U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 11,254 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I am currently a systems analyst in a healthcare firm and have 3 career options. What I do will be very similar but the title will be different. I will support solution team for clinical IT implementations.

Option 1 is to be a Project Manager.

Option 2 is to be a Technical Project Manager.

Option 3 is to be a Management Consultant.

I will accept one of these roles and work for 3 more years. After the third year, I plan to move a smaller company for a director or associate director position. My question is that which title can be the best pick for my future career and can lead me a management position. Although the job descriptions will be almost identical, I believe that title plays an important role for future position. It makes my application more visible. Can you please share your industry experience.

Note: I am have an engineering undergrad degree and work in healthcare IT
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 PM

49,990 posts, read 49,455,451 times
Option 1

Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM

9,023 posts, read 12,206,482 times

Consultant is what unemployed and short term contract people call themselves. 1 and 2 are virtually identical, but you're casting a wider net by not limiting your "project management" solely to technical items.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,561,024 times
hahaha... consultant... reminds my of "The Bobs" from the movie Office Space

They're hired by the company to come in and review what the employees do day-to-day and make suggestions on who they can afford to lay off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment