Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,593,034 times

Advertisements

If you are tired of the working grind, the office politics, the dingbat bosses, etc...try considering these alternatives.

[Note that I define the traditional job here as one where you report to someone else (you might have subordinates as well) in some sort of private enterprise or organization without any sort of written, legally enforceable contract and you are hired on a "right to work" condition. This can include non-profit entities and small businesses/mom and pop places. These jobs also have NO representation and are organized as sole proprietorships/LLCs/LLPs/corporations or similar configurations.]

SELF EMPLOYED

Advantages: This is the most obvious alternative to the traditional job. You're the boss and you keep whatever $$$$ is left over from the operation. If you want you can go the partnership route but going alone gives you the most control. You work whatever hours you want and only answer to the customers.

Disadvantages: You also are on the hook for everything you and/or your business does or doesn't do. If you hire anyone as a regular employee you also will be liable for most of their actions. You can work long hours for relatively low pay in some industries and the government will be on your tail a LOT in some cases. The paperwork can be a pain in some industries as well.

ODD JOBS/HANDYMAN/DAY LABORER

Advantages: This is sort of a twist on the self-employed option except that you don't have a formal business and mostly do manual labor and low skill service for a small fee. You're free lance and often don't have a regular work schedule.

Disadvantages: Money here is tight since odd jobs don't pay very well. Some odd jobs may require you to be licensed to do (like painting) depending on where you live; I wouldn't play with the law here on this! Manual labor can be hard!

UNIONIZED WORKPLACE

Advantages: I am aware that most places are union free and unions hold a bad rep but unionized workplaces do have the advantage of a union to act as a buffer between you and a psycho manager. Wages tend to be higher vs non-union places and the working conditions tend to be better. I know that Unionized teachers and nurses tend to fare better vs. non-union ones despite media rhetoric.

Disadvantages: There are unions that are crap, to be honest. Union dues need to be paid and if they go on strike, you don't go to work as I understand it. Unionized places are rare and some industries simply don't have any meaningful union representation. If you're in a managerial position forget the union thing since you don't qualify to the best of my knowledge.

GOVERNMENT

Advantages: Jobs are somewhat more stable and less demanding vs. the traditional jobs. Benefits are usually better although wages are somewhat low. Some government jobs are not as demanding as their counterparts in the corporate world. You probably won't have to sell if you work for the government so this is good if you absolutely hate sales.

Disadvantages: Working for government means that you're working for the bureaucracy so you'll be dealing with a much SLOWER environment; change is slow in a bureaucratic workplace. Some people hold hostility to public workers given the current political environment (even if you are a lowly maintenance worker). If you live in an area where the locals' political beliefs are drastically different from your own you could encounter hostility from your coworkers. Wages can be low esp. at the local/county level.=

COOPERATIVE BUSINESS

Advantages: A cooperative (a.k.a. a co-op) business is a private enterprise where, as I understand it, people become members of the co-op and sometimes can work for the business as well. It is basically a semi-democratic company to some extent, and it shows in a somewhat friendlier environment and a less contentious workplace. Jobs are not incredibly demanding and the boss answers to the employees!

Disadvantages: Co-ops are rare (Grain co-ops are somewhat common in the farming states) and the job offerings can be meek. If you are an oddball in the group you might be treated as a second class citizen; in more progressive parts of the USA this may not be a big problem but the local Grain Co-op in rural Kansas may not like you too well if they perceive you as a weirdo.

SUPER SPECIALIZED JOB

Advantages: This is where you get a job(usually highly specialized) in a field that is very small, has a relatively small labor pool but relatively high demand. The best example I can think of is some sort of highly specialized natural science, like being the senior scientist at a research laboratory. They can still can you but they aren't going to do it out of the blue or for some stupid reason since replacing someone with that level of training and credentials is VERY DIFFICULT. Pay, benefits, and the workplace usually are pretty good overall.

Disadvantages: You are still likely working for someone who can fire you at any time. If the H1-B visa program gets abused more you might see more and more specialized jobs filled with "guest workers". Training and credentials can be time consuming and difficult to get in these fields. Also, you really have to know your stuff to succeed here; being average won't cut it!

I wrote these mostly to show the younger crowd that, despite the media talk, employers don't have you by the balls like they think. The crap that goes on in the workforce has been around long before social media (or the Internet for that matter) came on the scene. Hell I remember all the stupid crap that went on when I was in middle and high school during the 90s and companies were full of petty tyrants and Little Hitlers back then. It's not changed much.

Feel free to add other options that you can think of!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,637 times
If you don't think government or union jobs fly in the face of your first sentence. I've got some swampland to sell you.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
The problem is, in most fields, most or all of your suggestions are not options for most people.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
"Working for government means that you're working for the bureaucracy so you'll be dealing with a much SLOWER environment"

Not really. I find it busier then the private sector. Private sector can tell you to come in when they want. With more unions generally there are more days off or a fixed schedule. As a result those days pretty much have to be more productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment