Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM

765 posts, read 986,677 times

Advertisements

Do they get fired?

Do they get promoted?

or any raises?

What happens to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 05:54 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,352 times
Yes, I have. If they're liked, sociable, etc, they get raises and may get promoted. Only time I've seen them fired is when they weren't liked, at all. They just became a liability.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Yes, yes, yes!!! And yes they have been promoted. Probably get yearly raises. If someone brings up how lazy and incompetent they are, they are told to be quiet about it, and do not rock the ship by bringing it up! So everyone just buries their head in the sand and lets the incompetence run rampant!!! They have been with the company for 13 years and will continue to suck for probably another 13!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Yes, yes, yes!!! And yes they have been promoted. Probably get yearly raises. If someone brings up how lazy and incompetent they are, they are told to be quiet about it, and do not rock the ship by bringing it up! So everyone just buries their head in the sand and lets the incompetence run rampant!!! They have been with the company for 13 years and will continue to suck for probably another 13!

Yep..sure did see a few examples of that, (certainly NOT the mainstay) who got protected...I use to use the term " PremaDonna's" who had reached the level of INCOMPETENCE...better known as "Peter's Principle"...and yet eventually..THEY too fell..because their luck ran out..Their backers left..because of something they did which could be documented ...I say..Good riddance to those folk..But then again..many kiss proper butts in order to gain reputation...BUT eventually they assume too much!!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Do they get fired?

Do they get promoted?

or any raises?

What happens to them?
Yes, I've known these types of employees. There are 2 types: 1) the social butterflies, and 2) the well-connected ones.

1)The social butterflies.
They are usually very social, and lots of people like them. So people put up with them because they are pleasant to be around. But if their work performance doesn't improve, they usually wind up getting fired eventually.

2) The well-connected ones.
These people have a connection who is powerful in the organization. It's almost guaranteed that they will not get fired. They would have to do something really crazy to get fired. The other most likely way they could wind up getting fired is if their connection leaves or loses power for whatever reason.

If they have a powerful connection looking out for them, they most likely will keep their job and continue to do the bare minimum. They may get promoted and get a raise, depending on how much power their connection has.

I've seen this dozens of times. Whenever I've seen lazy or incompetent people hold on to good jobs, it usually eventually comes out that they have a connection to someone with power and influence. And no one wants to step on that person's toes.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
At one point, I worked a job where there were eight of us and eight territories. Every month, we all moved to the next territory going clockwise. Unfortunately, I follwed a fellow who never did any of his follow-ups. So, every month, I would move to a new territory and recive a huge stack of files that had never gotten finished. I had to close all of his cases as well as all of mine. It wsa quite annoying.

It was a government job, and I suspect you have to murder the mayor in order to get fired from a government job. So he just cruised along, not carrying his weight, and waiting to have enough years in to retire. He didn't get any promotions and all the pay raises were scheduled and everyone got them on schedule.

There ar a lot of government employees who put in the bare minimum of effort. They have job security and get paid exactly the same whether they do any work or not.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Yes, and it is very frustrating to those who care about their jobs and have a strong work ethic.

I have learned, though, that if the lazy/incompetent co-worker has been there for at least a year, that management does know about him or her, and they will take it VERY badly if you speak up, especially if you are the new to the position. So then you just have to decide how unhappy that other person is going to actually bother you, and if the answer is "a great deal", the best thing to do is to just leave as soon as you find another job.

In fact, my husband once had the gall to complain, with VERY good reason, to his boss about a co-worker, and he was basically told to mind his own business. (My husband quit soon after that and found a MUCH better job, btw.)

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
"Ever met the employee who does the bare minimum at work?"

Yes, I believe their called the Average American Worker

Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
"Ever met the employee who does the bare minimum at work?"

Yes, I believe their called the Average American Worker

hahahaaa *they're, but hahahaaaaa. I'm laughing to keep from crying. ....

Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM

5,899 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Yeah, back when I was working retail during college. I and many others always had to pick up the slack. She was there for three years.

It even made me a strong supporter of eliminating the minimum wage there for a while. I figured they could bump her down to $3.50 an hour and pay me the extra few bucks on top of my hourly rate. Made me realize that the whole "equal pay for equal work" is a sham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment