Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,222,402 times

Advertisements

I work in the auto industry at a car dealer. Been doing it since 1987. I am at my current dealer for 10 years. I am going to run down the quick short version :

Work in NY.
Moved to CT 4 years ago with my wife with intent to someday look for jobs closer to home.
We travel 60 miles....each way.....120 miles. My 2013 car now has 64,500 miles on it.
Since CT has horrendous traffic, it can take 1 1/2 -2 hours each way.
We are up by 5:00 am and leave at 6:15 am......getting home is 7:30-8:00 and beyond at times.
In winter storms, it can take as much as 5 hours to get home....and its a white knuckle ride.
I work for a place that has become horribly mis-mananged.
I work with people in my dept that come in 1-2 hours late....everyday.......and the current manager doesn't do anything....even though it makes him mad.
The same people make fun of our customers when they come in and also make racist comments within earshot.
The same people talk and text and play games on their cell phones all day.
One of them has a side business of replacing IPHONE screens during work hours.
I have voiced my opinions to my dept manager to only fall on deaf ears as he is non confrontational......and this is a luxury car dealer!!!!
The ONLY thing keeping me here is my salary and complacency.

I recently got offered a job at a very high end car dealer that is very professional and everything that I believe in. I had 2 interviews already and they liked me a lot and I felt very positive about them. The owner asked my salary and because I get paid really well, I felt he would balk......but he didn't. He said I am exactly the type of guy they are looking for based on my character and integrity. He said he didn't have a problem paying good ,experienced people. So......Tuesday I have to meet with them again for my pay plan. I have been around long enough to know they will come in a little lower with incentive for more over time. This place has:

A brand new state of the art luxury building with a heated and air conditioned parts dept.
(That is unheard of in most dealers. My parts dept now is a dump. Showroom and service of course are brand new.)

This new place has a swimming pool, clubhouse and fishing lake for the employees on the premises.
They have BBQ outings there for their employees and families.
IT IS 30 MILES FROM HOME INSTEAD OF 60 EACH WAY.

My wife and I are taking steps to gain our lost work/life balance back and this could be our first step to our goal.
If you are wondering why we moved so far away, it is because my dad died up in CT and my mom is pushing 80 so my wife and I decided to move closer to her to help her if she needed us.

So.........am I crazy to not leave my current job? I have no idea how off the mark or close to the mark they will hit when I see my pay plan.

$10,000.....$15,000 less and we could probably do it......anything more than that would be a little tough. I hate that money has to be a deciding factor in this but we do have bills to pay like everyone else.....but we need to get some of our life back somehow.

We are savers and don't live above our means at all so that does help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,712,348 times
As long as you can make it financially I'd do it. I learned a few years ago that my peace of mind and my family time is more important than living at work. I work hard when I'm there, but enjoy my time off.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I learned a few years ago that my peace of mind and my family time is more important than living at work. I work hard when I'm there, but enjoy my time off.
I agree 100 %. My wife said almost the same thing. I am a firm believer in family balance time. As you, I give 100% or more when I work......once I clock out, I am done until the next morning.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM

184 posts, read 317,628 times
Do it, that commute is brutal.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 PM

5,359 posts, read 8,591,305 times
Assuming your current commute is "only" 1.5 hours each way, and you work 5 days per week, you are currently spending 60 hours per month commuting.

That works out to 720 hours per year- and probably more if your commute exceeds 1.5 hours in either direction often.

How much shorter is your commute going to be with the new job?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Assuming your current commute is "only" 1.5 hours each way, and you work 5 days per week, you are currently spending 60 hours per month commuting.

That works out to 720 hours per year- and probably more if your commute exceeds 1.5 hours in either direction often.

How much shorter is your commute going to be with the new job?
Damn.......you just made it seem worse. Lol.
Its been over 2 hours at times. If you know anything about CT, we have a huge traffic problem. Sucks the life out of you.....

If I took this job, it is "only" 30 miles each way. Half the travel....and it is not on my current traffic route......its on a different roadway that is not a traffic problem area.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM

5,359 posts, read 8,591,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Damn.......you just made it seem worse. Lol.
Its been over 2 hours at times. If you know anything about CT, we have a huge traffic problem. Sucks the life out of you.....

If I took this job, it is "only" 30 miles each way. Half the travel....and it is not on my current traffic route......its on a different roadway that is not a traffic problem area.
I think its sometimes easy to focus on the trees rather than the forest, you know? Kinda like when someone says they need their $5 Starbuck's every day, and you tell them that works out to $1200 per year...

Maybe a bit less money is worth not spending so much time on the road?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think its sometimes easy to focus on the trees rather than the forest, you know? Kinda like when someone says they need their $5 Starbuck's every day, and you tell them that works out to $1200 per year...

Maybe a bit less money is worth not spending so much time on the road?

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,457,081 times
Yup, long commutes are the soul killer.

Not only does it hurt you, but the wear and tear on your vehicle, and the gas is a factor as well. You have a 2013 car with over 62,000 miles. go into the used car pricing, and enter in 62K on the car value calculator....then od it agian at 20K. that difference? Thats how much the commute cost you. Now figure out gas for those miles. add it in.

And recognize the time involved? You're never getting that back either.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM

5,201 posts, read 4,514,632 times
Take the new job if you can swing it financially.

Your life is out of balance with that long commute. You need more time at home, and less on the road. Better life balance is always the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment