Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

More employers, and many of their English-speaking workers, are showing an interest in learning Spanish customized to specific jobs, to help them communicate with Hispanic customers, suppliers or assistants.

The trend isn't without controversy, as English-only proponents say it slows the assimilation of immigrants from Mexico and elsewhere. But others say teaching at least rudimentary workplace-Spanish skills is a necessity in some industries and reflects the reality that many immigrants, including some of those here legally, don't have a good grasp of English.

Businesses encourage employees to learn Spanish - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
If you are over 35, you can probably get by without it. If you are under 35 you will have to learn it to get or keep a job in the future.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Many jobs anymore (especially clerical/customer service) either require or highly desire their employees to be bilingual. And those who are, will get a higher rate of pay.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:20 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,794 times
You think if I went to mexico I would be expected to learn English? I think not. American employers get with it or get the F out.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
You think if I went to mexico I would be expected to learn English? I think not. American employers get with it or get the F out.
I agree! Their excuse is that they need to cater to the non-english speaking customers....BS! Learn English if you want to live here!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree! Their excuse is that they need to cater to the non-english speaking customers....BS! Learn English if you want to live here!!!
Bilingual people are better at problem solving because they engage more of their brain from an early age. There was a Dartmouth study about this: Vox of Dartmouth - El Cerebro Bilingue/The Bilingual Brain - 10/23/06. If you are bilingual or a polyglot, you have a much higher earning potential than a person who only speaks one language regardless of your field. Even if a company has no need for you to actually speak another language, speaking multiple languages makes you a more likely hire than a similarly qualified person. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't take advantage of high school and college language courses to not speak at least one extra language and it's easy enough to pick up a 3rd or 4th.

People are doing themselves and their children a disservice by refusing to learn Spanish on principle. Children of immigrants are going to run monolingual children over as most of the so called "anchor babies" from Mexico at my high school and other high school students I have worked with since have graduated speaking at least 3 languages fluently (English, Spanish, and French or occasionally German).

Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Bilingual Spanish or Chinese is going to be a major asset in the mid-21st century workforce.

We plan to send our child to a spanish-language immersion school which typically produces fluidly-bilingual kids by about the 4th grade. My ten-year old niece who has taken the program is already completely conversational in Spanish.

I am at least 3rd and my wife is 2nd generation American. We accept that the world changes, and the workplace changes, and do what we can to capitalize on that. Telling people to "learn English or go home" is the sign of a person who cannot adapt with the changing world around them. Some people will never accept the opportunities to succeed, they will use them as an excuse for failure.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
All Americans should be fluent in at least 2 languages. I am not but I am old. My kids are. 3 of them had Espanol and my little girl is in her 4th year of French. Americans need to quit being lazy and demand that the world learn English.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,403,757 times
It always amazes me how Americans expect everyone else to speak their language and understand their culture. It's a shame more people don't travel more and get a better understanding of the world. Some of the comments on this thread are shocking.

Yes, people, we live in a multi-cultural world. Speaking another language is important. It is not only important on the job, but it helps to open your minds a little bit too.

I live in Southern California, and it's very helpful to know some Spanish here. I'm in contact with Hispanic people every day. I love the culture, love the people, and I think it's one of the things I'm really going to miss when I leave. Most people in Los Angeles can speak and understand some Spanish.

Greenie

Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 89,747 times
See a lot of Americans will have the thing like "Why should we have to learn THEIR language", but think again America is home of the immigrants and we DID STEAL THIS AND PROCLAIM land that is really not ours. My thing is hell, just learn the Spanish and move on that way you don't think when somebody speaks spanish they are talking about you, because I am not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment