Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,371,974 times

Advertisements

$12/hr would be more than sufficient for me. If I have a clean little car (which I have) and even just a trailer with a TV and my golf clubs and a dog and a cat - possibly a spouse down the road - heck I'd be in Heaven.

I've learned after spending a little time in jail and watching my uncle die from cancer that just being able to see the Sun shining every day is a blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,538,501 times
Marry some nurse or businesswoman who needs the greencard

Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,344,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
What do you mean by that? In the bold.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Bill Maher: "Suicide is man's way of telling God 'you can't fire me, I quite.'"
I mean a temp agency calls and demands supervisory references before they will even talk to you. You then provide them and never hear from the agency again or have a useless soft interview with them where they go over your background and say we absolutely can get you a job and you never hear from them again and the job ad you applied for is changed up a bit and reposted a week later.

Meanwhile your supervisory references are now getting phone calls from the agency not so much about checking up on you but on trying get the company to have the agency do their hiring; in other words sales calls.

They also ask where you have been applying because they want to know who is hiring. You are spending hours a day looking at job ads and they aren't so they have you do their work for them for free.

Most temp agencies will just jerk you around for leads. There have been countless threads here about their sleazy tactics, poor pay, and their scumbag clients as well.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,402,290 times
A better thing to do would be save some of the unemployment money before it ran out either by staying with a friend on a temporary basis. Throw out junk and sell any valuables for extra cash. Keep essentials. Jump on a greyhound and move somewhere with more opportunities. Somewhere with warmer weather and a better job market like texas. Even if you end up having to sleep outside somewhere at least you won't have to worry about cold. Find a shelter if you can or try to meet someone, explain your situation and stay with them while looking for work. Might as well take a chance when you can.

If you are going to be homeless, the worst thing you can do is stay where you already are. You KNOW there's no jobs, you KNOW nothing will change there. You'll be in the same situation anywhere. Only logical thing to do is go somewhere else. Nothing to lose.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,371,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I mean a temp agency calls and demands supervisory references before they will even talk to you. You then provide them and never hear from the agency again or have a useless soft interview with them where they go over your background and say we absolutely can get you a job and you never hear from them again and the job ad you applied for is changed up a bit and reposted a week later.

Meanwhile your supervisory references are now getting phone calls from the agency not so much about checking up on you but on trying get the company to have the agency do their hiring; in other words sales calls.

They also ask where you have been applying because they want to know who is hiring. You are spending hours a day looking at job ads and they aren't so they have you do their work for them for free.

Most temp agencies will just jerk you around for leads. There have been countless threads here about their sleazy tactics, poor pay, and their scumbag clients as well.
That's unreal. And just when I thought my sense of "hope" couldn't have gone down farther.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,067,020 times
There are a record number of young people that have moved back in with their parents.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 PM

313 posts, read 495,128 times
I don't own anything and I dont have children, so when I become unemployed or underemployed it's only a matter of me being a thrifty person. There are plenty of ways to earn an income legally. There's Cragislist, and there's Taskrabbit.com ... Honestly, I've never had an issue with making enough money to make rent and buy myself food. The only way I see someone completely out on the street after being long term unemployed is if they are too proud to take a job they consider "beneath" them. No job is beneath ANYONE.

I just don't see how getting to that point could ever be a possibility, unless god forbid I was in some sort of accident or got cancer and suddenly got into a major amount of medical debt and was unable to work due to injury/medical condition. But even in that situation anybody would start collecting disability for their medical disability and getting a modest amount of money to at least stay off of the streets.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
What's worse? A gap or multiple short term jobs? Either is not good.

A gap is far, far worse.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM

34,847 posts, read 30,922,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
A gap is far, far worse.
I was just interviewing for a position within the past month, which I ultimately got, and had a two month gap along with three jobs in the past calendar year. The number of jobs was a big point of contention that I had to explain and sell. The gap was never mentioned.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,606,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Temp jobs are just that - temporary and often low paying. You may be working two weeks, out of work for six, working for four, out of work again, etc. They are a last ditch effort to stay afloat, and with no regular income and no real assets, what landlord would rent to you?

Also, if someone is in this bad of a position, the odds are that they were in one of the hardest hit areas and are probably underwater on the home.
Maybe in your area, but temp agencies in this area do the vast majority of hiring for all the companies in this area. It's RARE to see a direct person to company hire, w/o a temp agency involved.

Out of the 4 big companies in this area all of them go through a temp agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment