U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,011,548 times

Advertisements

I've always had very few friends and not really an outgoing woman. However, I'm tired of never getting promoted nor working for the business. I know several people younger than me that already were promoted. I don't want to forever be at entree level, doing something that hardly requires any skill at all.

I figure if I'm never going to get promoted then I'll create my own business. Does this mean I have to be very outgoing and have excellent skills in convincing people (my father is more natural at that then me). This is where I'm lacking and always have but I want to go for it anyway; I believe I can learn anything that doesn't come out natural because it's just about practice. I want to be a motivational leader at my business.

I'm tired of hearing about successful people every day while I'm just a student (I'll be done towards mid of 2015) and regular worker.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,937,685 times
Vague question is vague.

There are so many businesses out there to run and each one comes with its own skillset. What interests you? What kind of business do you want to own?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Vague question is vague.

There are so many businesses out there to run and each one comes with its own skillset. What interests you? What kind of business do you want to own?
I like statistics, anything that have to do with research and analysis, cultural exchanges and ancient history. The type of business I would like is an international organization dealing with tourism and investigation.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,937,685 times
Carmen Sandiego.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,287,899 times
You do not need to be the most outgoing person, however if you are not than you better find someone to hire that is a very outgoing person, as somebody has to let people know you exist and convince people to use you for your services or product.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
37,085 posts, read 67,590,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I like statistics, anything that have to do with research and analysis, cultural exchanges and ancient history. The type of business I would like is an international organization dealing with tourism and investigation.
Unless you have a unique idea for which there is a great demand, people are not likely to patronize a new business owner that just graduated from college for the kind of services you are talking about. When they look for a service at the various websites they are going to be looking for a lot of experience on the "About Us" section.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,935,474 times
What kind of job do you have now?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
What kind of job do you have now?
I'm working at a verification call center from home. I've been doing nothing but calling people to ask if they requested insurance quotes and if they did, tell them an agent will call them. It's a manual (luckily we don't have an automated dialer and it's us dialing from an electronic internet phone) 1-2 mins call from home.

I've been at nothing but call center for years and never get promoted. Years ago, I used to work at the sales and customer service department.... it was a nightmare and a lot worst than what I'm doing now.

Definitely no where near I want to be.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unless you have a unique idea for which there is a great demand, people are not likely to patronize a new business owner that just graduated from college for the kind of services you are talking about. When they look for a service at the various websites they are going to be looking for a lot of experience on the "About Us" section.
This is what is getting me concerned. As mentioned, I've never once been promoted in my life and the only work experience I got is working on call centers from endless years; doing nothing but work and get paid for it (feel like a robot).

In addition, I'm not even 18 nor in my early 20's. I'll be turning 27 in April and feel like I haven't gotten that much in life. Even certain girls that used to tease me in school are already successful. I feel sooooo far behind.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 10,008,409 times
I could care less if a business owner is outgoing or not. Competence and good service have nothing to do with being out going. I care more about the product than than the personality of the owner. A jerk is a good owner however obviously but Im not looking for a new friend when I go buy something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment