Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times

Advertisements

I'm doing employment verifications now and best believe they ask if you're eligible to be rehired and if you've been let go. If you do not answer questions about pay, length of assignment, bonuses, etc, there is a question that states something along the lines of "are you choosing not to answer because the employee is not eligible for re-hire?" All very sneaky questions to figure out the base question of "has this employee been terminated?" I was shocked and a bit disgusted, to say the least.

I've also seen screens/reports where I could see how others responded to these questions.. best believe they are saying whatever they want, as long as its true. A vast majority I've seen have been nice enough to put "N/A" in a lot of those slots, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 PM

135 posts, read 165,332 times
They didn't fight the unemployment and you got a severance package??? Seems straight forward to me, you were laid off. If the company's in as bad a financial position as you indicate, no one is going to be there to answer the phone and say you were fired.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:37 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
I'm doing employment verifications now and best believe they ask if you're eligible to be rehired and if you've been let go. If you do not answer questions about pay, length of assignment, bonuses, etc, there is a question that states something along the lines of "are you choosing not to answer because the employee is not eligible for re-hire?" All very sneaky questions to figure out the base question of "has this employee been terminated?" I was shocked and a bit disgusted, to say the least.

I've also seen screens/reports where I could see how others responded to these questions.. best believe they are saying whatever they want, as long as its true. A vast majority I've seen have been nice enough to put "N/A" in a lot of those slots, though.
It doesn't matter what gets asked, it's whether or not the prior employer answers. Most don't, at least not companies large enough to have competent HR and Legal departments.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM

464 posts, read 803,843 times
As others here have posted, you're over-worrying and over-thinking this way too much. I can personally testify that being laid off, fired and quit without notice have not prevented me from obtaining employment.

One previous employer had a policy everyone had to sign which prevented anyone from giving a reference for any employees. The company itself would only confirm dates of employment, title and last salary.

Move forward. Good luck in your search!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM

46 posts, read 141,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post

The company is a large global, consulting firm. It would be very sneaky if they told me the site does not provide the reason for separation, but then they fill out a box saying I'm not eligible for rehire.

I just want to move on and make sure this doesn't kill my chances of getting hired. I'm going to say I got laid off and state the facts. I'm not going to say that they told me "It wasn't a good fit." On the official notice that I got from HR it says "Terminated" and not laid off. I won't be showing that to other employers.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:58 AM

I guess I'll find out in 15 days. It sucks; living with the uncertainty and the idea that I'm lying to other employers.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:07 AM

I spoke with the lawyer and said they gave me a severance package more likely than not so that I don't try to sue the company.

What does terminated without cause mean? It apparently is different than a layoff

Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
I really think you're worrying too much. If they gave you severance to avoid being sued why would they waste that money by saying something that could get them sued anyway, when they can simply do what most companies do, and not say anything?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM

me too but not everything at that company made sense

Old 04-28-2015, 01:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded09 View Post
What does terminated without cause mean? It apparently is different than a layoff
Terminated without cause means your former employer terminated your employment through no fault of your own.

It can mean a layoff, it can mean a downsizing, it can mean a shift in job duties, it can mean you do not have the specific qualifications needed to successfully complete the duties of the job, it can mean they wanted to hire the bosses niece so they just let you go to make room for her, and (most likely in this situation based on your postings) they were just sick and tired of the whining drama over every little thing to the point they wanted you gone before someone went postal.

Your employer has already stated to you that they only verify your position and time, not the reason for you no loner being employed, so continuing this the way you are is why I think they were just sick and tired of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment