Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,532 times

Advertisements

So many people are not doing the work that matches their God given gifts. There are people who are outgoing excellent public speakers who work as data entry clerks, and there are plenty of nervous ill at ease introverts trying to make a living as a salesperson. I see others who are so bored at their jobs because they chose a career because they were told there were alot of jobs, but the work does not match their personality or aptitude.

How about you, are you using your God given skills and gifts in your career or are you in a job because it has opportunities and good pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,681 times
Well, we can't all be The Incredibles.
Contrary to the info in that movie, superheroes don't get paid that much, so they have side jobs, like Clark Kent did.

Seriously though, I think the reason that so many never self-actualize is that life gets in the way. Basic needs come first, and they stay first.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,736 times
I'm in sales and am using my skill sets; communication, listening, consultative skills, time management, negotiating, follow up. I know many people that I think would make great salespeople, but many are afraid of it. If you like people, are driven and want to earn money commensurate to your efforts and talents (commission), there's nothing better.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 PM

667 posts, read 2,301,266 times
I'm wasting my personality on this job.

I like being kind, compassionate, helpful & giving people the time of day.
Where I work, my boss encourages me to be short, quiet, stern & reams me when I accomodate someone.

I'm currently on the market & have an interview today!
Wish me luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:00 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I'm in sales and am using my skill sets; communication, listening, consultative skills, time management, negotiating, follow up. I know many people that I think would make great salespeople, but many are afraid of it. If you like people, are driven and want to earn money commensurate to your efforts and talents (commission), there's nothing better.
Lots of sales people in my family have been selling for 30 years+ and they are bitter, liers, and like to rip people off and have no knowledge to what they are selling. One of them put my grandfather who wouldn't hurt a fly into $15,000 debt. They make more then $60,000 a year so I know what they do works. Not calling all you sales people bad, alot of good ones too.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 AM

228 posts, read 797,254 times
Smile Trying to use my God given talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
So many people are not doing the work that matches their God given gifts. There are people who are outgoing excellent public speakers who work as data entry clerks, and there are plenty of nervous ill at ease introverts trying to make a living as a salesperson. I see others who are so bored at their jobs because they chose a career because they were told there were alot of jobs, but the work does not match their personality or aptitude.

How about you, are you using your God given skills and gifts in your career or are you in a job because it has opportunities and good pay?
This year was one of realization for me. I really came to understand that people do their best, and make the greatest contributions to our society, when they use their God given talents and gifts. I am grateful that I figured this out while there is still time to do what I need to do. After years of listening to others, and going after the wrong things, I'm ready to turn it around and have a great future. Thank God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment