Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 PM

197 posts, read 449,779 times

Advertisements

Currently interning at a small accounting firm. I like it, the people are all pretty nice and I've gotten some pretty good experience. It was supposed to end April 15th, but on Monday one of the partners informed me that they would like to extend my internship into the summer. However, it would only be 3 days/20-25 hrs/week.

It's pretty decent pay though, $18/hr... I would take it, I can always work part-time at my job I have at school on my off days or a few evenings as well to make extra money.

However, I have had an interview scheduled for tomorrow morning with a large natural gas producer downtown. I feel like if I were to get the offer (and this could be a big if knowing how the whole interview process can be, though I did get past a phone interview) I would be more tempted by it... seeing as it would be full time, over the summer, and a different experience I would like to get before pursuing full-time opportunities in the fall (I graduate w/ 150 in Spring 2015).

So what do I do? Do I tell the partner I will take their offer on Friday? Or do I tell him my difficult situation? I feel if I take the offer, I'd be in a very awkward situation if I get the offer for the other company and it ends up being good pay... but if I tell him my situation, I feel they may be annoyed I am considering something else, and if I don't get an offer from the other company, I could be completely out of either opportunity. I mean, busy season would be over, and the other internship wouldn't begin until mid May... but still. Also, the partner said to let him know what I was going to do by Friday.

Tried not to make this a novel haha, thanks for reading, would appreciate any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I think you should consider both the money you would earn, what you would learn and the network you will build at each of these opportunities. If you want to be a CPA stay with the accounting firm but if that isn't your goal then resign from the accounting work if you receive an offer from the gas producer. Don't leave yourself with no summer job.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM

To specify - the role with the natural gas company is in their accounting department, it's industry... probably some Big 4 alums working in that department. I would be interested in it because it would be another experience for me as I'm thinking about what kind of full-time job I want to go for come recruiting season in the fall.

Unfortunately I don't know how long it would take for me to hear back from them... I'll ask in the interview tomorrow but what interviewers tell you usually isn't accurate.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
To specify - the role with the natural gas company is in their accounting department, it's industry... probably some Big 4 alums working in that department. I would be interested in it because it would be another experience for me as I'm thinking about what kind of full-time job I want to go for come recruiting season in the fall.

Unfortunately I don't know how long it would take for me to hear back from them... I'll ask in the interview tomorrow but what interviewers tell you usually isn't accurate.
When considering the choice. I would look at a couple of things only. 1)Likelyhood of getting a fulltime offer ater graduation. 2) How it contributes to your career and first position. Money would be far down the list....I would say turning down an offer from the current intership before you had a firm one from the gas company is a bad idea.

Last edited by jdm2008; 04-02-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I say take the internship extension, interview with the other guys, and if you get the new internship and prefer it, end your first internship early.

You don't owe any company anything. If they felt like they needed you for a certain length of time, they would ask you to sign a contract. You have to do what is best for YOU, and keep your decisions secret until it's time to reveal them. (Trust me, companies will do the same thing.)

Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I say take the internship extension, interview with the other guys, and if you get the new internship and prefer it, end your first internship early.

You don't owe any company anything. If they felt like they needed you for a certain length of time, they would ask you to sign a contract. You have to do what is best for YOU, and keep your decisions secret until it's time to reveal them. (Trust me, companies will do the same thing.)
Honestly going with this right now, as I'm about to leave for my interview soon. Thing is, I know nothing is a given, and there's probably a better chance I won't even get the offer anyway... but if I do and it's a good one, I feel I can give my current internship boss a good explanation... like how this is a good offer I wasn't expecting, full time, nothing personal/I liked the experience here, just want another experience before exploring full time options in the fall.

I feel they'd understand, and I feel I wouldn't be screwing them over either seeing as busy season would be over when I leave if I do. The current company I work for is really small (like 8 employees) and I do like them all, but yeah... business is business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment