Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,739 times

Advertisements

With the economy and job market tanking steadily since 2008 without much rebound yet in site, I'm starting to feel hopeless with my work ambitions of just getting a solid professional job at an existing company. Thanks to the Informational Revolution (advancement of IT and internet/computer science), I feel more and more individuals are starting their own businesses and seeing lots of success with it. Working in a technical development industry, I'm always hearing tons of success stories about individuals who built up a new product/website/company from scratch, either selling it for a hefty payload (read 7 figures easy) or continue the business with tons of revenue. I mean, these are even people that are leaving their jobs to start their own company and winning big with little effort! Going from 80k salaries to millionaires in just a couple years. I also have been watching the show house hunters with my wife quite a lot and noticed that almost every time they have a couple on the show that runs their own business, they are rich and successful.

Long story short, it really seems if you have even at least some common sense and business sense, with enough ambition you can pretty easily start your own company and make it big. Is this the new American Dream? A golden ticket to success and riches?

The unfortunate thing out of all of this is the inability to find fulfillment and success just working for someone else. The job market is terrible, wages are falling and work is getting outsourced offshore, business is pretty corrupt, and income is poorly distributed. To me personally it seems next to impossible to find success and riches just working for someone else these days... My career experience and those of the ones around me make it appear starting your own company is simply the best way to go, no matter where you're at in life. In today's job market it's nearly impossible to find well paying and stable work, might as well make your own job, right??

P.S. In before people probably start posting "Start your own company then answer your own questions about how easy or hard it is". I just want to start a discussion on the idea of starting a business and just how easy it is to obtain success and riches, or if there are many more failures then I am imagining. Keep in mind I'm considering a hard working and person with some knowledge and drive is starting the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:37 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
There's just so much penny ante bull**** thinking in your post.

Anyway.

Start here:

Startup Business Failure Rate By Industry | Statistic Brain

Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
It's not easy but it's possible to have a successful business. The problem is that most people don't have the drive, intelligence, perseverance, or risk tolerance to run a business.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM

55 posts, read 58,162 times
I think at least 60% of starter fails within 1 or 2 years after start.
Easy Saying, but Hard to achieve!!!

Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
You know how to make a small fortune going into business for yourself? Start with a large one. The worst actually isn't the business that fails right away. It's the business that doesn't flop but just kind of struggles for years, with great profitability always 2 quarters away.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
If you are willing to work 80 hours a week and can survive for 5 years without making a profit, then being a small business owner is for you.

I know what I am talking about. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-08-2014, 04:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times
It is ONE of the ways, IF the business can give you a high income or an income that allows you the life you want to lead (I don't gauge success by money earned).

It is all about appropriate or high income, and there are many people who earn high incomes or at least incomes that allow them a decent lifestyle who work for others.

With that said, I understand the desire to do what one wants to do and running his own business can allow SOME of this freedom (there is boring grunt work in everything) because I truly believe that most work environments have become utterly loathsome these days.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
I wonder how to start my own business without just quitting my job first, it seems the only way to do so ethically would be if I were unemployed, as my main skill is something I am paid to do for my employer, I'd be in competition with them if I started my own business, and well I wouldn't have any time either. Seems like a catch-22.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM

55 posts, read 58,162 times
I had business experience, so all I can advise to you(OP) is 'IT's Not That EASY'.
Working for company is more EASY!!!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower7777 View Post
I had business experience, so all I can advise to you(OP) is 'IT's Not That EASY'.
Working for company is more EASY!!!
This is why working for a company is the least rewarding. Owning/managing a company is hard work and comes with a nice potential reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment