Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:30 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded09 View Post
Thank you,

How do you recommend I check myself if I am no longer an employee?

So they can say if the termination was voluntary or involuntary, but that can be explained away by the financial problems the company was having. The company lost almost 50% of its book in the time that I was there (only 10 months). The best Producer left the week before they "fired me" which still has me upset as to opposed to why they didn't just lay me off especially if they're going to give me severance and not contest unemployment. It doesn't make sense? They're offering me 8 weeks severance if I sign an agreement saying I won't sue the company and of course the 24 months of non-compete language in the insurance industry.

I guess what I'm worried about is does it say if I am eligible for rehire? I honestly believe I was let go for financial reasons, but I obviously can't have this come back to me in a bad way. My supervisor told me she would refer all references to that number (she wasn't the one that fired me by the way - she didn't even know it was happening) and the Producer that left to go to a competing company said he would back me up in a reference check about the financial problems of the company. I'm just worried that there is something there that states if I am eligible for rehire. I need to find that out.
If it just happened, nothing may show up yet. Like a credit report, it might take a little time, so you may not want to use up your free annual report too quickly.

You should be able to ask the company's HR department exactly what, if anything, they will report. I have several past employers on my report when I checked it last year, and only one had reported that particular piece of data. My suspicion (but I could be wrong) is that most companies don't say anything, for the same reason that they don't give out info beyond dates of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:59 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm worried about is does it say if I am eligible for rehire? I honestly believe I was let go for financial reasons, but I obviously can't have this come back to me in a bad way. My supervisor told me she would refer all references to that number (she wasn't the one that fired me by the way - she didn't even know it was happening) and the Producer that left to go to a competing company said he would back me up in a reference check about the financial problems of the company. I'm just worried that there is something there that states if I am eligible for rehire. I need to find that out.
Of course not. However I doubt background checkers will simply rely on TWN for employment verification since it is only partial. They will call the company you worked for first who will often give titles and dates of employment or they may direct them to TWN.

TWN will not and likely never have work performance information. That is a legal mine-field. They have to have the user initiation on the salary information as well as giving that information out (except for public employees) is also very iffy if not illegal.

Most companies will only verify titles and dates of employment. If you are worried I'd have Alyson Taylor or another service or friend call posing as a reference checker and find out.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM

46 posts, read 141,211 times
Got it 15 days to find out what it says. As if my anxiety wasn't high enough already.

I have written on my resume that my job ended due to the Practice's financial difficulties. That is the truth. The HR department of the company wrote me a letter saying that it doesn't state the reason for leaving.

The only thing I have to do now is hope it doesn't say if I'm eligible for rehire. Not sure how I could explain that one if it says no.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM

My supervisor stated she would refer all inquiries to the work number. The letter I received from HR said that leadership was reminded of the company's protocol to do that. So it sounds like they just want me to go away and that's fine as long as I'm not injured by this. Having a firing on your record will be very difficult to overcome; especially when it doesn't make sense.

Some have proposed that I bring my personnel file in to interviews and say that I was let go without cause presumably for financial reasons and show my performance review (which was good) and state that I was paid a bonus and never warned about anything? That might be a little too much and I doubt that a future employer would actually believe how dysfunctional this past one was.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
You need to calm down. You have everything you need. You tell future employers you were laid off as that is essentially what your employer will say as well.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM

I will feel much better about my chances of getting a job if there is no eligible for rehire at this company. I wish I didn't worry, but I gotta be honest.

What would you think if someone said they were laid off and then you checked their references and it said they're not eligible for rehire?

Then I have a problem

Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 PM

When I say references, I mean this work number

Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
I will feel much better about my chances of getting a job if there is no eligible for rehire at this company. I wish I didn't worry, but I gotta be honest.

What would you think if someone said they were laid off and then you checked their references and it said they're not eligible for rehire?

Then I have a problem
You are overthinking which is causing you to panic. Panic breeds screwups. Walk away from this for a day or two and calm down otherwise you are liable to become your own worst enemy by trying too hard to overcome something you think will be a negative and that causes you to muck it up big time. As others have said, it sounds like your former employer only provides the basics and nothing more.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 PM

Yeah, I know. That's unfortunately a trait of mine that I cannot eliminate. It can be both a positive or, in this case, a debilitating negative.

I need the answer for strategy though as my resume makes me look like a job hopper. I'm five years out of college. My first job I stayed at for a little over two years before heading to a bank that was already in the process of soliciting bids for itself. Needless to say, I was only there for 7 months, but at least I didn't lose my job instantly. I had 6 months to look with regulatory approval taking place.

I then went to a consulting company where I stayed there for 14 months before going to this current nightmare of a consulting company that only lasted 10 months. I'm hoping to be able to play the card of unfortunate circumstances, but am not sure if it's available. I also have level 3 of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam in June and this is seriously preventing me from concentrating on studying for that.

I know that if I lie and that if it is found out I can be terminated at any time even if I successfully manage to get hired by a prospective employer. So I'm also struggling with that. Do I tell the truth and risk being blacklisted by employers for having a firing on my resume? I don't want to admit to that if I don't have to. So I find myself asking what is the probability of being able to push this under the rug and having no one find out about it? The two primary factors are:

1. Does this site mention if I'm eligible for rehire
2. I can't go back into the insurance industry in this city as everything is interconnected and people know each other.

The positive: I do want to move home. I'm hoping that in the long run this will be a good thing for me as this is an excuse to move back home instead of being out in a different state where my relationships with people aren't strong. People keep telling me that in the long run this will be a good thing, but right now it is extremely devastating. I, obviously, do not handle uncertainty very well.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
I agree with the other posters, you're making too much of this. The vast majority of companies today will do nothing more than verify dates of employment. Stating something as ambiguous as "not eligible for rehire" is an invitation to get sued. You were laid off. That's what you tell prospective employers and don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment