Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,297,746 times

Advertisements

I have had my own business for a number of years so I haven't been in the corporate world to see for myself how things have changed up until the last 6 months. What I have been seeing, though, astounds me. What I have seen is managers that try to intimidate people, managers who really don't know/don't do much and you wonder how they even ended up with that job, managers who seem to want to control. Have we really not progressed past that in all these years? In the 80s I worked for a company that was all about empowering the employee. They asked what would make employees like their jobs better, and then as far as possible, they made it happen. Has that gone by the wayside? Or is it just something that is given lip service and nothing else?

But what I have seen when I have gone back into a business setting is people being told "no" when there is really no reason for it. I mean if something is possible and it is something that would make the employee happy, WHY NOT? Why say "no" when you can say yes? Is it a control thing?

Why tell an employee they can choose their own schedule, and then in the end you rope them into working a schedule they did not want?

Then cutting pay. Why? If you want people to be content with their jobs and eager to work their tail off for you, PAY THEM WELL. Don't insult them by cutting pay while they watch you collect your salary and goof off all day. I have seen managers talk and laugh all day (non work related) while the worker bees observe that and feel like menial slaves.

Pay people well and respect them and do everything you can to make sure they love their job. If they want to work at home and that can be done - say yes, not no! Give them the latitude to make decisions and judgment calls themselves instead of having to run to you for every little thing.

Just my thoughts on management styles. I think my management philosophy is way better than some I have seen the last 6 months. And you know what? I have had so many people who work for me tell me they love their job! Can't it be a win-win thing?

Last edited by luzianne; 02-09-2014 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:46 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,695,822 times
It's the sign of the times. Managers are pressured to make sure performance is measured in cost-savings rather than productivity. There's also a lot of pressure to make subordinates give their loyalties to their workplace and this creates a negative working environment where bullying tactics can be used. The workplace really changed after 2008. It's kind of amazing to think about it.

I've heard from people who had very positive management stories. That hasn't been my experience.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,852,419 times
Haven't there always been jerk bosses though? I don't think it's anything new.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,297,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Haven't there always been jerk bosses though? I don't think it's anything new.
Not like this. This is totally different than I have experienced before. I think Vintage_girl is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment