U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM

19,860 posts, read 17,628,368 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/millen...00115.html?l=1

Apparently, millennials are just awful, when compared to international students and workers. Decreased educational funding and lack of training will do that. But this could be another sign that America has "jumped the shark", so to speak.

If we cannot compete on a global scale, we will all see declining standard of living. Wages will decline (as they have been) and corporations will decide to invest elsewhere. You can't elect people to solve these problems. They will only sugar coat the truth and concern themselves with reelection.

Millennials have a tendency to whine that this is not fair, which really doesn't help at all. I think it pacifies some. Regardless, companies will continue to find any means possible to avoid employing a millennial. America is probably looking at decades of stagnation, at best.

Last edited by andywire; 04-30-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,838,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Apparently, millennials are just awful, when compared to international students and workers. Decreased educational funding and lack of training will do that. But this could be another sign that America has "jumped the shark", so to speak.

If we cannot compete on a global scale, we will all see declining standard of living. Wages will decline (as they have been) and corporations will decide to invest elsewhere. You can't elect people to solve these problems. They will only sugar coat the truth and concern themselves with reelection.

Millennials have a tendency to whine that this is not fair, which really doesn't help at all. I think it pacifies some. Regardless, companies will continue to find any means possible to avoid employing a millennial. America is probably looking at decades of stagnation, at best.

I was wondering where the daily "millenials suck" post was....

"A separate study released last year by Bentley University found that nearly three-quarters of hiring managers complain that millennials—even those with college degrees—aren’t prepared for the job market and lack an adequate “work ethic.”"

I wonder if by that they mean millenials are less willing than former generations to work off the clock, work 70+ hours a week salary, and/or work for half of what previous generations earned when inflation adjusted. "Gee guys, we can pay these Indians minimum wage and require a masters, but these lazy millenials just wont keep up."

Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM

39,189 posts, read 30,623,036 times
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see how the headline and the report align?

Being good at a job isn't all, often not even mostly, about being the most proficient at sets of skills.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:23 AM

10,770 posts, read 8,576,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

I was wondering where the daily "millenials suck" post was....

"A separate study released last year by Bentley University found that nearly three-quarters of hiring managers complain that millennials—even those with college degrees—aren’t prepared for the job market and lack an adequate “work ethic.”"

I wonder if by that they mean millenials are less willing than former generations to work off the clock, work 70+ hours a week salary, and/or work for half of what previous generations earned when inflation adjusted. "Gee guys, we can pay these Indians minimum wage and require a masters, but these lazy millenials just wont keep up."
that pretty much sums it up. Take your $10/hour job and just ship it to China. People don't want to be slaves.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 AM

5,776 posts, read 6,382,554 times
Millenials are the Devil!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,539,972 times
Quote:
Yahoo!

Millenials refers to a generation.
International students refers to people from outside of america.

Comparing these two groups is like comparing black people to women... it's foolish because it ignores the overlaps.

What original study was ACTUALLY trying to say was that Americans are lagging behind international students. But it only becomes trendy when throw the word Millennial in the title.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM

30,492 posts, read 23,877,274 times
Quote:

These international workers who are in the same age bracket are also Millenials.

The fact that American Millenials have fallen behind (if they have) is as much a failure of the educational systems and training programs that are currently instituted...by prior generations, as on the Millienials themselves. There is always going to be a certain segment of society that doesn't give a rat's ass about anything, but those people are in all generations.

It took me four years after college and to land a good job, and I've had to sacrifice a lot personally to get where I am now. A lot of people aren't or can't do what I did, so those Millenials often remain stuck.

Whining doesn't help anything, but not even acknowledging there are real structural economic problems is even more ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,004,186 times
Some millenials do have poor work ethic. I am proud to say though that there are some of us that know the value of hard work.

Comparing us to international workers is unfair; they are willing to work for far lower and basically bleed for the company while receiving little in return. Not all international workers do this, but some have a different mentality.

I interviewed for a Chinese software company that wanted me to work for basically $14 per hour as a programmer and work 50-60 hours per work, give up any bonuses, while the CEO bragged about his six-figure salary. He felt employees should basically work for free. I am not saying all Chinese companies are bad, but his mentality was he was doing me a favor, to even consider me at all. So if this is keeping up with international workers. no thanks they can keep it.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 AM

19,860 posts, read 17,628,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Some millenials do have poor work ethic. I am proud to say though that there are some of us that know the value of hard work.

Comparing us to international workers is unfair; they are willing to work for far lower and basically bleed for the company while receiving little in return. Not all international workers do this, but some have a different mentality.
There was no mention of wages. Only readiness for job market. No mention was made of slave wage laborers.

Plenty of first world European countries boast substantially better scores in problem solving, mathematics, reading comprehension. These are the nations that will get first dibs on the "good jobs". Millennials will probably protest, and pretend to occupy things again. Needless to say, the situation will not improve.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM

733 posts, read 748,837 times
Some are slackers, due to being "trophy kids."

Some are stupid.

Some are uneducated even if they were "educated" - what passes for education tends to be a joke. On the world.

Some are bright.

Some are motivated and self-starters.

Some are bitter, and rightfully so. No jobs, absurd pay, no pensions to work toward, no security. Why bust your butt for someone who would sell you out for a dollar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment