U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM

63 posts, read 63,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Dont you just hate this catch 22 ?
But im a hard worker all i need is a chance?

Sorry we found someone with experience

Idk if i will hire you because you have no experience

HI SIR WE JUST WANT TO INFORM THAT YOU WERE GREAT IN THE INTERVIEW ( omg i got the job

However ( oh nooooo)

We decided to go with someone that has experience ( grrr)

Thank you America we have such a good job market (not) ;p

Until one day....

Hi sir so we would like to bring you in

Can you bring your social security and blahh blahh

Omg took me damn forever finally
What you guys think of this? Isnt it annoying going thru this?
Yeah, even Entry Level position they required 1-2 years of experience, so, why used "Entry Level" in the job's ads? is because of "Entry Level's PAID!"... Is America in good job market? NO, but is good underpaid market, or freelancer, part-time job's market...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 PM

63 posts, read 63,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It's crazy. Even entry level jobs seem to require experience now. Internships in my day were very hard to get, so you had to hope for someone would hire you without have experience and take a chance.
They put "Entry Level" not because easy for candidates that have no experience, but their budget is for Entry Level position... I registered and interviewed with 2 staffing companies, trying to get some training to build my Resume.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM

765 posts, read 933,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanya View Post
Yeah, even Entry Level position they required 1-2 years of experience, so, why used "Entry Level" in the job's ads? is because of "Entry Level's PAID!"... Is America in good job market? NO, but is good underpaid market, or freelancer, part-time job's market...
Underpaid is so DAMN TRUE

Old 03-26-2015, 02:13 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,027,172 times
Although I am doing OK I realize it can be a frustrating process to get to a place where you are ok. I went through it. I'm in my early 40's and it took a long time.

What I went through and what many others are going through is exactly the reason that I am making as many contacts as I can now and setting up what I can now in order to help my son when he is of age. I’m taking action and strategizing now, years in advance. My mom was a nobody...a store clerk. But she knew how to get people to like and trust her and when I was out of college and needed a job, she persuaded one of the store customers (who owned a small business) to give me a chance. I got the job. It was no great job or anything but it was a job and moved me forward in its own small way. It also enabled me to begin paying my mother rent to help with the mortgage (she called it rent though) and was one of the many things that taught me about being independent. Thanks Mom! Now that I am fairly successful, I fully intend to put everything I have into helping my kid get a better gig than my Mom got me. I can’t even imagine how many people she asked on my behalf.

People need advocates that are willing to reach and put themselves out there for them. But then, those people need to take advantage of any favors or luck that come their way and pay it forward two fold.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,870,219 times
this has never been an issue for me. networking is important!

then again i am young so what do i know!

Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM

2,497 posts, read 2,612,577 times
Wow. Creating false identities so that you can rep yourself. You need help, man.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 PM

134 posts, read 165,775 times
This is one thread that I basically agree with all viewpoints.

It can be disheartening to go through college and or trade school and look at the job postings for a chosen field and see entry-level after entry-level position that require several years of experience.

Though, this is where personal responsibility and being proactive comes in. Internships or apprenticeships are key. Many people believe it or not are happy to talk to someone who is either in college or trying to better themselves, improve their life.

If you can't seem to land even a basic internship, volunteer. Seriously non-profits need people with a variety of experience ranging from donation outreach, in the business world can be translated to lead generation since so many use Salesforce, and marketing outreach through platforms like MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.

If you are a business major or looking into that field try to help organize spreadsheets, utilizing Excel which skill-set can be transferred to SQL, Move4Forward please feel free to chime in.

Engineering, tech is obviously with helping to build websites, apps! Or just to maybe secure their networks, etc??

Pound the pavement or in today's society surf and search hard on the net! Reach out. Smile. Shake hands. LinkedIn your heart out. Tweet like like your life depends on it. Facebook when you are hungry, haha!

Most of all don't let the jerks keep you down. There is a job rainbow at the end of the tunnel. It may take a few snowstorms, floods and or earthquakes to get there, but eventually!!!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 AM

902 posts, read 1,116,593 times
From what I learned, college is no guarantee of a job. College does not also teach you skills. It proves you have the ability to learn, to follow directions, drive and time management skills, but unless you're getting a practical degree in an applied science/math or even going to a trade school, you are not being taught the necessary skills needed in order to get a decent job coming out of college.

It's just, unfortunately, what it is. The dream was being sold as a two-for-one package "College degree equates to an immediate great job!" No. No it doesn't. It means you have greater potential but when you leave college, you're lacking essential experience (unless you had a good job throughout college - unlikely) that is needed in order to get a decent job. Even now, a little over a year after graduating, I still am not anywhere salary wise that will allow me to comfortably pay off my loans.

But at least now I'm wiser about it all. I will not sell the "dream" to my children the same way it was sold to me. If I even have kids at this point.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,515 posts, read 72,348,287 times
Getting a job has always been a competitive process. Despite the economic recovery since the crash, there are still plenty of well qualified people working below their capability level, or doing the same work for less pay. That means a new job-seeker is competing not only with others in the same boat, but with more experienced people that already have a job elsewhere. No hiring manager is likely to select someone with no experience if there are candidates with experience available, regardless of whether "entry level" or not. As long as outsourcing and automation continue, this is only going to get worse, so the internship, and working part-time while in college become much more important in being able to compete.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 AM

305 posts, read 682,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
From what I learned, college is no guarantee of a job. College does not also teach you skills. It proves you have the ability to learn, to follow directions, drive and time management skills, but unless you're getting a practical degree in an applied science/math or even going to a trade school, you are not being taught the necessary skills needed in order to get a decent job coming out of college.

It's just, unfortunately, what it is. The dream was being sold as a two-for-one package "College degree equates to an immediate great job!" No. No it doesn't. It means you have greater potential but when you leave college, you're lacking essential experience (unless you had a good job throughout college - unlikely) that is needed in order to get a decent job. Even now, a little over a year after graduating, I still am not anywhere salary wise that will allow me to comfortably pay off my loans.

But at least now I'm wiser about it all. I will not sell the "dream" to my children the same way it was sold to me. If I even have kids at this point.
Then why is it that every employer and their dog asks for a bachelor's degree for jobs a bum can learn on youtube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment