U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times

Advertisements

I am in a dilemma, I need some advices. I am working in this position for 7 years. They hired me from college, start from newbie to become the lead of small group of 4 in the team of around 20 people. My company is working on outsourcing, most of IT teams got outsource except our team. My boss recently left the team and moved to another team in the company. The new boss came in but did not know much about the team. The new boss is working on resource management plan to see what the team is doing, how much work done to allocate people resource better (I have a feeling they will reduce the team size). The work is flexible, people in the team are nice, but the pay is not that high. I like the work I am doing but I don't like the pay. Since the company is doing outsourcing, I feel this position may also get outsource in a couple years. Since I am doing a lead role, I also get experience in managing people. Many people in our team come to me for guidance. I think this position may make me easier to move up to management level than purely contributor position.

My company recently formed a new IT team, the manager of the new team is one of people I worked with previously, he asked me to move over, he offered around 8% increase from my current salary if I move over. The new position will not a lead role, it is purely contributor, there will be a lot of work, since it is a new team. The new position title is one level less than my current position title. This new position will require me to learn a lot of new things and work more hours, but those new things that I learn will look good on my resume in future. The salary is a promote, but the title is a demote. I think if company continues to do outsource, my current position will get outsource first, then the new forming teams. The new position will give me opportunity to learn new technology, but I will lost the lead role I have.

Should I move to new position or should I stay in current position? Any advice would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM

64 posts, read 79,046 times
This is probably not a possibility, but the best possible path would be to get a new lead/management job with career advancement potential, paying more than your current position, at a new company, before losing your current lead/management job. But the lesser of these two evils? Will be interesting to see what others have to say. One thing is certain, it is only a matter of time before this new team is outsourced as well, even if it does last longer than your current team.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM

1,033 posts, read 2,499,672 times
Is an 8% increase worth it to go through all of that in your mind? It sounds like you are unhappy about the pay but maybe just as unhappy about not being in a lead role. It may be a bigger adjustment than you may think initially. Also, you said it would be a few years before you could be outsourced as well. I have learned that you can never look that far in the future when you're making these kind of decisions because things can drastically change again even a year from now -- and the decision making process at that point will be way different than before. So if you're basing your possible move on this outsourcing situation, I don't think that's a good idea in my opinion.

I think the best way to get a real pay raise these days is to move on to a new company. I worked for 3 years at the same company and got maybe a $7K raise throughout those 3 years. When I moved on to my new position (which took all of a few months to get), I got nearly a 20K raise overall (the old position did not have a bonus system while the new one does). I've been working at this new company for 3 years now and I've only made $6K more (although I am not counting the slight bonus increases into that). Moving on to a new company will surely give you the biggest raise. If it's going to be a few years before you could be outsourced (if that even happens), then why just keep doing what you're doing and search for a new job somewhere else in the meantime? It sounds like you have plenty of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment