Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,015,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I've used them at Sheetz and in my opinion they are significantly superior to using a cashier in both speed and accuracy. It is definitely way better than having a cashier whose grasp of the English language is weak. From a consumer standpoint this would be an improvement. From a national employment rate standpoint - not so much.
I'd much rather deal with a computer than the hostile workers who staff fast food places around here. I walk up to the counter and they look me up and down and glare at me like I should feel guilty for patronizing a place they don't like working in, and then roll their eyes and sigh as I place my order. If they have a question they mumble it and then get irritated if I ask them to repeat it, talking to me like I'm really stupid or annoying. I don't eat fast food myself, but I take my kid for a happy meal every once in a while, and really can't stand this level of "customer service," which basically just leaves me feeling bad that I ever walked into the place. So please, bring on the automation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM

12,115 posts, read 23,385,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Was it Sheetz? They use those.
Don't recall; they are not around where I live. Maybe? Not to far from the West Virginia/Ohio border in Eastern Ohio, if that is their area of operation.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:24 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,372,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Automation was gonna happen regardless.
Automation only happens when the cost per worker exceeds the cost per computer. If pay is $15 an hour, it will happen about 7 years faster.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,680,628 times
Nobody should be surprised.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,773,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Argh. You're probably right, but I can't afford to pay for anymore stuff for them.
Given how bleak our future is looking, and given how short people's lives are, folks are generally taking a "let the chips fall where they may" approach.

The ones who think millions of jobs will automatically be created to absorb these folks losing their jobs to automation are, at best, naive.

Also, the ones who think we can cut taxpayer assistance to these impacted folks without any negative feedback (such as increased crime) are also, at best, naive.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 AM

820 posts, read 1,211,947 times
I do not see where this $15/hr figure is stemming from. To make that where I live you need a concentrated associates degree at the very least. I invested my time, and money, studying and working at the same time. Why should another person who makes bad decisions to have kids without an education, or money get the same pay? I never understood why everyone expects to have the same standard of living, regardless of what you choose to accomplish.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,945,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Mickey D's lost their mojo years ago and they had better do something to get the customers back. The new places look terrible and the food tastes bad. I can't understand why they are killing off such a great brand.

I agree, I miss the older style McDonalds. The food looks like it's been downsized a lot as well. These days if I want my artery clogging triple tacker burger I go to a local owned place.

As for $15 an hour if minimum wage kept up with inflation properly it would be around that rate. That's the main problem, not that the franchise owner won't pay a higher wage.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,240,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Don't recall; they are not around where I live. Maybe? Not to far from the West Virginia/Ohio border in Eastern Ohio, if that is their area of operation.
Probably was was Sheetz then. They are all over WV.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,945,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Given how bleak our future is looking, and given how short people's lives are, folks are generally taking a "let the chips fall where they may" approach.

The ones who think millions of jobs will automatically be created to absorb these folks losing their jobs to automation are, at best, naive.

Also, the ones who think we can cut taxpayer assistance to these impacted folks without any negative feedback (such as increased crime) are also, at best, naive.

It's like people here think all those millions of redundant service jobs will suddenly be replaced by millions of programming and engineering jobs at Google. High end jobs are already extremely competitive and chances are they will bring in someone from abroad so they can pay a lower rate.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Millions of lower tier workers are going to end up on the welfare rolls. You really think they're all going to suddenly become Google engineers and programmers? Especially when you already have millions competing for those jobs which generally go to someone overseas anyway.

I've got news for you, many are already on the welfare rolls and receive food stamps.

There is a thread on here with an article attached about a 27 yr old woman who has worked at McDonalds for 10 yrs, she is one of those who thinks she should be making $20 an hour to work fast food.

Per the article she has 4 kids(not married of course). Do you think she is supporting them on her McDonalds paycheck? The taxpayer is supporting them.

She's angry because she should be paid more. I mean it's not like she could have made better choices and not had 4 kids, and gone to college even part time. Better to pay her $20 an hour to say "do you want fries with that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment