Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM

514 posts, read 764,395 times

Advertisements

I recently started a new position and am already incredibly dissatisfied with the environment. It is based around an open desk plan, with the only meeting rooms directly in front of where the elevators exit into. The result is that people literally schedule meetings in the middle of team space, disrupting everyone around them. One day I left to use the bathroom, only to return to find that someone had sat at my desk for a meeting! Apparently the idea behind this is that it leads to a more "open" work environment. I find it ridiculous. I can't concentrate or get anything done without feeling partially-involved in everything going around me. Everyone working here seems to have bought into it. Of course, they all seem like mostly young devs who don't know the difference. Don't get me started on the ridiculous "stand-ups" that occur every morning, forcing team-members to become utterly unproductive while they stand forced to watch some idiot move note-cards around a white board with such intense deliberation that you'd think they were directing air-traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM

389 posts, read 692,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I recently started a new position and am already incredibly dissatisfied with the environment. It is based around an open desk plan, with the only meeting rooms directly in front of where the elevators exit into. The result is that people literally schedule meetings in the middle of team space, disrupting everyone around them. One day I left to use the bathroom, only to return to find that someone had sat at my desk for a meeting! Apparently the idea behind this is that it leads to a more "open" work environment. I find it ridiculous. I can't concentrate or get anything done without feeling partially-involved in everything going around me. Everyone working here seems to have bought into it. Of course, they all seem like mostly young devs who don't know the difference. Don't get me started on the ridiculous "stand-ups" that occur every morning, forcing team-members to become utterly unproductive while they stand forced to watch some idiot move note-cards around a white board with such intense deliberation that you'd think they were directing air-traffic.
Yeah, I'd definitely have to quit that job. I don't care for people nearly enough to tolerate what you're describing on a daily basis permanently.

You're pretty much screwed unless you suck it up and learn to deal. Otherwise, you will come off as unfriendly, anti-social, and ... horror of all horrors --possibly even introverted !!

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on the ridiculous "stand-ups" that occur every morning, forcing team-members to become utterly unproductive while they stand forced to watch some idiot move note-cards around a white board with such intense deliberation that you'd think they were directing air-traffic.
Those morning meetings are scrum meetings and they are a formal, built in part of the scrum/agile process. They were designed as stand up meetings to prevent the meetings from going on past 15 minutes. It's all a part of the methodology.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,808 times
If you aren't involved in the scrum team then why is your desk there in the middle of the morning stand-up meeting?

It sounds to me that either (a) you're putting your own personal preferences about how you want the company operate above how the company actually operates, or (b) your desk is simply in the wrong place - have yourself moved away from the development team.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
This seems pretty normal for scrum. The only thing that looks a bit off is that someone sat at your desk for a meeting.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:51 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
I've heard of this and always wondered what it was about. I'm in software development and thank God they don't do this where I work.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,462 times
Quote:
I recently started a new position and am already incredibly dissatisfied with the environment.
It's scrum taken to the *wrong* level.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,560 times
We used to have meetings in team space, but only if everyone in that space was invited to the meeting.

I did fine in the open work space concept as a fresh-out-of-school developer. I choose not to put myself back in that environment at this stage in my career.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 37,994 times
what amazes me is the buzz words and concepts that pass through the field of computer science and the pressure to hero worship them

some interviewer asked me if I was familiar with agile or scrum: I was dumbfounded and felt stupid for not knowing
looked it up and studied up on it
it's nothing special
it's just a regular old daily meeting the kind we used to have back in the days when I worked for a big company
it's just the old way supervisors parceled out work and kept tabs on people's progress
same old same old only we didn't call it "agile" or "scrum"

I really wish software people would stop inventing these inventions which are just fads

while we are at it I really wish software people would stop inventing diagram methods which serve only one purpose: to make some jerk who wants to earn 2x what you are making look smart

started out flow charts
when I went to school it was data flow diagrams
then came variations of UML
now it's design patterns

not long ago you would go to an interview and hear that you are a clod and a dinosaur because you don't know some silly variation of UML
where is UML today 5-10 years later?
I have not seen one job ask for it lately

Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackneenach View Post
what amazes me is the buzz words and concepts that pass through the field of computer science and the pressure to hero worship them

some interviewer asked me if I was familiar with agile or scrum: I was dumbfounded and felt stupid for not knowing
looked it up and studied up on it
it's nothing special
it's just a regular old daily meeting the kind we used to have back in the days when I worked for a big company
it's just the old way supervisors parceled out work and kept tabs on people's progress
same old same old only we didn't call it "agile" or "scrum"

I really wish software people would stop inventing these inventions which are just fads

while we are at it I really wish software people would stop inventing diagram methods which serve only one purpose: to make some jerk who wants to earn 2x what you are making look smart

started out flow charts
when I went to school it was data flow diagrams
then came variations of UML
now it's design patterns

not long ago you would go to an interview and hear that you are a clod and a dinosaur because you don't know some silly variation of UML
where is UML today 5-10 years later?
I have not seen one job ask for it lately
I'm not a developer, but I do know agile/scrum is more than just a "fad." My company adopted it 5 years ago and it helped transform the quality of our products and how quickly we brought them to market. Agile is much, much more than just stand up meetings and open workspaces. Its a way to pinpoint exactly how long a project is going to take and where the bottlenecks are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment