Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM

291 posts, read 505,812 times

Advertisements

I'm currently interning at the VA in Orlando (WOC) and finishing up my Bachelor's in Health Services Administration. I've looked at some pathway internships and applied to two, but my application wasn't even looked at due to the amount of veterans applying. This was before my internship, now that I am interning there, would it be easier to get an interview at the least, if I applied? I would love to work there while completing my Masters degree and move up the ladder slowly.

Just need some advice

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
I'm currently interning at the VA in Orlando (WOC) and finishing up my Bachelor's in Health Services Administration. I've looked at some pathway internships and applied to two, but my application wasn't even looked at due to the amount of veterans applying. This was before my internship, now that I am interning there, would it be easier to get an interview at the least, if I applied? I would love to work there while completing my Masters degree and move up the ladder slowly.

Just need some advice

Thanks!
If you're doing a good job, I'm sure your current supervisor would help if it all possible. It couldn't hurt to apply for any jobs that come available.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
Smooze as many people as possible without trying to look like your kissing ace. It's all about who you know at the VA.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Smooze as many people as possible without trying to look like your kissing ace. It's all about who you know at the VA.
LMAO, sad but probably true. I suck at ass kissing though. Guess I'll just hope for the best

Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 AM

241 posts, read 316,717 times
A friend of mine is working at the VA. He got in through the PMF program. It's a two year fellowship for graduate students. After you attain your masters you can move up quickly to a GS-11 or GS-12, and your position can be turned to a permanent position if funding permits. Even if it doesn't turn into a full time position you'd have the time in grade to switch to another government job. If you are completing a masters degree it's a good program to look into. Did you serve? He had veterans preference so that might have helped him secure the job with the VA.

PMF

Old 01-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
A friend of mine is working at the VA. He got in through the PMF program. It's a two year fellowship for graduate students. After you attain your masters you can move up quickly to a GS-11 or GS-12, and your position can be turned to a permanent position if funding permits. Even if it doesn't turn into a full time position you'd have the time in grade to switch to another government job. If you are completing a masters degree it's a good program to look into. Did you serve? He had veterans preference so that might have helped him secure the job with the VA.

PMF
No I didn't serve, it would be much easier if I did, I think. By law they have to give preference to veterans. Even the internships are quite a task to get...

I wonder how much GS-11 - GS-12 people get paid? Definitely want to be in the system doing anything and look to transfer. It's much easier once you're in the system, I just need to find a way to get in Lol.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM

241 posts, read 316,717 times
The pay varies depending on location and step.

I.e a GS 12 step 1 in Indianapolis makes 70K but a GS 12 step 10 in San Fran makes 107K. You can find the chart here

General Schedule (GS) Salary Calculator

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,963 times
A fair number of VA hospitals look at Internal candidates for positions that are advertised. After those they consider Vets that aren't already employees - but for GS-11 and 12 positions - just because they are a vet doesn't mean they would get the job over you - In addition to Vet Status one has to have either education and yes Masters for that grade level or experience in the job. Yes I work at the VA

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
The pay varies depending on location and step.

I.e a GS 12 step 1 in Indianapolis makes 70K but a GS 12 step 10 in San Fran makes 107K. You can find the chart here

General Schedule (GS) Salary Calculator
That's crazy. That's what I love the most about the VA - the ability to move up the ladder or transfer rather quickly. My supervisor has only been with the company for about 5 years, and she's held several positions already. I wouldn't even mind relocating, depending on the state since I'm young and without baggage. Will definitely be looking more into the other internships though.

Thanks for the site

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
A fair number of VA hospitals look at Internal candidates for positions that are advertised. After those they consider Vets that aren't already employees - but for GS-11 and 12 positions - just because they are a vet doesn't mean they would get the job over you - In addition to Vet Status one has to have either education and yes Masters for that grade level or experience in the job. Yes I work at the VA
That's what I figured, I think most companies hire from within first anyway, so it's no surprise for me. It's just a bit harder for me because of the location I'm in and the amount of college graduates that are trying to get in with the VA. Once I'm working for the VA, is it really that easy to move up the grade levels? What I'm lacking is the experience, however, I plan on starting my Masters this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment