Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times

Advertisements

Had a conversation with my supervisor today and he mentioned that they weren't happy with my performance and wanted to replace me...however he also mentioned that I need to send him a formal email stating my last day will be Mar 7...

So wait,why do I have to be the one to send it to them?

He said that there had been some others who've left also and did the same thing and still qualified for unemployment. That may be true in their states but I think some states might be more stringent than others on that. I'm not chancing it,and need to find a way to word the formal email to the effect they were replacing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Do not send the email.

I always do this to try and avoid the performance management process. Makes life and the UI claim easier.

Make them walk you down the road.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Absolutely do not do their dirty work for them by sending this email. In my experience, if you resign you are not eligible for unemployment benefits, but if they fire you, you are. I don't know how it is in your state, but I definitely wouldn't resign unless you have a really compelling reason to do so. I'm sorry they put you in this position.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
I spent an extra 6 months at one job simply because I knew that the boss wanted me to quit. Make them work for the privilege of not seeing you.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Nooooooope.

You want to stay, you want to discuss any perceived shortcomings and create an action plan to improve and become the exact employee that they need. You are completely blindsided by this and since you believe so deeply in the company/product and the superior nature of management that you will pursue any and all avenues at improvement.

There is essentially the email you send.

Essentially you want to drag this process out as long as possible, work your ass off at work and send out a bazillion resumes.

If he is serious about getting rid of you you might be able to set an end date say 2-3 months hence in exchange for your resignation.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
How long have you been on the job? If a short time you may not have enough earnings to qualify for UE from this job. He wants you to resign so you can't collect UE on his watch.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,257 times
I was asked to resign once. The deal was that I'd get a small severance check, would be able to say that I resigned and they would not contest unemployment on the condition that I signed a waiver.

Well, I thought it was better to be able to say I resigned, and I wanted to never see them again, and so I signed. Well, I did get unemployment, but "resigning" didn't help.

For one, I knew I was coerced, so I had a hard time saying I resigned. Then a few job applications asked "were you ever asked to resign", and so the truth came out there too. And, worst of all, my boss had been a horrible bully, and she bad-mouthed me to others in our industry after she left the company (hunch backed by some very otherwise hard to explain occurrences), so agreeing to "resign" status didn't seem to work in real life.

So, I would agree with others not to resign (hindsight in my case!). It could be risky with unemployment (if you would be otherwise eligible) and I am not sure the resign status really holds. On the flipside however, because the agreement I signed was a condition for the severance, unemployment was not reduced by the severance amount, so I guess if they offer you $ to resign, you should consider both angles (although if they offer you $ to resign, you might wonder why, again hindsight in my case!).

Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Absolutely do not do their dirty work for them by sending this email. In my experience, if you resign you are not eligible for unemployment benefits, but if they fire you, you are. I don't know how it is in your state, but I definitely wouldn't resign unless you have a really compelling reason to do so. I'm sorry they put you in this position.
Do NOT put anything in writing or even SAY anything.

I would consult with you're states unemployment board. I know here in NY you can receive unemployment if you were fired for not meeting performance requirements, but not if you quit or were fired for gross negligence (i.e. punching a customer/co-worker).

I would also consult with a lawyer, specifically one that deals with labor law as well. I know several reputable lawyers that will offer free or low cost consultations because they do not want to waste their time (and run their name through the mud) and your money on a frivolous suit that they have no chance of winning (and getting a bigger pay out!).

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I was asked to resign once. The deal was that I'd get a small severance check, would be able to say that I resigned and they would not contest unemployment on the condition that I signed a waiver.

For one, I knew I was coerced, so I had a hard time saying I resigned. Then a few job applications asked "were you ever asked to resign", and so the truth came out there too. And, worst of all, my boss had been a horrible bully, and she bad-mouthed me to others in our industry after she left the company (hunch backed by some very otherwise hard to explain occurrences), so agreeing to "resign" status didn't seem to work in real life
You should never have admitted to being forced to resign on the application and you should have claimed you quit for another job that fell through on your interview when asked why you left.

Ever notice how CEO's and elected officials always resign to spend more time with family or the comany was moving in a different direction. Being fired or forced to resign makes you a leper. Also that question on the app is a dummy test to see if you are foolish enough to say yes.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Had a conversation with my supervisor today and he mentioned that they weren't happy with my performance and wanted to replace me...however he also mentioned that I need to send him a formal email stating my last day will be Mar 7...

So wait,why do I have to be the one to send it to them?

He said that there had been some others who've left also and did the same thing and still qualified for unemployment. That may be true in their states but I think some states might be more stringent than others on that. I'm not chancing it,and need to find a way to word the formal email to the effect they were replacing me.
I hope you did not do it. Why would listen to him? If you disobey him, what is he going to do? Fire you? Well, they are already doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment