U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 02:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Hello!

here are a few questions i have in my mind about this MAPC degree.

1. Is it easy for an Indian Psychotherapist to get a licence to practice in the USA?

2. The masters degree is from IGNOU. is it well recognized in the USA?

3. What is the average salary for a psychotherapist in USA?

4. Is it tough to get jobs in this field, (as a professor/ school therapist/ industrial therapist)?

Please let me know if you have any idea about this. I am extremely worried about my career prospects, and i REALLY need to get a job in the USA.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 AM

141 posts, read 133,684 times
Do you have a work visa?

Old 02-09-2015, 03:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,895,600 times
''Psychotherapy'' is a highly oversaturated field with insurance companies paying less and less. It is very difficult to build up a private practice to attract clients. I'd advise you to avoid.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 AM

6,078 posts, read 7,801,880 times
That's apparently a distance learning university in India. No one has heard of it here and distance-learning university degrees even from American Universities are not well regarded. The MAPC degree is something that isn't common. A MSW degree is more usual here for counseling with a degree at the Masters level.

If someone is telling you that you can come to America and be a professor with a Master's level degree from a foreign online university, this person is either poorly informed or not your friend.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM

10,593 posts, read 18,963,459 times
You would be wasting your time and money. A degree from an on-line Indian school will not translate into a job in the US.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:05 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,751,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbows101 View Post
Hello!

1. Is it easy for an Indian Psychotherapist to get a licence to practice in the USA?

4. Is it tough to get jobs in this field, (as a professor/ school therapist/ industrial therapist)?

Please let me know if you have any idea about this. I am extremely worried about my career prospects, and i REALLY need to get a job in the USA.
First, stop using acronyms that nobody has heard of. The proper way to use an acronym is to put the full name immediately followed by the acronym in parenthesis the first time the name is used. thereafter you only use the acronym.

There are many, many, many therapists in the US. Most have a masters degree in something like Marriage & Family Therapy (MFT). <--------See what i did there

Each state has there own requirements for licensing that range from very strict, to essentially none.

Because of how many therapists there are, it is tough to get started unless you have a specialty that is in demand. For example i know of a therapists who's specialty is in working with child sexual perpetrators, tough crowd to deal with and a huge market, but its not for everyone. As an Indian, there may be a niche working in the Indian community if therapy is accepted, something I don't know.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 AM

3,070 posts, read 6,794,590 times
Quote:
Hello!

1. Is it easy for an Indian Psychotherapist to get a license to practice in the USA?
Each state has it own board for licensing and getting a license in one state often don't easily transfer to another state.

Quote:
No, you would have to get a United States college/University to recognize your course work and give you a degree from there school. They have little incentive to do this, after all they make money when you attend there school. They are not a public service (even state schools), they are in the business of education to make money. The best you could hope for is for a college to accept some / most of your course work and you'll have to attend there school to retake the courses/credits they do not accept. It will not be cheap, but will be cheaper than retaking all the courses. There are plenty of doctors and engineers from other countries working as janitors in this country because there education doesn't mean squat here. Unfair yes, but that's the way it is.

After you have your degree from an US college, you have to meet the license board requirements to get your license. Generally this mean working 2000 hours for an agency/group where a licensed therapist supervises your work. The licensed therapist has to have the proper accreditation as well. My Wife had to repeat a couple hundred hours because someone who supervised her didn't qualify.

Quote:
Unlicensed bachelors level social work, 30 to 40k tops.
Licensed master degree 50 to 60k
Licensed Doctorate degree (where you can prescribe medication) 100k+

Quote:
Very tough if you thinking of getting a school therapist job, but there's lots of demand working in counseling agencies.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 810,753 times
OP - in other words, forget it.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM

24,671 posts, read 63,090,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Do you have a work visa?
That's the prime question. Go to the Legal Immigration forum and click on the USCIS link in the first "sticky" on that page to see what, if any, visas you're eligible for. You can only get a working visa in any field if you possess particular skills in the field which can't be matched by a US citizen.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,511 times
Thanks everyone!
A psychotherapist from USA just replied to my email.

He suggested that I complete my doctorate in USA itself, at an APA accredited school. Things should probably be fine for me then.

lets see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment