Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:32 AM

66 posts, read 95,244 times

Advertisements

I no longer work in retail but when I did, the customers were a nightmare. Not all, but many customers believe they are entitled to special discounts and treatment, if they don't get their way, they get real More often than not, I would have to get a manager's permission to give them the discounts. You wouldn't believe how many mangers were okay with giving random discounts to people who asked!

Last year I briefly worked as a customer service rep for an online retail store but it was just as stressful. The customers would get mad understandably when their orders didn't arrive on time but there was little I could do when the packages were in transit. They seem to think I can make those packages appear on their doorstep

Obviously, some people are gifted in the people-pleasing customer service department, and I'm not. But I want to know why many people think being a customer means you can bully your way to freebies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
I take it you aren't in management.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I take it you aren't in management.
I don't think many retailers hire managment from within anymore. They always hired fresh-out-of-college kids instead. People with just high-school degrees cannot command a salaried job.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't think many retailers hire managment from within anymore. They always hired fresh-out-of-college kids instead. People with just high-school degrees cannot command a salaried job.
At the retail company I worked for, they never promoted from within. It was always bringing on board other assist. managers from various retail chains.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:21 PM

210 posts, read 319,310 times
"But I want to know why many people think being a customer means you can bully your way to freebies."

Because people complain at the store level, and if they aren't satisfied there, they go all the way up to the corporate\call center level, and are rewarded. And then the store receives feedback from upper-level management about a dissatisfied customer and may be scolded for not providing a positive customer service experience. Pretty sound circle of events.

Part of it has to do with the store's policies. If they are strict and train staff to adhere to policies consistently, then it's easier to say no and mean it. The retailer I worked for (and managed) was very lenient about discounts, coupons, free shipping, etc. We were taught to be a "yes" store. To please our customers. And so we did, and it was very random. Really, it depends on how competitive the business is; some retailers cannot afford to say no and end up angry customers.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelklos View Post
"But I want to know why many people think being a customer means you can bully your way to freebies."

Because people complain at the store level, and if they aren't satisfied there, they go all the way up to the corporate\call center level, and are rewarded. And then the store receives feedback from upper-level management about a dissatisfied customer and may be scolded for not providing a positive customer service experience. Pretty sound circle of events.

Part of it has to do with the store's policies. If they are strict and train staff to adhere to policies consistently, then it's easier to say no and mean it. The retailer I worked for (and managed) was very lenient about discounts, coupons, free shipping, etc. We were taught to be a "yes" store. To please our customers. And so we did, and it was very random. Really, it depends on how competitive the business is; some retailers cannot afford to say no and end up angry customers.

I think more often than not customers sometimes exaggerate or downright lie to get said/deal or freebie. I wonder if it's this bad in Europe?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I no longer work in retail but when I did, the customers were a nightmare. Not all, but many customers believe they are entitled to special discounts and treatment, if they don't get their way, they get real More often than not, I would have to get a manager's permission to give them the discounts. You wouldn't believe how many mangers were okay with giving random discounts to people who asked!

Last year I briefly worked as a customer service rep for an online retail store but it was just as stressful. The customers would get mad understandably when their orders didn't arrive on time but there was little I could do when the packages were in transit. They seem to think I can make those packages appear on their doorstep

Obviously, some people are gifted in the people-pleasing customer service department, and I'm not. But I want to know why many people think being a customer means you can bully your way to freebies.
I don't think I'm entitled to a discount or special treatment.

However, I frequently ask for discounts. More often than not, I get them. I don't pitch a fit, get rude, or pout if someone says no. I also am never rude to a cashier.

For example, if I'm at the supermarket and want fresh-cut flowers but all the flowers they have are all open and look like they'll wilt quickly, I ask for a deep discount. As in 75% off. If I don't get it, no problem. I don't take it personally. But I think a lot of stores would rather sell them to me at 75% off than throw them away. Same with produce that's nearing the end of its shelf life. I ask for discounts and almost always get them. But that's only if I've already cruised the clearance section and haven't found anything I like.

When I'm shopping for a piece of furniture or home decor, I'll look for a flaw and use that to negotiate a discount. If I'm shopping for nice furniture in a nice store, I'll start off asking for a big discount. At a store like Target, I'll ask for 15% off because their margins are much tighter. I never ask at Ikea unless it's a clearance item or floor model that they're trying to offload in their clearance section. They're more flexible on those. At my local Ikea, they are NOT flexible on delivery because it's outsourced. Other furniture companies also usually outsource delivery but they'll usually give me free delivery AND a discount. Markup on furniture in nice shops is so high anyway that they're still making a profit.

With clothing I'll look for a loose thread, loose button, or any other flaw to get a discount. Clothing is harder, to be honest. That's an area where I hear no more often than not.

Stuff like DVDs, books, pet care items, pantry items, cleaning supplies, etc. usually aren't open to negotiation so I don't ask. I just use coupons.

I'm always NICE about it though. I never bully. I don't even bully car salespeople. I'm nice to them too. I even smile as I turn the screws.

I'm the person you want with you when you're buying a new car. Would you walk into a dealership, whip out your checkbook, and pay sticker price? Of course not. Why do you think other retail should be any different?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:54 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times
Quote:
I want to know why many people think being a customer means you can bully your way to freebies.
I want to know why so many customers of yours have to request to see the manager.

I want to know why you have a problem with telling people that you don't have the authority to do what they're requesting but they can have a seat and wait for a manager if they want.

I want to know what your logic is for calling customers bullies.

I want to know why you're angry that your superior is doing their job and making the final decision on an issue for which you have no business making.

What I see in your post is an employee who wants to be a manager but lacks the maturity to do it. What I see in your post is an employee who is enjoying fighting with customers. What I see is an employee who wants to be a manager because they want the authority to say "no". What I see is an employee who lacks understanding of how long term customer service oriented businesses stay around for so many years. What I see is a "tattletale" employee who can't understand why her boss is sick of dealing with her argumentative and snide attitude being reported by customers. What I see is an employee who gets angry when someone questions her non-authority. What I see is an employee who is (petulantly) angry that her boss isn't choosing her side over the customers, and by proxy refusing to choose her "no" over the company interests. What I see is an employee who can't understand that if she ever were a manager, all her "no"ing would result in many more complaints to HQ.

And OP?

HQ doesn't care about your latest argument with a customer over a coupon and free gift.

They just... don't.

Dear OP:

We appreciate your enthusiasm for reducing waste and increasing profit. However, we feel that our company image is being unnecessarily tarnished by your combative nature. As a result, your services are no longer required. Please accept our best wishes for your career endeavors

Sincerely,

~ Corporate people with multiple degrees and years of experience in this industry.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
I want to know why so many customers of yours have to request to see the manager.

I want to know why you have a problem with telling people that you don't have the authority to do what they're requesting but they can have a seat and wait for a manager if they want.

I want to know what your logic is for calling customers bullies.

I want to know why you're angry that your superior is doing their job and making the final decision on an issue for which you have no business making.

What I see in your post is an employee who wants to be a manager but lacks the maturity to do it. What I see in your post is an employee who is enjoying fighting with customers. What I see is an employee who wants to be a manager because they want the authority to say "no". What I see is an employee who lacks understanding of how long term customer service oriented businesses stay around for so many years. What I see is a "tattletale" employee who can't understand why her boss is sick of dealing with her argumentative and snide attitude being reported by customers. What I see is an employee who gets angry when someone questions her non-authority. What I see is an employee who is (petulantly) angry that her boss isn't choosing her side over the customers, and by proxy refusing to choose her "no" over the company interests. What I see is an employee who can't understand that if she ever were a manager, all her "no"ing would result in many more complaints to HQ.

And OP?

HQ doesn't care about your latest argument with a customer over a coupon and free gift.

They just... don't.

Dear OP:

We appreciate your enthusiasm for reducing waste and increasing profit. However, we feel that our company image is being unnecessarily tarnished by your combative nature. As a result, your services are no longer required. Please accept our best wishes for your career endeavors

Sincerely,

~ Corporate people with multiple degrees and years of experience in this industry.

First things first,cashiers don't have the authority to change the price, they need a manager's permission to do so. That's the way my retail experience worked. It's a little different when you're working retail call center as you do have unlimited funds to work with BUT there were times the customer had a bigger problem and you needed a manager involved just so you could complete their request.

Yes, sometimes a customer can be a bully (shocker, I know right? ) Not all of them are angels. I was NEVER rude to anyone, but I didnt appreciate them holding up the line just so they can get a minor discount on ONE SINGLE item they really don't need. I never showed my impatience or a bad attitude. I just came here to talk about my experience.

Also, I know longer work in retail, have no desire to work in retail, and don't really care to work in retail management anyway. Most people in retail, managers included, change jobs every three to six months because of hard work, no appreciation, and low pay.

I really don't appreciate your venomous attitude and the fact you have to rub it in you have corporate degrees and years of experience in the industry. I doubt you ever had to pay your dues and work up the industry to get where you are today. You probably got a cushy job straight out of college with a nice corner office because of Daddy's connections. You clearly have no idea what it's like to work as a low pay minion so I don't think you have a right to be so judgemental.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 AM

285 posts, read 534,429 times
It's funny because I loved working in retail, I was a teen and one of my first jobs was at the mall. Maybe it was because it was an upscale mall (or just sheer luck), but I honestly never experienced any of the nightmare customers I hear people tell stories about. Maybe two or three people total over the course of a few years, but usually it just resulted in a funny story to share with friends. I actually had someone return an item (clothing related) with a car tire tread mark on it (literally, it had been run over? LOL) and my manager had actually processed the return for them! It was insane, but we all laughed about it after the person left and I remember it fondly (ha). What I really hated though was customer service over the phone; I had a brief stint also during high school working the phones for this random company and it was beyond hell. People who called were psycho and so rude, I guess they feel like because you're not face to face, they can treat you however they want. I was so friendly and helpful to everyone too. I wouldn't work that job again for millions! There's just a select type of personality type out there and those people are out for what they can get, usually in the form of discounts and special treatment. Don't let it get to you. Most of the policies that allow that sort of thing to happen come from corporate. Whenever I shop or call a customer service line now, I always make a point to be kind and courteous to the people working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment