U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:42 PM

660 posts, read 815,836 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing jobs request a long-term commitment more and more often. But the thing is, I don't know what they mean by long-term.

Is one year considered long-term or short-term? I want to apply for these jobs, but I do not want to stay in a particular company for more than a year. Reason being is that, although we signed a one year lease again, we have ZERO plans to sign another one year lease, so rain or shine my husband and I ARE planning to relocate after a year. That's it.

This means that I would like a job that I can do part-time for a year or full-time for 6 months or so. After getting screwed over for many many months, I do not think I am emotionally ready as of yet to invest in a full-time job over the long-term, hence, why I think I'll only be able to handle more than forty hours for six months. There are part-time positions for hire but requesting long-term, I do not mind working those for a year, but my question is, is a long-term commitment one year, or is it more than one year?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,602,293 times
6-12 months is definitely not a long term commitment. It's subjective, but I would say a long-term commitment would be a minimum of 2 or 3 years.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
One year is far from long term, it's barely more than temporary. I would consider long term to be at least 10 years. That's the new, shorter definition. Until about 10 years ago, long term employment used to be 20-30+ years.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 PM

11,299 posts, read 10,017,361 times
One year max is not long term.

I would say that long term means you have no definite plans to leave. You might stay 5 years, you might stay for life.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:06 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,112,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I've been seeing jobs request a long-term commitment more and more often. But the thing is, I don't know what they mean by long-term.

Is one year considered long-term or short-term? I want to apply for these jobs, but I do not want to stay in a particular company for more than a year. Reason being is that, although we signed a one year lease again, we have ZERO plans to sign another one year lease, so rain or shine my husband and I ARE planning to relocate after a year. That's it.

This means that I would like a job that I can do part-time for a year or full-time for 6 months or so. After getting screwed over for many many months, I do not think I am emotionally ready as of yet to invest in a full-time job over the long-term, hence, why I think I'll only be able to handle more than forty hours for six months. There are part-time positions for hire but requesting long-term, I do not mind working those for a year, but my question is, is a long-term commitment one year, or is it more than one year?
You're in an at-will state. That means they can fire you whenever they want, and you can leave whenever you want. So, don't sweat it. Just MHO.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 6,792,553 times
My opinion differs, anything under 6 months is short term unemployed, anything over 6 months long term unemployed

Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 AM

16,380 posts, read 19,649,118 times
Long term usually means "as long as the company wants to keep you".

In reality, they want you to consider staying there with no end date in sight. 5 years, 10 years and even longer from the employer's point of view, unless they decide they no longer need you. Then you are told to pack your desk and leave the same day.

But if they ask you the old interview question "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?". Your answer better include working at that employer in some capacity, else you won't get the job if they are advertising they want a long term committment.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,485,545 times
Depends on occupation. Engineering or IT, anything over a year. Law, anything under 10 is short term.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM

10,591 posts, read 18,959,658 times
It depends on the industry, the specific business, and turnover. One year at a burger joint may make you a long term employee, while it may take five years someplace else to be considered long term. My cousin has worked at a place for 12-15 years (I don't remember exactly how long) and, while he is a long term employe, he is still the junior man. Depending on the employee, I generally consider long term to be somewhere in the five to ten year mark.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 AM

28,029 posts, read 13,112,381 times
I agree with Joe that every company is going to have their own notion about what constitutes long term. I once thought long term meant 10 plus years. I now think it could mean five plus years.

Personally, I would wonder about companies who add this to their job postings because either they're hiring a majority of young people, who do tend to job hop and they haven't figured that out, or they have a revolving door because of internal problems and they aren't recognizing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment