U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,355,697 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in becoming a market research analyst, but my background isn't in business. I do think I have a knack for, you know, the whole measuring and predicting consumer demand, and I have a pretty keen grasp on the markets in several industries, but my college degrees are in the humanities.

How do I go about becoming one since I already have two degrees? I see University of Georgia offers an online certificate course that (they say) is highly regarded in official circles, but would it be enough to get me an entry level job? Is anyone familiar with it? I don't have a background in statistics (aside from an empirical research class I took 8 years ago) so I'd prefer if a certificate program included some of the "how to do relevant statistics" part.

Or is it totally unnecessary to get a certificate? Is this something I could land an internship at and learn the ropes as I go? If I had a choice, I'd love to do research for the publishing industry, but also have interests in consumer tech gadgets and mass media (maybe mobile market research?).

Anyone have any insight into what is necessary to be trained before applying for jobs? I applied once to a company and generated initial interest but like a fool passed it up for something else that didn't pan out.

EDIT: I apparently can't change the title once I posted, but if a mod could clarify it if necessary, I realize it makes me sound like I'm already a market research analyst.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment