U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM

163 posts, read 117,216 times

Advertisements

So I am this guys supervisor. He is new only worked 3 months, and he isn't the nicest guy to be around. But what he said the other day REALLY upset me; enough to report him. Moderator cut: inappropriate
She then said some other choice words about me not being a tattle tell. I couldn't believe it. I'd think at the least something like that deserves a write up. Thoughts?

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-06-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 11,341,737 times
People suck.

But in this case, since your income is dependent on dealing with these sucky people, you have 4 choices:

1. Go above your boss and report the issue to HR. In theory, HR is there to handle sexual harassment cases. It's their job, not your boss'. However, if you go this route, be prepared for all of the hell that will come your way, especially if your boss has already reacted the way she did.

2. Keep your mouth shut and deal with it until you can find another job.

3. Quit right now without another job lined up.

4. If you're in a big company, try to transfer to another part of the office, another department or another floor so that you no longer have to work with your boss or this guy.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 AM

BTW, I notice your username is WorkingMan86.

If no one has made these offensive comments to you and only the women in your office, then it's not your place to get involved and instigate. Only the women in which the comments were made to should be reporting anything to anyone.

If you're the guy's supervisor, meet with him and discuss how you feel about the things he says. If that doesn't resolve the issue, begin the corrective action process to fire them. That's your job.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM

527 posts, read 1,008,038 times
Whatever else you do, I'd make sure to document what happened.

Make some notes - while it's still fresh in your memory - about what the guy said and what your supervisor's response was.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM

10,460 posts, read 9,439,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

If no one has made these offensive comments to you and only the women in your office, then it's not your place to get involved and instigate. Only the women in which the comments were made to should be reporting anything to anyone.

If you're the guy's supervisor, meet with him and discuss how you feel about the things he says. If that doesn't resolve the issue, begin the corrective action process to fire them. That's your job.
I disagree. The OP is the rape-dude's supervisor. It is OPs responsibility to ensure a safe, harassment free workplace. He now knows that rape-dude drops these comments, and it will come back on OP if no action is taken.

OP's boss dropped the ball on this one.

You have to be sensitive to company politics, and I don't know what level of supervisor OP is, but the ideal course of action on this is to consult with HR. They will probably recommend a written warning, resulting in termination if the infraction is repeated again in the next X months, or they might go directly to termination.

If I were the supervisor in this case, I would have immediately suspended rape-dude (with pay) and gone to HR. Within 1-2 days HR would recommend or require termination. OP may not have this authority though.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 AM

406 posts, read 441,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

This is wrong. Sexual harassment is defined as any sexually-oriented behavior that is unwelcomed and makes you feel uncomfortable, it does not specifically have to be directed toward you or your gender.

It is then up to HR to decide whether or not your complaint warrants disciplinary action for those involved.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I disagree. The OP is the rape-dude's supervisor. It is OPs responsibility to ensure a safe, harassment free workplace. He now knows that rape-dude drops these comments, and it will come back on OP if no action is taken.

OP's boss dropped the ball on this one.

You have to be sensitive to company politics, and I don't know what level of supervisor OP is, but the ideal course of action on this is to consult with HR. They will probably recommend a written warning, resulting in termination if the infraction is repeated again in the next X months, or they might go directly to termination.

If I were the supervisor in this case, I would have immediately suspended rape-dude (with pay) and gone to HR. Within 1-2 days HR would recommend or require termination. OP may not have this authority though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
This is wrong. Sexual harassment is defined as any sexually-oriented behavior that is unwelcomed and makes you feel uncomfortable, it does not specifically have to be directed toward you or your gender.

It is then up to HR to decide whether or not your complaint warrants disciplinary action for those involved.
The issue is no one has actually come to the OP to complain about sexual harassment from this person. So it's a question of whether it's even necessary for him to bring it up to HR in the first place.

It would be best (not to mention it could save everyone's time and resources) to first discuss it with the employee and give him a chance to cool it. This is probably along of lines of what HR will do any way.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,962,822 times
Put it in writing to your boss and report it as a behavior note on the employee. That way if something happens in the future, you are protected that you notified your boss and she did nothing.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,177,162 times
I believe it is the law in some states that nobody has to complain about being harrassed directly by someone at work. If YOU are offended by his comments as a third party you absolutely can and should report him to HR immediately! I know people did that all the time when I worked in the upper Midwest. As long as nobody says anything he's going to continue this despicable behaviour and believe that he can get away with it. This needs to be taken care of now! To just have a word with this moron and then leave it alone is cowardice pure and simple.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 AM

670 posts, read 880,505 times
I would document this, and I would document your boss's comments also. Start a log. That goofball is bound to make more comments in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or