Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Found this interesting site which documents what employees make in the UK and what they think of their jobs. I found the tasks listed by the employees to be really interesting. There's a lot of surveys done.

Graduate Careers - A List of every graduate career and career sector

Some interesting things I observed.

-It seems in the UK that salaries of different professions are clustered a little closer together. Doctors don't make that much more than everybody else.
-Lawyers (barristers) make peanuts.
-The working hours seem to be lesser in general than the US.
-The working wages seem to be lower in general as well than the US.
-More people seem to like their jobs in general as compared to a US site such as Glassdoor.

I didn't really look at it in detail, but it kind of leads me to believe that people in the UK work less, get paid less, have a more homogeneous middle clustered salary base, and thus have a much larger middle class. I think this would actually lead to a happier life.

Maybe somebody who has lived there can comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 AM

112 posts, read 287,866 times
I've worked with barristers at the low and high end of the pay structure. The guys at the top and the judges at the big courts are making £150,000/year which is a lot but not the absurd amounts that one finds in the US. They can afford chauffeurs and yachts and regular fine dining. At the low end, barristers are making £30,000/year which is a fair amount but they complain about it and are always looking for higher paying jobs. As in the US, there are too many lawyers so there's a lot of competition which drives down salaries.

There's certainly better income distribution than in the US and probably shorter hours. The UK has the highest average working week and smallest amount of vacation time in Europe, though so there's room for improvement but things are going in the opposite direction.

I worked in the US and the UK and certainly the work culture is different. There's no ridiculous demerits for wearing the wrong colour socks or any of this nonsense like I've seen in the US. Even showing up on time is generally pretty lax in the UK whereas in the US, you'll get fired quite quickly for lateness. You don't call your boss "Mr" or "Ms" whatever, it's just their first name. There are terrible places to work with power-tripping bosses where you work long hours but not the extent that one finds in the US, at least in my experience.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Found this interesting site which documents what employees make in the UK and what they think of their jobs. I found the tasks listed by the employees to be really interesting. There's a lot of surveys done.

Graduate Careers - A List of every graduate career and career sector

Some interesting things I observed.

-It seems in the UK that salaries of different professions are clustered a little closer together. Doctors don't make that much more than everybody else.
-Lawyers (barristers) make peanuts.
-The working hours seem to be lesser in general than the US.
-The working wages seem to be lower in general as well than the US.
-More people seem to like their jobs in general as compared to a US site such as Glassdoor.

I didn't really look at it in detail, but it kind of leads me to believe that people in the UK work less, get paid less, have a more homogeneous middle clustered salary base, and thus have a much larger middle class. I think this would actually lead to a happier life.

Maybe somebody who has lived there can comment.
Despite social inequality borne out of ancient class division, it's generally a much fairer country and you have many more rights as an employee (from what I hear) and the minimum wage is higher. The same is true of other Northern European countries but to an even greater extent as the UK is probably the most capitalist of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment