Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:38 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
To be perfectly honest. Things are starting to become like Japan, long work hours, unpaid overtime, no vacation, not many good paying jobs, and very competitive. Obviously, here in the states things aren't as bad, but it sure seems like we are heading that way. A lot of people here in states admire the Japanese or like their culture, but they fail to look into what it's like working in Japan as salaryman. Full time jobs are not easy to acquire even for low wage jobs. In many ways here in states it's like that already. Ever since the 1991 economic collapse, Japan has had very little economic growth. That is what we can expect if growth doesn't pick up in States. Hopefully things turn around. It's unfortunate that we graduate in a time of little economic growth.

I feel sad that some of my same age peers have given into depression and play games all day and drinking. It's like they stop trying. I don't even know if they work any more. They don't have degrees. It's like they lost hope. At least we have hope of acquiring a good paying job. Keep applying and try to keep your spirits up. If there is one thing we both will learn from this experience is that you shouldn't take a job for granted. I am in the same boat. I don't work full time, but at least I now have some income. I rather work than play games unlike like some of my non degree peers. Strangely, I find it more enjoyable going to work than playing games. I was so close to getting hired last month. Unfortunately, I was not selected.
The people who are essentially dropping out can often given government assistance to the tune of a low wage job. Often not working pays more than working some crappy job at min wage and part time hours.

People just get discouraged and are watching their would-be careers pass them by. I don't think it's right either, but I've been in the dumps like that and don't blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:01 PM

736 posts, read 353,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The people who are essentially dropping out can often given government assistance to the tune of a low wage job. Often not working pays more than working some crappy job at min wage and part time hours.

People just get discouraged and are watching their would-be careers pass them by. I don't think it's right either, but I've been in the dumps like that and don't blame them.
It makes perfect sense to use government assistance if the pay or benefits are better than working min wage or part time. It makes me concern for them. The system was design to help people get off their feet, but instead they become dependent on the system. Their fate isn't in their hands anymore.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
The larger companies have University hire programs in which jobs don't require any previous experience. You should look into those. For example: https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2...ield=200000000

Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Most of our IT jobs require 8-10 years experience plus various certifications, and we have no problem filling them. People are always looking for a better situation, whether it's moving to a better city, more pay, better benefits, or just
to escape unpleasant co-workers or boss. We also have paid internships but only for those recently graduated or in graduate school, and they only get people 6 months experience. Despite the unfortunate situation you are in now, you are gaining experience. For most people, it takes patience and time to get to where you want to be in your career.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
Volunteering isn't bad. Frankly because many private companies have to have non profits and charitable arms as a form of PR. Boards of directors often serve on other board and entire industries can have various connections that way.

So the issue is..the job doesn't pay much or isn't what you thought ok fine but you have to start from somewhere.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:59 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Volunteering isn't bad. Frankly because many private companies have to have non profits and charitable arms as a form of PR. Boards of directors often serve on other board and entire industries can have various connections that way.

So the issue is..the job doesn't pay much or isn't what you thought ok fine but you have to start from somewhere.
I don't see how volunteering solves anything in the case of the OP. He is not out of work, and he is accumulating professional experience. It is not the best paying experience, but it is probably better quality than that which he'd get my volunteering. To me, it seems like a major timewaster for this guy.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:27 AM

306 posts, read 431,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Volunteering at this point is stupid. You live in a high cost area. There are ample job opportunities. You need income. You probably couldn't be anywhere better than NYC metro. Go after it and you'll be doing better in short order.
Yeah, I lucked out having grown up somewhere as active like this. Only place I may be able to do better is if I went out west to California.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:22 AM

212 posts, read 335,412 times
I've been in IT for a few decades now, and it does still boil down to paying your dues. I spent a couple of years providing technical support from 7PM to 4AM to drunk AT&T Globalyst customers. Definitely annoying, certainly not fun, but I showed up, did my best and carried that experience forward to better and better jobs.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
Quote:
It makes perfect sense to use government assistance if the pay or benefits are better than working min wage or part time. It makes me concern for them. The system was design to help people get off their feet, but instead they become dependent on the system. Their fate isn't in their hands anymore.

A huge welfare class is most likely going to exist in the future anyway. More and more jobs are being eliminated by technology everyday. The only jobs that will remain will require a very high IQ and the hiring and screening process extremely competitive. The vast majority of people need not apply.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 AM

306 posts, read 431,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You gotta work for free!
Very funny! I bet I'd have a position by the end of this next week if I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt1989 View Post
Nah, the internship thing is a scam. Companies use it to get free labor. My division talks about hiring an intern to do our data entry and then just let them go at the end. They don't need a particular degree, sometimes not one at all, they all have zero experience... it works out for many people, but on the large scale it's just a scam.

Speaking of all of this, I'm gunna go apply to some jobs. I did have two phone interviews last week, but I was asking too much. One here in town I asked for $70k and the other $170k (it was in San Francisco where that's a good salary, but not great).

I'm sure living that close to nyc, you'll find something in no time.
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems like many companies are looking for what they can get over on people.

I'm know I'll get something. I was only looking for 2 weeks before I got roped into what I was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Volunteer the skills that you have to offer. You know about computers/networking right? Is there a networking class that you can teach at a boys and girls club or some other service that you can provide without having to be paid for it? When you volunteer you'll get experience that may give you the advantage during the interview.
I was considering something like that. I've volunteered before, but it never had anything to do with my career.

Quote:
To be perfectly honest. Things are starting to become like Japan, long work hours, unpaid overtime, no vacation, not many good paying jobs, and very competitive. Obviously, here in the states things aren't as bad, but it sure seems like we are heading that way. A lot of people here in states admire the Japanese or like their culture, but they fail to look into what it's like working in Japan as salaryman. Full time jobs are not easy to acquire even for low wage jobs. In many ways here in states it's like that already. Ever since the 1991 economic collapse, Japan has had very little economic growth. That is what we can expect if growth doesn't pick up in the States. Hopefully things turn around. It's unfortunate that we graduated in a time of little economic growth.

I feel sad that some of my same age peers have given into depression and play games all day and drinking. It's like they stop trying. I don't even know if they work any more. They don't have degrees. It's like they lost hope. At least we have hope of acquiring a good paying job. Keep applying and try to keep your spirits up. If there is one thing we both will learn from this experience is that you shouldn't take a job for granted. I am in the same boat. I don't work full time, but at least I now have some income. I rather work than play games. Strangely, I find it more enjoyable going to work than playing games. I was so close to getting hired last month. Unfortunately, I was not selected.
Interesting take. Yes, people do obsess over Japanese culture. People often will find out one fact about a foreign country and then talk about how much better it is than right here, but they don't know anything this country has that the foreign country doesn't.

Yeah, I know people just like that. I worked around my home town shortly before graduating college. A bunch of people were still around, getting drunk all day and partying all night. Very few even had any goals for their future in-mind.

Yeah, I'll admit that I did get depressed for a little while. The actual job initiated that, because I realized everyone around me was trapped, and I was still a bit depressed when I left, but I worked through it.

Quote:
I'm not on government assistance, by the way. I'm just in a position where I don't need to work, so I worked on bettering my chances. I don't understand the people who get dependent. I'd rather do the work and make more money than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The larger companies have University hire programs in which jobs don't require any previous experience. You should look into those. For example: https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2...ield=200000000
Wow, I didn't know about this. Thanks a lot, Jay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most of our IT jobs require 8-10 years experience plus various certifications, and we have no problem filling them. People are always looking for a better situation, whether it's moving to a better city, more pay, better benefits, or just
to escape unpleasant co-workers or boss. We also have paid internships but only for those recently graduated or in graduate school, and they only get people 6 months experience. Despite the unfortunate situation you are in now, you are gaining experience. For most people, it takes patience and time to get to where you want to be in your career.
Great! When do I start?

Pay and benefits must be good at your company if they fill things. I'm not in any way complaining that all jobs are asking for experience. A position requiring 8-10 years of experience sounds like a senior position and taking somebody who has no experience and placing many responsibilities in their hands isn't smart. Yeah, you could fire them if they fail, but they may leave you in a really bad position afterwards.

I'm talking about these other jobs who really don't seem to understand what they should be looking for. If a job is being called "entry level", it's a job that somebody wanting to get into the industry would want. If you ask for several years of experience, it defies all logic. You're asking for somebody who's already been in the industry for some time to work a position that's meant to give you entrance into the industry. Boggles my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment