Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times

Advertisements

I've been around the block a few times in my pseudocareer. I've seen companies who are completely heartless, overstaff then mass fire, and don't care what destruct they live in their wake. I've also seen companies who do seem to genuinely care for and train their personnel well and the personnel usually give equivalent devotion. It's not always determined by the same of the business either.

Do you feel that your employer values you as a human being? Have you noticed differences between smaller and larger companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,986,356 times
Yes I do. As a matter of fact, I could say this about most of my employers. I didn't last long in places where this wasn't the case. The companies that treated employees like disposable goods just rubbed me the wrong way. I will gladly take a paycut to work for a company that realizes employees are people, not machines to be run at the fastest RPM possible 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,541,296 times
Why does an employer need to "value" their employees? Can you define what you mean by "value?"

Personally, I don't care if they "value" me or not as long as my check comes on time.

By the way, do all of you "value" your employers? How do you show that you "value" your employer? Certainly reciprocity is in order.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,753,609 times
Of course they value me as a human being, that would just be silly if they did not (as if they were training a dog to jump through a hoop). The question should be re-phrased to do you feel you are compensated for the job you are doing?

Most people would answer no to this question, but most will never get to a point where they are truly valued.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,986,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
By the way, do all of you "value" your employers? How do you show that you "value" your employer? Certainly reciprocity is in order.
I work a lot harder for somebody who puts the time in to maintain the company, as well as someone who respects their workers. At least in my case, the owner puts in 6 days a week, 10 hours a day of his own time to maintain the operation. That I can respect. And in turn, I show up every day, and do about 10 hours work in the span of 8 hours.

As opposed to my last job... Owner put all his kids in the best positions. They in turn messed everything up, costing the company multi million dollar accounts. What better "punishment" than a promotion? And for the workers??? No raises for several years on end. No respect for the people who were actually keeping the company afloat. And management constantly whines about how workers keep leaving (like the company is the victim). I couldn't wait to get out of that place.

I recently heard an update on this magnificent operation... Kid cost the company a 5 million dollar account due to the fact that he wasn't doing the job assigned... And he was probably collecting the largest paycheck out of all the workers. Bankruptcy is undoubtedly around the corner.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
Yes, every year when I get a good performance review and the maximum raise percentage, another promotion, or get sent to another state for a conference.
I try to be the same way with my staff, have one going to Las Vegas next month
for a user conference. Despite all of the gloom and doom, and stories about mean and greedy employers, there are still good ones out there.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:12 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,596,528 times
It is nice to feel appreciated and know that your employer cares about your being happy at your job. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to say that my employers do make me and my co-workers feel like a valued and very appreciated part of the team. I have had them ask me a couple of times if I am enjoying the job and they do a lot of really nice things for their people. One even offered to help me move this weekend. And I have only been working there for three months.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:37 PM

84 posts, read 133,868 times
when it comes to $$$ it's give & take. (unless one and/or boss is donkey)
when it comes to ppl, it's pure luck. and I've been lucky so far.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,217,574 times
At the local level, yeah, my boss values me. At the corporate level we are just an expense to be trimmed to the bare bones, with absolutely no regard to our personal well being. They wouldn't care if all their front line employees were living in their cars and eating from dumpsters, as long as they show up for their shifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment