U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 PM

603 posts, read 769,518 times

Advertisements

I've been told it's possible to get them for mental health disorders. I just moved to the state last month. Would I be ineligible for them? I just got hired to do security, but my anxiety and depression have gotten worse, and I've been having panic attacks ever since I finished orientation.

My job is to stand in one place for hours, and I've always had a very hard time standing up for long periods of time. And by a hard time, I'm referring to getting lightheaded and dizzy, and almost fainting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 02:33 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,910,102 times
You should probably ask on the unemployment forum -- they have a lot more answers on how to get in on the unemployment handouts.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:03 AM

721 posts, read 1,682,457 times
Forgive me for seeming uneducated about your condition but are you kidding me? I'm a security officer and I am assigned at posts where I am totally alone for 8-12 hours per shift. It's the easiest job in the world. The only anxiety I ever get is when my wifi connection is a bit slow and I can't watch Netflix.

Also, you had to have had SOME idea on what the job was about right? I'm sure you have seen security guards at work before so you knew that they generally stand around, drive around, sit around for a living right? Honestly, what were you expecting to do? Why did you even apply for the position if you knew you couldn't perform the basic task of standing?

It's like getting a job as a coal miner and then quitting the job because you didn't like to work in dark, confined areas. Gimme a break!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You should probably ask on the unemployment forum -- they have a lot more answers on how to get in on the unemployment handouts.
Wow. You act like I don't want to work and make money. Not everyone is as comfortable around people as you may be.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Forgive me for seeming uneducated about your condition but are you kidding me? I'm a security officer and I am assigned at posts where I am totally alone for 8-12 hours per shift. It's the easiest job in the world. The only anxiety I ever get is when my wifi connection is a bit slow and I can't watch Netflix.

Also, you had to have had SOME idea on what the job was about right? I'm sure you have seen security guards at work before so you knew that they generally stand around, drive around, sit around for a living right? Honestly, what were you expecting to do? Why did you even apply for the position if you knew you couldn't perform the basic task of standing?

It's like getting a job as a coal miner and then quitting the job because you didn't like to work in dark, confined areas. Gimme a break!
I won't have the opportunity to be on the internet or watch Netflix. I was told the jobs were inside buildings sitting at the front desk and doing patrol walking around, not standing in one place for hours on end, which I've always had a hard time doing.

It seems you are uneducated so maybe you should go look things up.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,383,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I won't have the opportunity to be on the internet or watch Netflix. I was told the jobs were inside buildings sitting at the front desk and doing patrol walking around, not standing in one place for hours on end, which I've always had a hard time doing.

It seems you are uneducated so maybe you should go look things up.
Look up what things? I put your described symptoms into webmd and got nothing. So what would there be to look up?

As for unemployment, you are not going to be able to qualify based on the "able and available" for work criteria most states have, not to mention you haven't worked long enough.

You will have to look at a disability claim if you want money for nothing.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Forget it. I'll probably keep looking for something that won't affect me like this.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 PM

47,531 posts, read 63,910,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Wow. You act like I don't want to work and make money. Not everyone is as comfortable around people as you may be.
Lots of people are uneasy around people and they force themselves to get over it -- myself, I'd be more stressed and depressed if I weren't working. I really don't see how you think collecting unemployment handouts would help with either stress or depression.

Besides today, there are so many kinds of medications that supposedly treat mental illness, you'd think there would be less hope of getting on disability today with all the better treatments.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:17 PM

4,983 posts, read 2,917,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
......I am assigned at posts where I am totally alone for 8-12 hours per shift. It's the easiest job in the world. The only anxiety I ever get is when my wifi connection is a bit slow and I can't watch Netflix.
Hiring?

Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Lots of people are uneasy around people and they force themselves to get over it -- myself, I'd be more stressed and depressed if I weren't working. I really don't see how you think collecting unemployment handouts would help with either stress or depression.

Besides today, there are so many kinds of medications that supposedly treat mental illness, you'd think there would be less hope of getting on disability today with all the better treatments.
I didn't know until recently I could go to the ER to get medication. My anxiety rises when I'm around people. There's a difference between just being uneasy around people and having a panic attack when you're around people.

I spoke to my local hospital and all they were able to do was send me the info of one of the psychiatrists that works there.

Last edited by strikefirefall; 02-22-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment