U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:06 PM

13,928 posts, read 11,258,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
who showed an inability to do the job
I guess I missed that part when I originally replied..

If it's patently obvious that they can't do the work.. First off.. That's a massive failure on whoever did the hiring. That person should be accepting the majority of the blame for it. Then.. you look at how much time and effort would it take to train the person properly? You can't train someone who can't do basic math to be a structural engineer.

But.. If you hired a secretary and they just aren't getting your phone system.. Then.. That would point to giving more training.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-29-2014, 04:48 PM

3,097 posts, read 4,142,163 times
It depends on the particular employee and situation. Like most things there is no "one size fits all" generic approach that is appropriate for every situation. If a particular employee turns out to be an obvious moron or slacker, why waste time and money prolonging the inevitable?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM

10,069 posts, read 17,654,171 times
Does progressive discipline actually work? Or is it just a way of putting off the inevitable in hopes the employee will quit first?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM

12,342 posts, read 11,366,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Does progressive discipline actually work? Or is it just a way of putting off the inevitable in hopes the employee will quit first?
It does work sometimes. I have several employees who have gone pretty far down the path and redeemed themselves. A couple eventually became outstanding employees, several became adequate, one or two were on and off disciplinary proceedings over a period of years, and a few others were fired.

In my experience, most people get it at the formal verbal warning stage.

Once it gets to written warnings my success rate is about 60%. I win more than I lose.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM

358 posts, read 475,085 times
It's not about discipline. It's corrective action. If you go to the time and expense of hiring someone, unless they do something that earns automatic termination, such as stealing, you want them to succeed and you give them every opportunity.

Training, teaching, nurturing even. You saw something in them to give them a chance. Some people don't always work out the way you expect, so you find a different way to help them succeed.

People are an investment. Some investments require work to pay off.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM

13,722 posts, read 17,803,600 times
I have trained and mentored people, but some just don't get it. No, I don't do progressive discipline. When it comes to the point that I realize they can't do the job, I let them go. And I've learned a lesson. There have been times in the past that I have given people a second chance, only to find out that my original decision was 100% correct and I shouldn't have second guessed myself. So now I make a decision and it's final.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 AM

341 posts, read 640,893 times
Depends. On some things it's a 3 strike; you're out deal.

On things like assault, no warning. See ya.

Drugs, friction with a manager, 1 and done.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,630,797 times
In my experience if you let a manager fire someone without some type of progressive discipline (or corrective action), they will abuse their power. They may not want to work with certain types of personalities, races, religions and backgrounds, even though they are great workers, and will quickly fire the person instead of giving them a chance. This causes morale issues and legal issues when someone from a protected class is fired without warning and now you are facing a lawsuit.

I remember a manager who fired an employee because she found out that the staff member had an abortion, and the manager was very pro life. She claimed the employee was not able to do her work up to standards, but the employee had nothing but good performance appraisals in the past. But as soon as she had an abortion, she suddenly became incompetent.

I think a couple of layer of management needs to buy into the decision to terminate for incompetence to verify it is not unfair and the person is really a lost cause.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 01-30-2014 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment