Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times

Advertisements

My wife and I celebrated tonight. She received her bonus and I got a call from my Mgr today regarding mine.

Get this: I am eligible for up to 15% of my salary. Half depends on our operation’s success and the other half, on the company. We met our numbers....blew them away in fact. The company OTOH didn’t. Huge misses, Wall Street not happy, stock in the tank.

But, the CEO went to the board and made a case for our bonuses. Heck, I was expecting X/2 but not only did we get X, we were eligible for X * 1.15. I actually got just a little less. Someone on the team had a great year and, well, earned a little more. I’m cool with that.

So, champagne, chocolate and we even invited a retired neighbor to join us for dinner.

I love my job. I love the team who works for me. I love my coworkers. I’m paid well. Since my wife won’t retire until she’s 60, why would I rush to give up the best job I’ve ever had? Besides, no one can do my job as well as me. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 03:49 AM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Some of these executives live to the top of their income. They simply can’t afford to maintain their standard of living if they were to retire. They never put the needed money away in their retirement plans. Their standard of living means more to them. You have to have all of your bills paid off before thinking of retirement.
But bills never stop just because you stop working.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
Why retire and die earlier than if you kept working? Studies prove this to be true. I know people in their 70s that still work and some that retired in their late 50s and their health is going to crap

Old 03-13-2019, 06:01 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This so-called problem is nothing new. I quit my position of 17 years and moved to another state when I reached the end of the promotional ladder for what would be at least 10 years. I had 5 promotions over that time, but the next level had people who were only in their mid-50s and not likely to be promoted to Department managers. If you want to get ahead financially any annual increases are not going to do it, you have to be promoted or go elsewhere for higher pay or lower cost of living (or both).
Take a promotion yourself by moving to new companies for more pay and bigger job title.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Age discrimination.

The norm is people lose jobs in their 40's and 50's and even 60's. Huge unemployment gaps happen and that hurts people's ability to save for retirement. Many even tap their IRA's to make ends meet during this time.

So when they finally get back on their feet the damage is done. And they hold on to those jobs like grim death.

No wonder they can't afford to retire.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Why retire and die earlier than if you kept working? Studies prove this to be true. I know people in their 70s that still work and some that retired in their late 50s and their health is going to crap

I know people who retired early still alive and well 30 years later. . . don't think that proves anything. Maybe the others retired early because their health was bad.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:09 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Hers another reason baby boomers have to still work instead of taking retirement.

That’s the finding of a 2017 2,000-person survey by TD Ameritrade. On average, millennial parents ages 19 to 37 said they received $11,011 in financial support and unpaid labor from their boomer parents, ages 50 to 70. Without that help, many millennials couldn’t support their current lifestyles, the survey found.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/savin...money-to-kids/
Not sure I buy that as written.

I'm 32. My dad helped me move furniture out of my condo that I'm selling. We rented a small U-Haul. With two guys, loading this stuff wasn't a problem, but it would have been tough to do it by myself. It would have probably cost me at least $100 if I had to hire someone to help me.

When I was little until about middle school, both of my parents worked and I often stayed with my grandparents. My grandmother would often make dinner for my parents to take home.

A lot of this is "family helping family."

Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 AM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
Majority of Americans are broke and can not afford to retire even if they wanted to. Most people never bother to saved or never saved enough. In fact, many people don't even have a six month emergency funds. Living paycheck to paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment