U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,275,955 times

Advertisements

I'm 50, retired military, and working for someone else. I have a business plan which will realize $25K to $50K annually. However, the retail product will cost each customer about $500 - $750. Should I accept credit cards (a rarety in this area). I think it is low risk and good for business, but don't know if the extra expense on my part would be worth it. Small businesses generally don't accept credit cards. Why not?

Last edited by ESFP; 01-08-2008 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Should this be under the "business" thread. If so, can you transfer it for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,952,329 times
Is this a product that you will market & sell on the internet? If so, you may want to consider accepting credit cards. Marketing and selling on the internet may turn you from a small business, into a big business, and every company I ever bought from on the internet got my sale with a debit card (I don't use credit cards).

Is the product something that other companies that are already established might be interested in manufacturing and selling for you? Many people get rich by just selling their ideas to companies that are already a household name.

Thanks for your service, good luck with your product!
Have you done trademark and patent research? Sell your idea to no one until you do.

Last edited by Yac; 01-22-2008 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: signature removed

Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 AM

24,841 posts, read 36,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I'm 50, retired military, and working for someone else. I have a business plan which will realize $25K to $50K annually. However, the retail product will cost each customer about $500 - $750. Should I accept credit cards (a rarety in this area). I think it is low risk and good for business, but don't know if the extra expense on my part would be worth it. Small businesses generally don't accept credit cards. Why not?
We do not, it is expensive. I just had a call this summer. The man wanted the bottom price on a well. Then ask if I took credit cards, I explained it was too expensive.
He said "just charged more", then got mad at me when I told him, "why, so you can go someplace else because they are cheaper"?

We have taken the credit card checks, that worked well.

For the amount of money you are talking, they can get you cash from their card.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,326,152 times
ESFP... I took credit cards for years...the price and discount rate were not that bad...plus, I could sell to customers that I would have never given credit to .. however, this past year they raised my charges so high, that I cancelled it...and that was not easy to do...If you are not doing a high volume, it is not worth the expense IMO

Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 AM

250 posts, read 927,239 times
Since when do small businesses not accept credit cards? If the product you're selling goes for $500 to $750 a pop, you'd better take credit, or you won't be moving much merchandise! You may get quite a few bad checks, though.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post
Since when do small businesses not accept credit cards? If the product you're selling goes for $500 to $750 a pop, you'd better take credit, or you won't be moving much merchandise! You may get quite a few bad checks, though.
You likely will be seeing this more and more. Business are cutting back.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,376,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I would accept credit cards, because it's a convenience thing - I would not spend time on cash only businesses. As to any transaction fees....well, build that into the selling price of your product.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I would accept credit cards, because it's a convenience thing - I would not spend time on cash only businesses. As to any transaction fees....well, build that into the selling price of your product.
The volume of business is going to make a difference. $500/$750 is not going to be much of an impulse item. Now if they are selling one or two a week, taking credit card would not pay off. Eight to ten a week, it would.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,376,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The volume of business is going to make a difference. $500/$750 is not going to be much of an impulse item. Now if they are selling one or two a week, taking credit card would not pay off. Eight to ten a week, it would.
Sure. There comes a certain point you have to act like a big business. As in, having a Yellow Page ad, taking credit cards, and the like. My pet peeve is restaurants that take, say, Master Card but not Visa or Discover. Because that inconveniences me - I like using Discover exclusively when/where I can.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Sure. There comes a certain point you have to act like a big business. As in, having a Yellow Page ad, taking credit cards, and the like. My pet peeve is restaurants that take, say, Master Card but not Visa or Discover. Because that inconveniences me - I like using Discover exclusively when/where I can.
I always due a million+. It is just high dollars sales. Most are financed, a lot is insurance work. Some for HUD. I spend about $4500 a year in phone book adds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment