Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:12 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Easy, stop buying their goods and services.
If that's all it takes to solve the problem, why not go ahead with that plan? Stop using cell phones, for example. Or are you waiting till everyone else gets on board with your plan, before you start leading the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
Quote:
Exactly, but that is why Americans are in so much debt today. Back in the 1950s, you paid cash for almost everything. If you didn't have the cash, you learned to live with out it. People really think they're saving money by shopping cheaper, but most of them are paying finance charges on credit cards.

Until Americans stop consuming and learn to live with less, the snowball will continue to get bigger as it rolls down the hill and more American jobs will be shipped overseas. We should be hammering these companies where it hurts most by not buying the latest versions of everything and basing our happiness on material things. No sales equals no revenue. No revenue means overseas jobs will be eliminated and goods will cost more. So what ? Let other countries figure out how to support their own; we are not the world's benefactor.
I have the perfect solution to that snowball problem. Why not simply sit back, relax, and let global warming melt the snowball?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If that's all it takes to solve the problem, why not go ahead with that plan? Stop using cell phones, for example. Or are you waiting till everyone else gets on board with your plan, before you start leading the way?
Because the rest of you are too entitled to stop buying or using anything ... you'd rather be in debt and have a new pair of jeans rather than wear the same pair for a few years.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I have the perfect solution to that snowball problem. Why not simply sit back, relax, and let global warming melt the snowball?
Another poster with a wealth of solutions to today's problems ... the society of entitlement.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If this is true, expect government around the world to take steps to keep jobs in their countries, and to preserve existing jobs. Except in the US, where politicians encourage the exporting of jobs. Will nations grateful for sending our jobs to them help bail us out? Not likely.
Seems here in the USA its politically incorrect to hire US citizens We want a "diversified" workforce, see all the foreigners working here, those who can't speak English worth a fig working at call centers, working the window at drive through fast food, while they stick the white guy back in the kitchen cleaning up toilets? That's my DS, all he gets is the dirty jobs, while the gal at the window doesn't have a clue WTH I'm talking about, except #4, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger.......

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,076 times
That's IF they give the white a job even. I know in Massachusetts it's very common to see the entire staff of a mcdonald's is foreigners and can't speak english and messes up every order and takes an hour to make a coffee. I think they hire them for the tax breaks, TBH. I mean, if the town has a 90% white population there's no way they could only find foreigners to work there. Another thing is, you know that picture everybody uses of the tatted up guy when they talk about unemployables? I saw someone like that working somewhere recently and it disgusted me that someone like that could get a job and not me. Instead of ringing up items they sat there chatting with other workers just like them. Looked like they were on something too.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The President has nothing to do with a world job crisis.
If you would comprehend my post correctly, I was answering a person who was suggesting America have a public works program to improve infrastructure and create jobs. Hence, the FDR comment.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A generation of spoiled children is throwing a tantrum because a world which hasn't seen massed, industrialized warfare for seventy years no longer depends upon American technology to rebuild anything. That means that a lot of people who expected to start in a "soft" management job at $80K will have to work their way up like everybody else; and that the party isn't "closed" to a lot of people due to sex, race, and a lot of other factors as was once the case. We asked for the level playing field via the democratic process, and now we all have to live with the downside.

If the point-and-grunt element wants to believe that somebody "stole" all the wealth and is hiding a way with it somewhere, it's your privelege. But some of us have learned enough to recognize that much of that wealth exists only on paper, and the rest is in the hands of institutions -- who can use some help, but again, not in the capacity to which the kiddies unrealistic expectations have conditioned them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you actually out there in this workforce climate in America or are you one of those older Baby Boomers having a cushy retirement on the backs of the tax money of the younger generations? If the latter, just a thought, perhaps during these times in America, your cushy retirement on the current taxpayers is an unrealistic expectation too. (Now cue all the Baby Boomer "tantrums and crying" like, "Don't dare put your hands on MY Medicare!," etc., ad nauseum.)
For the record, I turn 65 later this month, but still work full-time (at a physical job, in a warehouse). I plan to go to part-time sometime after the Holidays, also have a sideline income tax business (Know your enemy!). which I've run (with a partner) since 1980.

Looks like most of the juveniles here don't have a clue, and they're just running scared.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
We do create jobs in the states there are plenty of government jobs around but the vast majority of people on this board tend not to look at government (unless it is the feds). Retirements are happening and it is trickling down. Since they cut so much post 2008 they forget that people eventually do retire.
We're not talking about existing government jobs, but new jobs. Jobs at the city, county, state and federal level are needed to repair outdated infrastructure.

Quote:
Slavery was not really abolished in 1865. The 13th amendment states "...unless duly convicted of a crime" criminals have been used in chain gangs for quite some time. Prison labor is a large business and is often lower then minimum wage. The government nationalized slave labor is not a private function.

http://masscor.us/Catalogs/Product_Catalog2.pdf

Foreign workers at slave labor prices? The median wage of a factory worker in China in 2000 was 50 cents an hour. Now it's nearly $4.50. Keep in mind that it is OUR prices that went up because we artificially inflated our wages and created inflation as a means of government spending (keynesian which does not work). It is hard to say that our prices are right when we export inflation on the planet.
Never considered prisoners as slaves ... but given the volume of prisoners today, reopen some of the obsolete manufacturing facilities, bring the work home, and let the prisoners build the trinkets. Why pay overseas transportation costs when the "slave" labor could be done by prisoners at home ?

Quote:
Oil is priced in dollars so if a currency goes down against the dollar it means their oil price goes UP (assuming Nymex). Sure you can claim it is not the US responsibility to clothe or feed the world but the actions can contribute to starvation and riots.
How much are the Europeans paying for a gallon of gas ? Are they rioting every time the price goes up a few cents ?

Quote:
Hugh import fees would not help as frankly we tried that before and caused ww 2. Countries wanted to protect and they created more tariffs which led to a breakdown in trade, lack of communication and ultimately alienation. We need to face the facts that everything is made cheaper, smaller and faster. Slapping taxes on anything is not going to change that.
Please educate yourself as to the true causes of WWII as you keep consuming and keep a full plate of rice on Chinese tables.

World War Two - Causes | HistoryOnTheNet

Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Quote:
Huh ? Excess capacity for what ? I'm talking about bridges, roads, communication systems, electrical, public transportation, schools, etc. Costs money to make repairs and we're too busy sending money overseas to support our political ambitions.
Excess capacity to build bridges, roads, etc. Don't get hung up on money, that's a red herring. Money is just a counting mechanism administered by the government to match up consumption and production. If we have unemployed construction workers to do the work, the government can create money more-or-less out of thin air to "afford" the work.

It's really very simple. We have work to be done. We have the resources and people literally just laying around. Have people get resources to do work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment