Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM

123 posts, read 520,685 times

Advertisements

If you had a supervisor make a snide comment to you and someone told you about another possible snide remark they said about you, would you somehow bring it up to them? The person is generally nice and friendly, but because of the comments, it now seems fake. Would you say something? How would you even do so?

(For the record, I am very nice and friendly to all there too. And if it makes any difference, we are opposite genders.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Not about hearsay, I would not.

If someone made a snide comment to me, I would call them on it right then and there. You don't have to be snide back to them, but you certainly can say, "What do you mean by that?" and just wait for their reply.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not about hearsay, I would not.

If someone made a snide comment to me, I would call them on it right then and there. You don't have to be snide back to them, but you certainly can say, "What do you mean by that?" and just wait for their reply.
One of the comments could, I guess, be considered hearsay but because it was with a directive of what I was supposed to do, it seemed legit. The other was directly to me. Then they had to immediately talk to a client/customer and I was getting off work.
Should you really say that to a supervisor? A co-worker I could see, but a supervisor? I know it's unprofessional of them, but I don't feel comfortable being unprofessional back. Especially because I've only been with the company for about 6 months so far

Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
If you had a supervisor make a snide comment to you and someone told you about another possible snide remark they said about you, would you somehow bring it up to them? The person is generally nice and friendly, but because of the comments, it now seems fake. Would you say something? How would you even do so?

(For the record, I am very nice and friendly to all there too. And if it makes any difference, we are opposite genders.)
What was the comment and under what circumstances? Context and content are important. With that said, if it affects your job performance or is harrassment or similar in magnitude, then I'd say something.

Otherwise, I'd blow it off.

[don't duck for just anything thrown at you - especially if it is a pebble]

Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
What I've done in the past is to say something to the effect of, "Have I done something to offend (or upset) you?" immediately after their comment is said. The person always say, "No, why?" Then I will discuss the observable behavior. Like, "I interpreted the tone cadence in your previous comment as anger. Was I wrong?" They always say "no". And I respond with, "Oh, my mistake. Sorry." And they never do it again.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Should you really say that to a supervisor? A co-worker I could see, but a supervisor? I know it's unprofessional of them, but I don't feel comfortable being unprofessional back. Especially because I've only been with the company for about 6 months so far
You're all still human.

I need to know what was said in order to give you helpful advice, but there is nothing wrong with asking a supervisor what they meant.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
You could just say, 'Hey, if I'm not doing something right, just lemme know, I like this place.'
It's really simple dealing with passive aggressive people...be nice, simple and like a sibling/friend.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You could just say, 'Hey, if I'm not doing something right, just lemme know, I like this place.'
It's really simple dealing with passive aggressive people...be nice, simple and like a sibling/friend.

OP, do not try to be like a sibling or friend with your supervisor, but I agree that the question as posed by Miss Hepburn is okay.

Wmsn4Life has also given you great advice. Ask, "What do you mean?" if you're getting a snide comment.

But, I also agree that it would be helpful to know for ourselves whether or not the comment falls under the snide category. Are you able to share what was said?

Old 12-07-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I would share what was said but I'm the type who is paranoid that the person would see it if they happened to be on here as well. I know the chances are slim but there is still a chance.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
OP, do not try to be like a sibling or friend with your supervisor, but I agree that the question as posed by Miss Hepburn is okay.

Wmsn4Life has also given you great advice. Ask, "What do you mean?" if you're getting a snide comment.

But, I also agree that it would be helpful to know for ourselves whether or not the comment falls under the snide category. Are you able to share what was said?
I think part of the problem may be that this particular supervisor does act like a sibling or friend to many of the employees, which I think is unprofessional. Many of them act like that there. I don't act like that. I am nice and friendly and talk with them about relatable things but I don't talk in a teasing manner or sarcastic manner or that I've known them my whole life, because I haven't and I'm professional. I know some snide comments are done in joking ways, I do that myself with people I know well, but when it comes from a supervisor who doesn't do that with you and it is obviously not done in a joking way, it is worse. And like I said, this person has always presented themselves in a nice, friendly way, but not like a friend/sibling thing like with many of the others. So I'm not sure why they had to add the snide remark. And it wasn't like they were trying to be joking snide. I definitely know the difference. We don't have that kind of relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment