U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM
 
306 posts, read 487,737 times
Reputation: 714

Advertisements

You need to do whatever you can to get ahead, and in some cases a little lie or exaggerating the truth can't hurt despite what most of the overzealous types will say on here.

You also need a Bachelor's degree usually to get an entry level position. Bachelor's degrees these days are the equivalent to how high school diplomas used to be.

If you did not have great grades nor an internship in college and you can't find anything, do whatever it takes to get a job.

Fib on your resume, say you had an internship at your friend's company and have him vouch for you. Apply to smaller companies for really basic office type positions that pay hourly... work there for a year or two... exaggerate your experience from there and apply to a corporation that has an open position in your field... work there for a year and then add that to your resume and make it look like it was more than what it was.

Eventually you will have enough experience to help you land that entry level job that pays over $50K a year with good benefits.

Entry level = a college standout with internship experience or 1-3 years of experience with a degree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM
 
902 posts, read 1,119,456 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Then why is it that every employer and their dog asks for a bachelor's degree for jobs a bum can learn on youtube
From what others have told me, it's because a degree is a good indicator of the type of person you are. Motivated, driven, can learn, can type, knows Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc. They want this is a 'prerequisite'. But they won't pay you more for having that degree. I am consistently seeing graduates getting into 30K/year jobs, and that's if they're lucky. A lot I know are working temp jobs making $12 or $13/hr.

Trust me, I was just as bummed when I learned a college degree really will not get you a better job out of the gates. And no one would take me either because you needed experience, and I thought my degree should've meant something. Nope. Only meant I passed "one" requirement to getting a decent job - but I failed where experience counted the most.

Down the line, sure, a degree means more... but at that point you've already gotten experience from somewhere so.

Here's a fun story. While I was a temp making $12/hr, I came across two people who did not have degrees. First was a receptionist, another temp, working on her degree. She made $17/hr. The other, no degree, worked in AP, made $55K/year and had the nerve to complain that it wasn't "enough".

That's the world for ya.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 10:26 AM
 
1,741 posts, read 2,473,827 times
Reputation: 1495
Sadly it is one of the insanities of the world that exists today. Don't bother trying to explain it, don't bother trying to find the logic behind it for you will be wracking your brain for hours and still in the have no coherent explanation of this inane circular reasoning-simply accept.

The way I have seen people escape this horrid circular logic is:

1) Graduate with a in demand degree, preferably you graduate with work experience/internships along the way yet I have found that even if your work experience is a bit slim to nonexistent, the fact that you have the in demand degree (accounting, nursing, engineering etc..) is often enough to find a job.

2) Actually able to land a internship during college and yes I know "easier said than done", internships are not guaranteed and in my experience are just as competitive as landing a full time job.

3) Actually able to land an entry level job that is willing to train and does not require previous experience and a specific degree in X (almost like finding Atlantis I know)

4) Relative, friends, inside connections to land a job

5) Work your way up from a McJob to a real job
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
 
4,273 posts, read 2,606,559 times
Reputation: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Not sure we mean the same thing when i said intership. Mine was a training rotation for clincial work at the hospital. I called it an intership since i was a student but got hands on experience. It was offered like a class so i paid to do it, not get paid for the work. Got a job out of it though.

Another one was working with the professors doing research. Got a published paper for it and would serve as my intership if i went into research or grad school for it.

I basically mean interships offered through the college as part of the coursework and not just a parttime job. Like you get college credits for doing the internship. But you apprentice with them for real experience outside the classroom

My school didn't offer that even when I told them I was having trouble finding a job. They just said look on the job listings. The best I got was a career counselor and I found that on the website on my own.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
You need to do whatever you can to get ahead, and in some cases a little lie or exaggerating the truth can't hurt despite what most of the overzealous types will say on here.

You also need a Bachelor's degree usually to get an entry level position. Bachelor's degrees these days are the equivalent to how high school diplomas used to be.

If you did not have great grades nor an internship in college and you can't find anything, do whatever it takes to get a job.

Fib on your resume, say you had an internship at your friend's company and have him vouch for you. Apply to smaller companies for really basic office type positions that pay hourly... work there for a year or two... exaggerate your experience from there and apply to a corporation that has an open position in your field... work there for a year and then add that to your resume and make it look like it was more than what it was.

Eventually you will have enough experience to help you land that entry level job that pays over $50K a year with good benefits.

Entry level = a college standout with internship experience or 1-3 years of experience with a degree.

That's the thing. A Bachelor's is more borrowed money. I had a hard enough time having to borrow money for an Associate's and the degree would mean nothing if you haven't had enough formal jobs.
You say fib but what if all you know how to do is be honest?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM
 
306 posts, read 487,737 times
Reputation: 714
If you are an honest person, have no degree, and don't have relevant experience to the position you are looking for, an entry level position that offers a salary of $50K+ and benefits are pretty impossible to get unless you know someone higher up.

Like I said, entry level at corporations = high GPA college graduate with internships OR college graduate with 1-3 years of relevant experience OR someone with no degree and 5-10 years of relevant experience, although college degrees seem expected.

This is just how it seems in my field of Accounting. Other areas of work may be different.

