U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,429 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Here is my situation: I relocated to NYC for my girlfriend and I am currently working at a corporate finance job that I am VERY unhappy with - long hours, varies 60-70 / week, difficult work environment, unrealistic deadlines, etc.

I am planning to stay for another year and then will be relocating (with my significant other) to my hometown. So for the next year, do you think it would be okay to find another job? So then on my resume it would show 2 jobs in 2 years. Just FYI, I had my first job for 5 years.

Thoughts?

Would having 2 jobs in 2 years be frowned upon in finance? My reasons for leaving would be due to the aforementioned reasons at my first job and second, due to relocation.

Thanks for your opinions. Please respond if you are in the finance field or HR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM

12,625 posts, read 10,301,630 times
If you know you will be leaving in a year, why go through the trouble of getting another job? That's another learning curve, new co-workers, etc.

Sure, you could do it but why not try to get an internal job move at your current employer so that you can take advantage of a higher salary, better title/department, additional training and experience, tuition reimbursement for another degree, etc?

Use your current company to get you in the best position for the job you plan on getting once you move. Moving internally will be a lot easier than finding a new job.

Look at some of your company's job posting to see what's available.

FYI, I work in finance.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,996,247 times
I don't think it would look bad if you can "spin" it in a good way.
Sometimes there may not be any internal openings; I'm in a large organization right now and what is funny is now that I'm leaving for another job outside with better pay, there are all these openings. The pay isn't as high as the one I'm leave for though.
Maybe find something else that is contract, maybe a finance recruiter can help.
I work in accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment