U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 AM

29,174 posts, read 51,433,007 times

Advertisements

If you’re in the American middle class—or what’s left of it—here’s how you probably feel. You feel like you’re struggling harder than your parents did, working longer hours than ever before, and yet falling further and further behind.

The reason you feel this way is because most of you are—falling further behind, that is. Adjusted for inflation, average salaries have actually dropped since the early 1970s, while hours for full-time workers have steadily climbed.

Read more: Whatever Happened to Overtime? - Nick Hanauer - POLITICO Magazine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,692,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you’re in the American middle class—or what’s left of it—here’s how you probably feel. You feel like you’re struggling harder than your parents did, working longer hours than ever before, and yet falling further and further behind.

The reason you feel this way is because most of you are—falling further behind, that is. Adjusted for inflation, average salaries have actually dropped since the early 1970s, while hours for full-time workers have steadily climbed.

Read more: Whatever Happened to Overtime? - Nick Hanauer - POLITICO Magazine
You know, I hear people complain about this and write articles, but I don't see any actual facts. Put your salary in the Consumer Price Index for any given year and see how it compares to 2014. Are you keeping up with inflation, ahead of it or behind it?

CPI Inflation Calculator

I just put in a federal government GS salary from many years ago, and checked the table and they are paying ahead of inflation in 2014.

As for overtime. If I didn't get paid for overtime I didn't work it. Overtime is time and a half.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:13 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,543,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You know, I hear people complain about this and write articles, but I don't see any actual facts. Put your salary in the Consumer Price Index for any given year and see how it compares to 2014. Are you keeping up with inflation, ahead of it or behind it?

CPI Inflation Calculator

I just put in a federal government GS salary from many years ago, and checked the table and they are paying ahead of inflation in 2014.

As for overtime. If I didn't get paid for overtime I didn't work it. Overtime is time and a half.
Mod cut. Most people working more than minimum wage are exempt. Overtime is NOT time and a half for the majority of people.

Quote:
Exempt. Exempt employees are those who are not subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Examples include executive, administrative, outside sales, and professional employees; and employees of federal, state, and local governments. Exempt employees are almost always salaried (except various computer professionals).
Just because something doesn't apply to you, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to most people. I haven't gotten "time and a half" since I was 17. I suspect a lot of people are in that position unless they're working in low skill jobs.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-21-2014 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Personal barb.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:01 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,692,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
[Snip.] Most people working more than minimum wage are exempt. Overtime is NOT time and a half for the majority of people.

Just because something doesn't apply to you, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to most people. I haven't gotten "time and a half" since I was 17. I suspect a lot of people are in that position unless they're working in low skill jobs.
The OP is asking what happened to overtime. Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to a deleted comment). I get time and a half for over time, always have, and so do a lot of people working now in lower wage jobs. I have often asked people who work in New Jersey area when doing something for me, if it's running late, if they will get over time and they say "Yes" with a smile on their face. Many will volunteer to tell me they get time and a half, and double-time if it's the weekend. I ask because if I'm keeping them late, I would prefer to pick this up the next day because I don't want to inconvenience them. They tell me they don't mind, because they get paid more.

"...for 40 hours of working time in any week and 11/2 times such employee's regular hourly wage for each hour of working time in excess of 40 hours in any week, except this overtime rate shall not include any individual employed in a bona fide executive, administrative, or professional capacity...".

So low wage workers, in NJ are not executives, administrators, or in a professional capacity. Doing minimum wage work is NOT exempt from the time and a half for overtime benefit. Most people I know who are above that wage level tell me they are getting over time pay. If they are not, don't work it. There are other employers that do if that's important to you. But if someone is working 60 hours a week each week and is only getting paid for 40 regardless of the level of the job, they need to find another job unless it's something like a commission job.

I just put in a federal government GS salary from many years ago, and checked the table and they are paying ahead of inflation in 2014.:
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-21-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 AM

9,304 posts, read 5,320,737 times
What happened is that the percentage of salaried employees verses hourly employees who get overtime has changed. And many more hourly employees are limited to under 40 hours so that protections and benefits due to 'full time" employees don't kick in.

In many places with union protection from part time workers the overtime of full time hourly employees is going through the roof as it is cheaper to pay many people overtime payments then to add the benefit package of additional workers

Old 11-21-2014, 07:28 AM

5,866 posts, read 8,136,666 times
I am salary, exempt, and I get overtime pay. Its not 1.5x its just regular straight pay but it is still paid for any hours over 40 I work.

If you arent happy with your pay then find a better job.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:38 AM

6,739 posts, read 5,869,744 times
Overtime depends on status. As for time and a half there can be a difference.

I worked for for a retailer that said no overtime but due to state laws any work by hour non exempt employees is time and a half on sundays and holidays. That adds up significantly to nearly two months of time in a given year.

Going to salary meant that there would be less of overtime but if you worked a holiday you get a comp day. I do know of people that denied salary promotions due to this setup. Having said this though most employees would have no issue with overtime so basically the policy forces more work to be performed by those that are salary which deters people from moving up.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM

30,569 posts, read 23,969,550 times
My parents were blue and pink collar workers who have always been paid hourly. Dad used to work in manufacturing, where he'd often get overtime, but the factory closed and now works in a call center, hourly. Mother works hourly at a bank. Both are paid around $15/hr.

I am salaried and earn about 50% more than they do, and I only make $50k. I am also under a lot less stress than my dad is, have better benefits than both of them, and have upward mobility, which neither of their positions have.

Being salaried has been good to me.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 AM

42,463 posts, read 17,337,751 times
I worked as a salaried, exempt employee for over two decades and now work at a job where I am paid hourly. My income is approximately the same. My current employer pays OT at time and a half; double time for holidays and Sundays. In my current position, however, I am rarely asked to work OT.

When I was exempt, I worked about 50 hours a week and would often go into the office on a quiet Sunday afternoon or evening in order to catch up on things without having to hear the phone ringing, people being paged on the intercom, and other distractions. There were usually a few other salaried people working at the same time. I happily worked overtime without extra compensation, and I miss being salaried with a flexible schedule. Now I normally work 40 hours per week and get paid at time and a half if the boss asks me to stay late in the evening or to come in on a Saturday.

Several of my co-workers frequently work at least half a day on Saturdays, and they make a killing in OT pay.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:10 AM

4,093 posts, read 5,458,839 times
I am paid hourly and get 1 1/2 when I work over 40 hours. My boss lets me pick whether I want to flex or get paid the OT. 9 times out of 10 I pick the flex. I'd rather get home 3 hours early on a Friday afternoon than get paid for an extra 4.5 hours of work.

The only time I choose to go with the OT pay is during the holidays. In fact, this week I have 3 hours of OT and plan on getting it paid out rather than flex today and go home early. I'll use that $$ towards my Christmas shopping budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment