U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 PM

4,913 posts, read 2,698,799 times

Advertisements

I'll never understand this mentality. Explain why Upper Management would want a bunch of obvious, insincere butt kisser underneath them in middle management positions.

More times than not these butt kissers are not productive at all, and bring little value to the position or really solve problems. Can't Upper Management see that these are butt kissers are NOT sincere? Does upper management have such an ego or are that insecure that they need the assurance of fake insincere butt kissing below them to kiss their rears every day?

Wouldn't it make more sense just to have a professional, knowledgeable go-getter in that position (even if they don't kiss your rear) instead? Also, upper management can't be THAT clueless as to think these obvious rear end kissers are just telling them what they want to hear and not the REALITY of the situation.

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-03-2014 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: word fix
Rate this post positively

Old 08-03-2014, 08:36 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,123,717 times
It appears that you are letting your anecdotal experiences get the best of you.

Do you have empirical evidence to show that more times than not middle management is not productive at all?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 PM

6,521 posts, read 6,055,063 times
Do you own the company? If not, just do your job. Everybody thinks they can do another person's job better.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,395,426 times
Being in management myself, I'll tell you this. It's not that middle management are sucking up to upper management. We respect their position.

When I tell the workers something, I expect them to do it. If I think their work quality doesn't meet the standard, I reject it. I don't expect people to like me. But I do expect them to respect my position. Just a couple weeks ago, after my several attempts at trying to get the workers to be safe, I slapped a $2500 fine on that crew. Ever since, they've been performing their work based on what I wanted right down to the T.

So, when you see people like me (who's in middle management) "suck up" to upper management, to me it's not sucking up. We respect their positions just like the bottom feeders are expected to respect ours. And when we get up there, we expect those below to respect our positions.

That's the way it works.

And regarding your accusation that middle management people add little value, let me tell you about my position. People have accused me of adding little value to the operations. After all, whenever they see me, I'm either inspecting the quality of their work or I'm bitching about something. What they don't see is when I do all the behind stuff, like pay estimates, checking other people's calculations, etc. The workers leave at 3-3:30pm. Heck, lower level engineers leave at 3-3:30pm everyday. I usually leave at 5-8pm. But wait, don't I come in later than they do? Nope, I come in usually 30 minutes before they come in. But they never see that.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,951,057 times
Upper management wants fake butt kissers because genuine butt kissers would be a little desperate and therefore a bit of a downer.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,131,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Being in management myself, I'll tell you this. It's not that middle management are sucking up to upper management. We respect their position.

When I tell the workers something, I expect them to do it. If I think their work quality doesn't meet the standard, I reject it. I don't expect people to like me. But I do expect them to respect my position. Just a couple weeks ago, after my several attempts at trying to get the workers to be safe, I slapped a $2500 fine on that crew. Ever since, they've been performing their work based on what I wanted right down to the T.

So, when you see people like me (who's in middle management) "suck up" to upper management, to me it's not sucking up. We respect their positions just like the bottom feeders are expected to respect ours. And when we get up there, we expect those below to respect our positions.

That's the way it works.

And regarding your accusation that middle management people add little value, let me tell you about my position. People have accused me of adding little value to the operations. After all, whenever they see me, I'm either inspecting the quality of their work or I'm bitching about something. What they don't see is when I do all the behind stuff, like pay estimates, checking other people's calculations, etc. The workers leave at 3-3:30pm. Heck, lower level engineers leave at 3-3:30pm everyday. I usually leave at 5-8pm. But wait, don't I come in later than they do? Nope, I come in usually 30 minutes before they come in. But they never see that.
Bottom feeders?

Wow.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,395,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Bottom feeders?

Wow.
Ok, fine. I'll use the more politically correct term. Employees.

Has it occurred to you that I used to be a bottom feeder? It's not a derogatory term. I worked for years as a laborer. We used to refer to ourselves as bottom feeders. Don't know what the big deal with nowadays of being always afraid to offend people.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 AM

874 posts, read 1,527,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Ok, fine. I'll use the more politically correct term. Employees.

Has it occurred to you that I used to be a bottom feeder? It's not a derogatory term. I worked for years as a laborer. We used to refer to ourselves as bottom feeders. Don't know what the big deal with nowadays of being always afraid to offend people.
The question is why would you want to use such an unprofessional term to describe the people below you? To me, it shows a lack of judgment and tact.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 9,214,823 times
It's all about attitude. No one in management wants to work with someone that is negative or unwilling to take on new work in a positive role. They also want people persons, not necessarily management potential, because management can be taught and learnt. Some people fake their attitudes and general character, but some people are perfectly happy with their position, their pay and what they do for a living.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 AM

928 posts, read 938,412 times
I think senior management likes people who are agreeable and positive. They don't want their decisions questioned and second guessed and they don't like it when folks won't do what they are told by their senior managers.

Just try agreeing with everything these folks say or want from you and life will be easier. It's just a job, you re not trying to speak up against the government in 1939 Germany so don't take it that seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.