Being honest will hurt you because a lot of people lie and exaggerate their resumes. If someone actually has relevant experience and also exaggerates their resume, why do you think a recruiter would schedule an interview for you over them?

70-75% of all resumes contain some sort of exaggeration of skills and abilities, 20-25% of those resumes contain outright lies (like made-up positions) which are grounds for termination if caught. I remember seeing this stat on some background agency website. A cashier at a petting zoo will display it on their resume as; "Customer Relations Coordinator" or something silly if they are trying to get an office gig.

It is a competitive world out there.

You can land an entry level job at a small company or temp agency if you have no experience and are a good interview, but that would probably be $10-$13 an hour with minimal/expensive benefits. If you stick it out there for a couple years, that experience may help you land an entry level job with good pay and benefits somewhere else...

This post I made applies primarily to corporate jobs, if you are looking for an entry level job in any field, take up a welding trade or look into obtaining a license of some sort.

Last edited by Spedizzo; 03-27-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM
 
4,273 posts, read 2,606,559 times
Reputation: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
If you are an honest person, have no degree, and don't have relevant experience to the position you are looking for, an entry level position that offers a salary of $50K+ and benefits are pretty impossible to get unless you know someone higher up.

Like I said, entry level at corporations = high GPA college graduate with internships OR college graduate with 1-3 years of relevant experience OR someone with no degree and 5-10 years of relevant experience, although college degrees seem expected.

This is just how it seems in my field of Accounting. Other areas of way may be different.

Being honest will hurt you because a lot of people lie and exaggerate their resumes. If someone actually has relevant experience and also exaggerates their resume, why do you think a recruiter would schedule an interview for you over them?

It is a competitive world out there.
I have an Associate's and I know how to do the job. I may not have had a formal job but I've been using computers all my life and I've owned plenty of animals. If I don't have the ability to do the job then obviously I won't apply like I wouldn't apply for construction for example.
Also I don't care what the salary is. That's the really stupid part. I just want something that pays better than surveys...just a decent income whether it's part time or full time. As long as it's something I'd be comfortable doing it doesn't matter how much the pay is. I will take minimum wage. In fact I wouldn't expect any more than that anyway.

Well I kinda don't because I know they seem to value faking who you are more than anything else if you don't fit into their box but I don't know how to fake myself. I don't even know how to fake confidence though I've tried since a therapist tried to teach me. I've been thinking it's because I have a mental disability but for whatever the reason I can't be good at being dishonest. Sure I could probably do it on paper but if they ask me about it in an interview, I am sure to choke. I wish I could lie because I was banned from a chat box once for stating my true feelings so honesty only can seem to get me into trouble.
But I think they SHOULD give me a chance because they should be able to trust me more over someone who would lie to get into a job. If a potential employee lies to them to get into the job, wouldn't it be common sense to wonder what else are they going to lie to them about?

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-27-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 12:54 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 5,347,016 times
Reputation: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Dont you just hate this catch 22 ?
But im a hard worker all i need is a chance?

Sorry we found someone with experience

Idk if i will hire you because you have no experience

HI SIR WE JUST WANT TO INFORM THAT YOU WERE GREAT IN THE INTERVIEW ( omg i got the job

However ( oh nooooo)

We decided to go with someone that has experience ( grrr)

Thank you America we have such a good job market (not) ;p

Until one day....

Hi sir so we would like to bring you in

Can you bring your social security and blahh blahh

Omg took me damn forever finally
What you guys think of this? Isnt it annoying going thru this?
HA! Try being a stay at home mom for a while THEN try to get a job!


This whole thing is a major joke! Stop voting those who keep this status quo!

Interestingly enough the majority of our politicians don't have a degree in politics or any sort of "experience"! Another unexplained catch22!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
32,833 posts, read 27,374,800 times
Reputation: 43250
It is a catch 22 and is preventing a lot of younger workers from getting above the most menial jobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM
 
1,188 posts, read 1,374,757 times
Reputation: 2107
sorry but if you aren't in a field where you can get work experience with internships while you are in college... you are cooked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
30,976 posts, read 42,676,696 times
Reputation: 71913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Then why is it that every employer and their dog asks for a bachelor's degree for jobs a bum can learn on youtube
Because some people are graduating from high school and still can't read, don't do any math, and never learned to show up for class on time. That high school diploma sometimes means very little; it's been devalued and degraded over the years until it now means virtually nothing except that you got a gold star just for breathing.

If you can understand the employer's point of view: if they get applications from someone with no work experience and another person who has already done the job for two years, they don't have to train the experienced person and they are less likely to have to teach the experienced person how to show up for work on time. Training takes time and money. The experienced person is a better deal.

If you don't have work experience, you can substitute something that will show you have a work ethic and that you are reliable and know how to show up on time and do your job. If you can't get an internship, take some vocational classes. If there are no vocational classes that apply, then do volunteer work at a visible charity.

Volunteer, work hard, be reliable, be pleasant to work with and the chairman of that charity will give you a glowing reference. That might not be experience in that particular job, but it is proof that you are dependable and that you know how to work. That removes a lot of the objection that businesses have to untrained people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top