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I discovered I hate EET yet I love geography and history, and I have figured I need to go to college if I want to make more than a menial living.

Will having a 2 or 4 year degree in a subject like linguistics help me even if I am not able to get a job relevant to my field?
Linguistics is pretty useless, unless it's applied linguistics (teaching ESL). With graduate study you can teach adults and college students, and speech pathology is usually a different major or requires graduate study.

I have no idea what EET is.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 AM

219 posts, read 430,735 times
Can you make a good living with a linguistics degree, yes, just as you can with geography and history. It comes down to you being able to apply yourself both in college, and after. YOU can make a living using an education in these fields, just don't expect the degree to do it for you. Even with a degree in EET, the degree won't do it for you.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
You can make a good living with a geography degree if you concentrate on geographic information systems. If you learn a foreign language that the federal government needs, then you might be able to land a federal job.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Linguistics is a little different from the average concentration in the humanities. If you come out of college speaking three or four languages fluently, operationalizing your linguistics background, then that'll help you find good-paying work. If you just come out of college understanding linguistics pedantically, or perhaps being able to combine your linguistics background with some low-level capabilities to understand, read, and speak other languages, then that probably would not help you get good-paying work.

Linguistics is not the study/learning of a lot of languages "fluently." It is the study OF languages, how they work, how they developed, how they are related, parsing meaning, how various language families are structured, etc. It is possible to acquire a degree in linguistics and never learn to communicate competently in foreign languages. Linguistics majors learn ABOUT languages; they do not necessarily learn languages.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
You can be a linguist and not speak any foreign languages at all. Knowing 1 or 2 or 10 foreign languages does not make you a linguist.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
A degree in linguistics in of itself may work for getting a job in academia, teaching or some parts of the federal government. Overall, it is not a very marketable degree to be quite honest. If you have really good fluency in a foreign language that is in demand, that is more nocticable to some employers in my opinion.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
I think finding a career you are interested in then finding out what you need to do to get there is probably a better idea than just picking a major you like. I think speech language pathology can be a good career path, but I believe you need a master's. GIS or urban planning can be a good direction to go with a geography degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment