Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,630 times

Advertisements

I've heard conflicting things about applying for Federal jobs through USAJobs.gov. Mostly because some of their procedures have changed over the last year.

Does anyone know if attaching a resume after building one with their resume builder is necessary? Out of habit I always attach a resume in a Word document to online applications, but I wonder if I'm wasting my time.

And then, the second part of the question: If you do attach a resume, does it still have to be that super-lengthy, particular Federal resume format? Or is the resume builder for getting around that?

It's so time consuming to apply for a Federal job, I'd hate to waste time by doing something that doesn't give me an edge, or to do it wrong.

EDIT: I've googled this, but all the information is either outdated (2003) or from blurb-type website like Hubpages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
Just make sure whatever resume you use shows the answers to the questions VERBATIM. For example, if the announcement states your resume must show "2 years of working acquisitions in a DoD or similar environment, be sure your resume states "I have two years experience doing this ..." and in what capacity. If you don't answer every question explicitly, they will instantly disqualify your application. There is no wiggle room on this, and the buffoons in HR don't assume ANYTHING. Length is typically better in federal job apps, just an FYI.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:33 PM

208 posts, read 603,883 times
I would not rely on the resume builder and would attach my resume. The resume builder function has been glitchy in the past; I would not trust it to submit your resume the way you want it.

Also, your resume does not have to be of a certain format. Agree with what's already been stated - just make sure your resume is tailored to the job to which you're applying. I wouldn't say that more is better; make sure the information you're trying to get across is clear to the hiring official/reader so that there are no questions about your qualifications.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Attaching a resume takes like three mouse clicks. Why would that be a problem? Especially since a hiring manager would probably appreciate seeing a regular looking resume.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Attaching a resume takes like three mouse clicks. Why would that be a problem? Especially since a hiring manager would probably appreciate seeing a regular looking resume.
Because I have to write a resume from scratch each time and the old Federal format was ridiculous in the detail it required. I'm not lucky enough to have a career path where I can just apply for a certain job title and usethe same resume each time.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Use the resume maker. The resume maker has provides the resume format the gov desires, and it will ensure you will not skip over any info that the gov requires.

Make sure you read the position description, and tailor your resume to include key words from this position; you will have to do this with each and every position you apply for.

Many job series are similarly worded, so just keep a few resumes saved for this purpose so you are using your time efficiently.

Fed resumes are lengthy, basically opposite of the private sector.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM

872 posts, read 1,263,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This, lol. I was wondering the same thing, when OP wrote he's concerned about "wasting time."

Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Use the resume maker. The resume maker has provides the resume format the gov desires, and it will ensure you will not skip over any info that the gov requires.

Make sure you read the position description, and tailor your resume to include key words from this position; you will have to do this with each and every position you apply for.

Many job series are similarly worded, so just keep a few resumes saved for this purpose so you are using your time efficiently.

Fed resumes are lengthy, basically opposite of the private sector.
Yes, USAJobs' resume builder lets you save 5 different resumes, for each vacancy you apply to you can click to tell it which resume you want to use for that job.

And in case you don't know, probably the most important part of any vacancy announcement is the QUALIFICATIONS/Specialized Experience statement. If you can satisfy most or all of that statement, you should be deemed qualified for the job. Being 'referred to the selecting official' is a different matter having to do with govt status, military service, how high your self assessment score was, etc.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
I used it- it works, got hired, then now was hired by a diff agency and got promoted at my agency , so turrned down the other. I am moving from one area of work to a different type so tweaked the resume and added the announcement details to the write up-of my orig resume on there,
ie. black coffee, vs cafe con leche vs latte, vs frappe,,, it is all coffee but how you dress it up. I do it all on the website,,, never had a problem... and actually did have success, point-- more is better than less w feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment